Game: "All Opposed!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game: "All Opposed!"

I know this is an odd forum to have a game, but this one wouldn't fly on CS, and I want to play! I got this from a high school teacher. The rules are:

A topic is stated. It can be pretty much anything. You must argue AGAINST the statement made (you can also play this as "All in Favor," but "All Opposed" is more fun). There are only two real restrictions:

1. No fair answering if it's your signature issue-- the idea is not to know whether or not the person answering actually feels that way.

2. No fair suggesting topics being currently discussed here, since that would eliminate most posters due to rule 1.

So it would go like this:

Person 1 suggests the topic: "A law to ban cell phones in cars."

Person 2 must then argue against such a law. "What if there's an emergency? Should a person have to choose between obeying the law and answering a call from, say, a babysitter, knowing their children might be at risk?"

Person 2 suggests a new topic.

If you play this in person you can do it competitively, but here I think it's better played just for fun with no scoring or winners and losers.

The first topic is....

A 23-year-old former rugby player who became spinal cord injured has committed assisted suicide. In light of his youth and the short time (18 months) between his injury and his suicide, the Swiss clinic that helped him commit suicide should have refused him service. In the future, their regulations should be changed so that someone of his age, with the ability to continue living for years to come, would not be administered an assisted suicide.

All Opposed, say "Aye!"

Shouldn't it be "All opposed say "Nay""?

Nay!

It's a person's right to do whatever they want with their body and life - including ending it. It's not a moral judgement that should be forced on anyone. Doing so is merely judgemental, and invalidates that person's perspective on the world.

Topic:

That having arguments and debates is a good thing.

(I'm sorry - I know I can be a thread killer with my perverse sense of humour... but hopefully someone will bite ) But I am amused by the concept you have here, Saydrah!
    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

I accept your good-natured needling.

NAYE! (There, now it's both...)

Arguments and debates have no place in everyday social life. One should focus on areas of commonality and agreement in order to avoid driving away friends or associates. Nobody likes to be around someone who loves to argue. By contrast, compromise is an attractive trait. People skilled at compromising while keeping both sides happy are valuable in friendships and in business. Instead of learning to argue your side, learn to compromise, and everyone will be happier!

New Topic:

Immigrants applying for a green card should be required to get the HPV vaccine. Vaccinating immigrants will stop the spread of disease, and since most don't have health insurance, lowering rates of cervical cancer in immigrants will curtail rising health care costs.

Comment

NAY!

Additional requirements for immigrants is one of the first symptoms of xenophobia. This regulation would merely perpetuate a hatred against foreigners and continue a legacy of sexism. Gardasil has insufficient long-term data, and questions have been raised about the scientific rigor or lack thereof in the clinical trials.

New Topic:

The drinking age should be lowered to 18. Allowing 18- and 20-year-olds to get married, own property, enlist in the military, and make any legally-binding decision while withholding abilities granted to those merely a few years old is hypocritical, promotes unhealthy behavior, and lessens respect for the law.

Comment

Nay! Young brains and bodies are still developing until the age of 25. Potentially poisoning substances should be withheld until they can no longer interfere with development.

Next topic, Planned Parenthood expands its outreach in Portland, protesting is predictable and invited.
          Last edited by AFPheonix; 10-23-2008, 07:16 AM. Reason: I'm a tard

Comment

NAY!!

Planned Parenthood is a great organization that provides services for those who cannot afford to go to a doctor. They help those who are in need when other would turn them away. Why would anyone want to protest that?

New Topic:

The "Fairness Doctrine" should be updated to include not only talk radio, but satellite radio, satellite TV and cable TV (with all the expanded cable channels).
            Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

NAY!

The fairness doctrine's "neutral" stance is determined by the FCC, which is a government body. This is a direct violation of the 10th amendment.

New Topic:
              It should be illegal to sell mature games to someone under 18 years of age, regardless of parental consent.

Comment

NAY!

What a stupid rule! There is no evidence whatsoever showing that playing violent video games makes a kid carry out said violence in real life. This is just a stupid knee jerk reaction from people with no lives.

New Topic:

Women should be allowed to breast feed in public, regardless of whether or not it's appropiate.
                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

NAY!

Breastfeeding involves exposing what amounts to sexual organs in Western society. Breastfeeders say it's healthy and natural to feed babies from their bosoms in public, but masturbation is also healthy and natural, and you don't see me doing it in public, do you?

And if you do, please don't tell

New Topic:

Animal cruelty should be a felony in all states. Cruelty to animals is a reliable predictor of violence against humans. Most serial killers first mutilated animals. Nipping this violent behavior in the bud with a harsh punishment for the first offense would reduce spousal abuse and murder.

Comment

Nay!

Wankers such as the Animal Liberation Front and PETA would sieze on this to ban slaughter on the grounds that small amounts of pain involved are still cruelty.

New Topic:

Women should be encouraged to go topless!

Rapscallion
                    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Nay!

There are far too many women with less than pert breasts around, along with those over 40 with girls that are swinging by their ankles. O.o Think of the children!

New Topic:

Teenage mothers should automatically get large handouts along with a council house.
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Nay! Such programs reward irresponsibility and promote parenting as a career instead of a calling.

New Topic: Helmet and seatbelt laws are a good idea, as they encourage citizens to stay safe and help reduce traumatic injuries.

Comment

Nay!

You'd have to be an idiot to not wear a helmet or seatbelt. So if someone wants to increase their chances of obtaining a Darwin Award, who are we to deny them that honor?

New Topic: America as a society is becoming so embarrassing that people are beginning to say it should become a colony of England again to become respectable.
                          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Nay!!

England has enough to be ashamed about (nationalcricket team, national rugby team, spelling conventions, Prince Bigears, warm beer).

New Topic: New Zealand is a great place to go for a holiday.

(I am, of course, presuming this thread is meant more for humour than a serious thought pattern - yes???)
                            ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Nay! It sits in "The Ring of Fire", a circle of active volcanoes and has over 14,000 earthquakes every year!

New Topic: One should never eat raw cookie dough, due to the risk of salmonella poisoning.

(Don't worry, Slyt, no one takes you seriously anyway. )

Comment

Working...
                              X