When in Rome, ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When in Rome, ...

do as the English, French, Spanish, Americans, Canadians, Botswanas, etc etc... do??

I had a caller who wasn't aware of how things worked here (remember, I work for an electronic toll road), and because he wasn't a local, he was quite unhappy that things didn't work well for him, as an international tourist.

So - what do people think? Should we cater for internationals? Or should the onus and responsibility for understanding laws, procedures ect, be on the visitors?

(for the record, he was most unimpressed and ended up hanging up on me, because the system doesn't work the way he wanted it to - and was comparing it to back home in Germany..!)

Slyt
    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

http://www.gai-gin.com/nippon_visa.shtml

Gai-Gin has given me all the reasons I could ever need so far as wanting to research the shit out of ever going into another country. Not knowing the rules can be way more than inconvenient, it can get you into serious fucking trouble.

Comment

I don't think anyone should 'cater', but I think a little understanding on both parts is called for. Tourists should understand that things will be done differently in other countries, and locals should understand that tourists might not be familiar with the way things are done. You shouldn't bend the rules but taking time to explain them would be helpful.

Ditto to people who have recently moved. I just moved here a month ago, and I still don't know where everything is. So, I drive kind of slow, looking for signs, and ticking off all the locals. I don't know where I'm going!! Deal with it, folks.

Comment

Good engineering and planning go a long way to make intuitive layouts and systems that are intelligible to both natives and tourists alike. While tourists should be respectful of the mores of the place they're visiting, there is also an onus on the place being visited to not be a complete pain in the ass to navigate or comprehend.

Comment

I love the ones down here where I am now, who say "Yeah, I saw the signs, but didn't know what they meant, so I just kept going and ignored it. Why should I have to pay this fine, we don't have them where I'm from".

I love it, because where I came from, they don't have it either - so when I saw the signs, I got off the road!

They don't tend to say much after that......

AA - yep I agree. Problem is when they don't like the explanation you give them. Too often I will hear "Well it shouldn't be like that", "why don't they do it like this...", etc. Ummm - like it really matters at this point in time.....

AFP... just how do you have a place that isn't a 'complete pain in the ass to navigate or comprehend'? I mean, if you are going to a foreign place, isn't it by definition going to be at least a little difficult to comprehend? Sure, when we go to a somewhat similar civilisation (ie Europe, Nth America, Aus, etc), there are certain aspects we expect - red light means stop, flashy blue light on car behind you means stop really fast.

We have lots and lots of signs around (so that when someone says they didn't see any, they often get a bit embarrassed when I tell them exactly how many they missed). Surely, when travelling, signs are your guidepost? (no, not really an intended pun...).

I think part of the problem these days is things are handed to us so much, that we still expect it wherever we go... case in point (and related to this) - GPS. "Where were you travelling?" - "I don't know, I was following the GPS".
          ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

When I say not a complete pain, I don't rule out being a partial pain

Things don't have to be familiar, but if it's engineered in an intuitive fashion, then it makes it easier to navigate by locals and visitors alike.

For example, the town of Beaverton is a royal pain in the ass to get around in. streets laid at angles, dangerous intersections, just a pain. Downtown Portland is in a grid, with the named streets in more or less alphabetical order with plenty of public transit options such as buses, MAX and Portland Streetcar to navigate. Much easier for everyone involved.

Comment

when i say not a complete pain, i don't rule out being a partial pain
              I'm laughing (and typing this much cos it needs 10 characters )
              Last edited by Slytovhand; 09-15-2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X