Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creepy like beauty in the eye of the beholder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creepy like beauty in the eye of the beholder?

I have noticed a trend not just when I flirt with people but when anyone does.

What you say is never as important as how you look.

If you are stereo typically gorgeous you can say some of the creepiest line and the person is gushing about how this hot person was flirting with him/her; however if you aren't classically attractive extra weight, skin problems etc then suddenly the same person is shuddering and telling their friends how creepy that person was for even deigning to flirt with them.

For example incredibly hot person leers at them and says something one step away from, "Hop into my bed it could be fun" and I hear "Oh my god that hot guy at the bar was totally hitting on me that is so freaking awesome"

Then same person someone who is overweight tells them, "I think you are very pretty" and not in a way that most people would define as creepy just in like you would observe beauty way and suddenly the person is all, "OH my god can you believe that person was hitting on me how creepy"

Is it just me and having shallow coworkers or do other people see that as well?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

You're not alone. I see this attitude too. I am back in college and it's all over the campus with the younger crowd but I am sure that it carries into older years as well.

Comment

One reason I never do anything that might remotely be considered flirting.

Of course, that approach (or lack thereof) has its drawbacks as well.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        One reason I never do anything that might remotely be considered flirting.
        That's why I've given up. I'm tired of wasting my time.

Comment

Well, at the very least, they're letting you know right up front that they're shallow twits who don't deserve the attention of anyone who wants a relationship with any depth.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Well - that's pretty normal, if you pause to think about it.

It's the same mechanism that lets you believe your significant other is beautiful, even if, maybe, she isn't (eye of the beholder, again). As humans, we are naturally predisposed to viewing people we like, love, or are simply attracted to, in a more favorable light than those that don't fall into one of these categories. This, of course, extends to their actions as well.

Therefore, people we like get away with more than we'd accept from people we don't like. It's not even necessarily a conscious action; we just rationalize bad behavior, until it has - for us - reached an acceptable level.

So, yeah: Creepiness and beauty are both in the eye of the beholder. The rest of the party is in the stomach of the Beholder...
            "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
            "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post
              So, yeah: Creepiness and beauty are both in the eye of the beholder. The rest of the party is in the stomach of the Beholder...
              See for me that's weird because to me I don't have a How much I like you VS how creepy you can be scale.

If I think flirting with me is fine it doesn't become creepy because I am not interested.

You grab my ass randomly I don't care how hot you are it's fucking weird.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

So, you've never been hit on by someone you found absolutely unattractive? Never had a one-second-impulse, "Ugh! What the hell?" response?

It's happened to me, once or twice, and I'm not exactly George Clooney. And while I try to be civil in such a case (mostly, because I always try to be civil unless the opposite is warranted), it wasn't fun. On the other hand, having an attractive woman show an interest in me is an ego boost.
                "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

So, you've never been hit on by someone you found absolutely unattractive? Never had a one-second-impulse, "Ugh! What the hell?" response?
                  Exactly. It's even happened to me, in my younger and thinner days. I distinctly remember being backed in a corner by a very tall, very overweight rugby player, who was insisting on my number. Gave him a fake one just to get him to back the fuck off. That, my friends, was creepy.

It can also be a matter of reading body language. A woman at the bar sipping a drink, reading the paper, or chatting with friends is probably not there to be ogled or hit on, and I don't think women have the responsibility to sweet talk every potential suitor. It's dangerous, for one. After all, we're all told to be clear and assertive with our 'no's, aren't we?

Comment

That's another good point: facial expression and body language of the wannabe-suitor. After all, no two people behave exactly alike; even if two guys used the exact same lines on one girl, she'd still feel differently about them, because they'll look, and sound, and stand/sit/lean, and smell differently.

Smell is, actually, more important in judging other people than we generally give it credit for. Our sense of smell is hard-wired directly into a very instinctive part of our nervous system (forgive me if I'm not 100% correct here, biology isn't my strong suit). If someone smells "wrong" to you - because your mind connects something about his smell with some unpleasant experience from years ago that you've forgotten all about by now - then it won't matter if they are friendly, charming, good-looking or whatever. You won't like them. And you won't even know why.

Comment

So, you've never been hit on by someone you found absolutely unattractive? Never had a one-second-impulse, "Ugh! What the hell?" response? .
                      Yes I have been hit on by people that I haven't found attractive but it never disgusted me or creeped me out. I was flattered and let them down gently.

Probably cuz until I was an adult I never got hit on like ever.

I was always the brooding loner kid and people steered clear even more so after Columbine

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                      Exactly. It's even happened to me, in my younger and thinner days. I distinctly remember being backed in a corner by a very tall, very overweight rugby player, who was insisting on my number. Gave him a fake one just to get him to back the fuck off. That, my friends, was creepy.
                      That is creepy period. If someone said that but inserted Brad Pitt and gushed about how awesome it was I would wonder what the heck is wrong with the person gushing.

Someone backs you into a corner insisting on your number that's a step beyond just hitting on you and well into creepy territory.
                      Last edited by jackfaire; 01-07-2012, 01:10 PM.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                        Someone backs you into a corner insisting on your number that's a step beyond just hitting on you and well into creepy territory.
                        That's the problem right there: the line between hitting on someone and being creepy is very thin, and very, very subjective. Most people probably aren't even aware that they're making a conscious decision about it, but it'll still pop up in their mind - either, "Hey, that cute girl is shooting me looks! Score!" or "Why is that woman staring at me like this? She reminds me of the character from Misery..."

It's an involuntary reaction.
                        Last edited by Canarr; 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Much of the time, the line between creepy and uncreepy has nothing to do with looks and everything to do with social cues and body language.

It's okay to shoot side-long glances across the room at a woman you are interested in. It is not okay to fix an unbroken gaze on that woman for the entire night.

It's all right to momentarily place your hand on a woman's arm while chatting with her, to indicate your interest, as long as that woman is being friendly to you and her body language is open. It is (usually) not okay to place your hand on a woman's arm to get her attention or to begin a conversation.

I could go on. My point is that sometimes I think guys blame their perceived physical flaws for coming off as creepy, instead of the fact that they have no game.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                            I could go on. My point is that sometimes I think guys blame their perceived physical flaws for coming off as creepy, instead of the fact that they have no game.
                            *High Five*

Comment

"That is creepy period. If someone said that but inserted Brad Pitt and gushed about how awesome it was I would wonder what the heck is wrong with the person gushing.

Someone backs you into a corner insisting on your number that's a step beyond just hitting on you and well into creepy territory."

Pitt wouldn't have backed said person into a corner because said person would have welcomed his advances.

Comment

Working...
                              X