Jocks vs Neeeeeeerds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jocks vs Neeeeeeerds

Old story, I know, but one that I'd like to share.
    I frequent a wonderful gather that is sometimes called Nerdi Gras, or more commonly known as Dragon Con.

Over the years as word got around about Dragon Con, 3 statements got accepted by those listening, 2 true, 1...not so much
    Statement 1
    DragonCon is a 4 day party where the booze does flow like water - FACT

Statement 2
    Hot, HOT women in various costumes ranging from Victorian age coverage to barely there - TRUE

Statement The Third (This is the important one)
    Said scantily clad women, being surrounded by geeks, freaks and NNEEEEERDS are obviously in need of good, strong fratboy loving. Not so fucking much.

Despite what CNN's fluff reporting piece here would have you believe, here's the reality of the situation.

During that weekend there were dozens of assaults, most of them sexual assaults on female attendees.
    As of friday night of the con, there were 11 police incidents, 1 of which involved a con goer (average is 3-4 from Thursday night, when about 1/4 of the attendees arrive, to Monday, the final day of the con). A boardroom meeting table was thrown out a window, an elevator was set on fire, TRIPLE the amount of convention badges were reported "lost" or stolen, and many of the costumers had to put up their costumes and go mundane for half the weekend.
    Reports were filed with the police, this past year new security procedures were put into effect that made the con safe and fun again, but those of us who complained to the colleges that the frat boy and jock influx had come from got told basically "Sorry, we can't control the students or influence how they act when at a football game, and no, we won't send word of this behavior nor will we be bringing it up again. Sorry your friend got bit till she bled. Toodles!"

Why am I bringing this up now, when the incidents happened a year and a half ago?

To be honest, a combination of the recent bullying thread got me to thinking, and then the SuperBowl, All Saints Day for armchair quarterbacks all over the country. It got me to thinking that someone who spends $1000 on the materials to replicate the War Machine armor (And I've seen it done. HOLY SHIT!) is pathetic and "needs to get a life", and yet if you blow $4000 per ticket to sit for a couple of hours and watch a football game you're AWESOME.
    And please don't say "well, the costumer spends hundreds of hours a year on well made costumes and sports fans don't"
    You mean the same sports fans who obsess over fantasy leagues, who spends countless hours watching baseball/football/basketball games, who LIVE for the next game day. These guys who give me shit because I play RPGs, LARP and enjoy time with the SCA?

So who's the bigger pussy, the one who only attacks in groups or the LARPer who is being chased down at 2 in the morning in the dark woods by a group of screaming goblins?

Hell, in high school and even some colleges, it's STILL accepted practice that if you read too many books and don't like sports you WILL be targeted and ignored if you dare to complain.
    Last edited by Silverharp; 02-10-2012, 03:53 PM.

I work at a Sporting Goods store, and I get this all the time.

I like sports. I enjoy keeping fit.

I'd rather be doing it so I can keep up with SCAdians rather than be out running a marathon. Although, holy shit, marathoners are nuts. You want a crazy culture? Go see what long distance runners do. Sheesh.

I believe the main issue is actually extrovert vs. introvert. Sports in general tend to fit into the extroverted category whether you participate or watch. Whereas most "nerd" activities tend to fall into the introvert category (reading, watching TV shows/anime), nevermind some activities are group (D&D, SCA). It's considered being away from "other" (read: normal) people.

But shame on the colleges for not really addressing the issue.
    I has a blog!

Comment

*eyes narrow* It's the Dwellers VS the Gamblers all over again.

At the college that I went to there were two tables of people always hanging out one table was playing illegal and against school rules poker games where by using things other than poker chips to exchange for money the school security and admin would say, "they are playing for pretzels not money" Uhm that kid's going to exchange those 20 pretzels for 20 bucks later and you know this so what what?

Meanwhile our table would play various geek games but were harassed for "gambling" because hey guess what some of our games use dice. Also if there were noise complaints, this was not a hall dedicated to studying this particular hall existed as a place for students to hang out and chill before there was a student center.

No one ever replied to noise complaints unless we were in residence then suddenly we had to keep it down even if we were literally the only ones there.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

I see this attitude all the time at my college. I spend my time between classes with a group of friends and we play Magic. There are often more popular students around at other tables. We have a janitor who hates the magic playing on religious grounds. (I overheard him talking about this when he didn't know yet that I was part of the group). He complains to security about us whenever he can. We are asked to move, told to quiet down, or just called out on silly little things. The other students are very loud, make HUGE messes and don't clean up, and violate the smoking policy every day. They rarely are reprimanded. The security guard that I complained to about the smoking just walked past them and never said a word to them. They also refused to investigate when the other students were stealing our cards and burning them in front of the building.

The general attitude is to assume that since we game that we are not serious students and therefore a waste of college resources. Having known people from both groups the opposite is true ON AVERAGE (I am not saying that all of us are good students or vise versa). We have several 4.0 students in our group and we always clean up our messes. I know several of the popular students who have failed so many classes that they are in year 5 at a two year school.

Sorry for the lack of editing...have to get ready for class.

Comment

Working...
        X