Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh my god she is wearing a tin foil hat!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh my god she is wearing a tin foil hat!!

This is about the "That person is so crazy but I am so sane"

Basically what I mean is the person that would accuse the person that says, "The government wants to read my mind that's why I wear a tinfoil hat." of being bugnuts insane but then turns around and says, "They want to gather my web surfing data so they can hurt me with it" but doesn't think they sound crazy.

To me it sounds nuts. Like any time someone accuses a company of doing something not to try and oh I don't know make a profit but rather because the company wants to well rule the world is the best way I can put it.

I would like the tinfoil hat people take any of these people seriously if they could provide even the inkling of reasonable proof. You know like "The company X gathered Information Y and then suddenly they destroyed Jimmy's Credit Rating"

Instead they give vague hints of malicious activity that only they are smart enough to be privy to and can't or won't share any details because *sneaks a look* they might be listening. Or even worse they adore you for your naivete and don't want to tell you something that might yank you out of your comfort zone.

Is it just me or is paranoia becoming more socially acceptable?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I think it's just that tinfoil is so out of fashion.

Ok, on a serious note, yes paranoia is becoming more acceptable, it's what society is being pushed towards, look at what's reported in the media, but more importantly how, current affairs programs trying to convince us that terrorists/murderers/paedofiles are lurking around every corner just waiting to jump us, to survive we must always show CONSTANT VIGILANCE as Mad Eye would put it, or the world will be doomed.
    Last edited by Nyoibo; 08-09-2011, 04:41 AM.
    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
      I think it's just that tinfoil is so out of fashin.
      Funny but oh my god you suck. Your Location has a song stuck in my head.

*sings* "You come from the land down under"

In honor of your Edit my reply will also be in an Edit woo Hoo

*nods* Yeah I think that is a lot of the problem. People gushed about how we live in the information age while not actually considering what that means. As a kid many of my teachers insisted we be up on current events and until I was 11 there was no WWW and even when there was it was still the domain of geeks like me. As such I came into adulthood always hearing about the same amount of natural disasters.

Now though because of wide spread use of the internet now everyone is hearing so much more than just their local news show or newspaper and suddenly it's the end of the world.

I feel like Bison. It's a Tuesday.
      Last edited by jackfaire; 08-09-2011, 04:46 AM.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

I posted before I was finished, my bad, read the rest of my edit above.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
          I posted before I was finished, my bad, read the rest of my edit above.
          for fun I edited my response see above.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
            I feel like Bison. It's a Tuesday.

Ah, both relevant and geektastic. One internet to you, sir, the gentleman in the tinfoil hat! Come on down!

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
              Funny but oh my god you suck. Your Location has a song stuck in my head.

*sings* "You come from the land down under"

One of the earliest songs to make mention to zombies.

"Travelling in a fried out kombi....
              On a hippie trail, head full of zombie..." (doo doo doo doo)
              I met a strange lady, she made me nervous,
              She took me in and gave me breakfast....
              And she said....

Damn I didn't know what that second line actually meant....(it refers to smoking marijuana)

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                On a hippie trail, head full of zombie..." (doo doo doo doo)
                Based on the context (and sometimes state of the band during that period), they were talking about weed, not actually zombies.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                  Based on the context (and sometimes state of the band during that period), they were talking about weed, not actually zombies.

^-.-^
                  And now to get it stuck in everyone elses head.

Comment

I think paranoia is becoming more acceptable in the US in some cases. Elsewhere, not so much me thinks. But in the US right now you have this constant cycle of Fear > Ratings > Money > Fear going on with the media. Its a dangerous game as it brings them out of the woodwork.

People who 5 years ago would have been laughed out of any serious discussion are these days emboldened because the same crazy shit they think up is being legitimized to them by being on TV by some talking head ( or even a select few US politicians ). Making them think their views are acceptable or worse yet, wide spread. Thats when they go out and actually do crazy shit. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      But in the US right now you have this constant cycle of Fear > Ratings > Money > Fear going on with the media.
                      I would agree with that assessment.

seriously I saw an advertisement for bug repellant with the tagline: "It's West Nile season, are your children protected?"

Add in the fact that violent crime is on a downward trend, yet the news media always seems to have some story about violence....this is why I tend to get my news from NPR. I also think the near constant barrage of negativity from the news media is a contributing factor in some cases of depression.

I know it may seem a bit harsh to some people, but seriously I don't need to know a Nun from Albania died after an orphan stepped on her ingrown toenail, if it actually affected me I'd know about it before it was on the news, thank you. I'll trust NPR to keep me up to date on current world events and such.

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      People who 5 years ago would have been laughed out of any serious discussion are these days emboldened because the same crazy shit they think up is being legitimized to them by being on TV by some talking head ( or even a select few US politicians ). Making them think their views are acceptable or worse yet, wide spread. Thats when they go out and actually do crazy shit. -.-
                      this is helped along by the people that believe free speech=every viewpoint must be treated with equal respect.

No, Michelle Bachmann's ignorance* is not equal to Obama's knowledge and experience

or if that's too political for some:
                      I do not have to give equal respect to a medical professional's opinion and a meth addict's opinion on how to treat liver failure....

*though as a caveat, if I were a homosexual sex-industry worker I may ask her about the legalities of deducting condoms from my taxes as a "business expense", but only to watch her head explode....wonder if she'd still have perfect hair if it did....(yes the news media here just ran a story on how she has the "best hair" of the current candidates, a friend posted the story to FB)
                      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

yes the news media here just ran a story on how she has the "best hair" of the current candidates, a friend posted the story to FB
                        Pah.

John Edwards had superior hair. He was also a psychic. And a basketball player.

Am I conflating my John Edwardses? Probably.
                        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

You know though... I was kinda thinking of going as Paksenarrion to the next dragon con. Tin foil would make a very cheap set of armor and helmet

Comment

Working...
                          X