School forfeits championship ball game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School forfeits championship ball game

because the other team has one girl on it.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/05/1...30&feedID=3702

the school that forfeited:
    The school is affiliated with the U.S. branch of the Society of Saint Pius X, a group of conservative priests who broke away from the Catholic Church in the 1980s over church reforms.

In a statement to FOX News, an Our Lady of Sorrows official said the school had no choice but to forfeit: "Teaching our boys to treat ladies with deference, we choose not to place them in an athletic competition where proper boundaries can only be respected with difficulty,” the statement said. "Our school aims to instill in our boys a profound respect for women and girls."
    some more "old school" religious stuff.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

It's important to note that this is a baseball game, and not any sort of contact sport.

Honestly, the other team's official is a blithering idiot. Unless their team uses dirty tactics, then there's no lack of respect in playing baseball against a girl.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Our Lady of Sorrows can expect to forfeit a whole lot more games in the future, as their opponents add a token female to their roster. And then eventually, those "token females" will demonstrate their worth, and become full-fledged members of the team, leading the way for Baseball to be a fully integrated sport.

You know what? Don't change, Our Lady of Sorrows. I want you to be the lever that causes the very thing you dislike.

Comment

Wow, that's really dumb. Even being old-fashioned and not wanting to harm a lady, like Andara said, it's not a contact sport, so what's the big deal?

Unrelated: Why do all Catholic churches have such gloomy names? It's always "Our Lady Of Sorrow" and stuff like that. C'mon, be happy! Christianity is supposed to give you hope! Just once I'd like to see, I dunno, the "Yay Jesus! Catholic Church" or something

Comment

They don't all have gloomy names, but it makes sense of a church that broke off because mainstream Catholicism was too reformed.

And yes, all the teams they play who have any sense will add girls to the team, and then the problem will take care of itself: either this school will move up at least as far as the 20th Century or they won't get to play at all.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

"Our school aims to instill in our boys a profound respect for women and girls."

By refusing to play against their opponent because they have a girl on the team, they are doing the complete opposite and teaching the kids how to disrespect her. By refusing to play, they are saying she's nothing worth to be on the field with them and are teaching immoral lessons.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

"Remember kids, it's better to just quit and then complain that the opponant had an unfair advantage"
              Good life lesson there, padre

Comment

Originally posted by Silverharp View Post
                "Remember kids, it's better to just quit and then complain that the opponant had an unfair advantage"
                Good life lesson there, padre
                I don't think that's what happened here at all.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  I don't think that's what happened here at all.
                  Indeed.

The school that forfeited has held this stance for as long as they've been participating and doesn't seem to have any issue with other schools fielding co-ed teams - they simply will not compete directly against such teams.

The reason it became an issue in the championship game was due to the fact that the first two times the schools competed, the girl first sat out by the coach's decision, then volunteered to sit out by her own decision. However, her coach would not have her sit out on the championship game because he considered that she'd earned the right to be there and it wasn't fair to bench her due to the rules of another school.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Having a separate set of morals when it comes to women is a touchy subject. The standards that the person holds can come from either a positive or negative mindset.

See, some men believe it's improper to strike a woman. That moral platform can be seen as positive (being against domestic violence, treating a lady like a lady, etc), or negative (women are viewed as weaker and less powerful, so in all fairness they shouldn't be involved in a fight). There are people who see that moral standard one way or the other, and neither group can understand the other's viewpoint.

In this case, I see the same thing happening. The team who forfeited believe that women should be treated differently than men. Whether that belief comes from a positive or negative mindset is difficult to determine, but it seems like most people see it from the negative standpoint. Ex. "They think women are weaker so they refuse to play! They should play against all teams fairly!"

Comment

That's why context matters. Of course, you shouldn't hit a man either...
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                      X