CS Asian Stereotypes Fratching Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
    Bennet the sage has spoken about a few anime that have incest in them, some might be inaccurate (but at the same time accurate) translations, others though straight up no doubt about it incest.

So with Anime I take it with a pinch of salt, mind you I have not watched much anime for over a decade.
    There are very few with actual incest in them, especially in the main stream. Those that seem to have an incest theme are always a set up. Like they're not blood related because their parents remarried each other, one's adopted, etc. Now they have to live in the same house together and whacky hijinx ensue.

While its true there's a romcom trope of a cousin love interest ( She never wins, poor girl, but she's always there ;p ), that's a problem with western culture. Oddly enough. Marrying a cousin only has an ick factor in North America. The rest of the world doesn't care and the further east you go the less they care.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
      Therein lays the problem with direct translations though. In Japan you can use the term for brother or sister to refer to someone else even if they aren't related.
      It's like this in Korea, too. It's quite common to go out to eat at a restaurant and hear the ladies working calling each other "sister". They're not actually sisters, but it's like a term of affection.

Likewise, women will call their boyfriends "oppa", which means brother. Of course, they're not blood relations, so translating it into English can make it seem really weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
        Oddly enough. Marrying a cousin only has an ick factor in North America.
        Still a whole heap of US states it's legal in though.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Working...
        X