Russia not Suspending "Anti-Gay Propaganda" Law for 2014 Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia not Suspending "Anti-Gay Propaganda" Law for 2014 Olympics

Well it looks like despite Olympic Committee Assurances that gay athletes and athletic supporters will be subject to Russia's "Anti-gay Propaganda Law." As explained here, here , and in many other articles, the co-creator of the law stands firmly that the law should remain in effect during the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi. The law allows not only Russian citizens, but foreign nationals, to be arrested for for "promoting Non-traditional values", as prove by the arrest of two Dutch tourists earlier this month.

The law states you can be arrested if you are "Suspected of being Gay or a Pro-gay." SUSPECTED!

So what do you think about this? Should everyone boycott the 2014 games? Is there a way to protect gay athletes other than a boycott?

What do I think... well, first, that their law is all kinds of horrible, especially the way it's being used to do far more than its description would suggest. And second, that a boycott would serve no purpose, but it would probably be a good idea for gay athletes and spectators either not to go or to make certain they don't even hint they lean that way.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If they are already out, then it might not matter, if you can be arrested for being suspected of being gay then you might find yourself in the slammer as soon as you hit passport control.

Comment

For some reason, THIS scene comes to mind.

Comment

I'd be all for boycotting it. I'm sure Russia wouldn't dare arrest any Olympic athletes or anyone important. That'd be grounds for instant reprisals.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I think the best outcome for the IOC is to admit that they made a mistake in choosing Russia, issue an apology, and cancel the 2014 games... people will be irate, but at least they will still have their integrity in tact and can work on rebuilding. The moment the arrests start and the IOC is proven to be liars, they will lose credibility which will cause longer term damage to the games than canceling one game.
            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

The only times the games have ever been cancelled have been during the World Wars. They didn't even cancel during the Cold War.

Now, nations have boycotted for a variety of different social and mostly political reasons, so there's every incentive there. Especially given that Russia is probably dying for the money that will come out of the Games.

But the IOC probably won't cancel. And, to an extent, they don't have to. Their responsibility is to the running of the Games. As long as the Games can run smoothly, they don't worry about the international politics (again, as shown by their history with cancellations).

I do believe that America and other Western nations should declare that as long as the laws stand they will not participate; that would get Putin to back down quick enough. Any nations that do attend after that won't be able to make up the deficit that a Western boycott would do economically.
              I has a blog!

Comment

While not a fan of the new law : nothing I've read says it targets all gay people : just "pomoting homosexual behaviour". Sort of a 'Don't ask, don't tell' for the entire country. The Dutch tourists were arrested for filming a documentary on what it's like to be gay in Russia, accidentally interviewed a 17 year old, and ended up being fined for breech of visa conditions :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23407953

Which to me sounds like they'd gone over on a tourist visa – and working on a tourist visa is a big no-no : even in western countries.

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                I'd be all for boycotting it. I'm sure Russia wouldn't dare arrest any Olympic athletes or anyone important. That'd be grounds for instant reprisals.
                Like what? Any why? Goverments are fairly understanding that if one of their citizens break the law while in a foreign country, they run the risk of being arrested.

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                But the IOC probably won't cancel. And, to an extent, they don't have to. Their responsibility is to the running of the Games. As long as the Games can run smoothly, they don't worry about the international politics (again, as shown by their history with cancellations).
                Sadly, if the IOC takes a side, it would likely be against people protesting the law : like they did in 1968 after the civil rights protest. The Olympics, to them at least, is all about the sports.

What's going to be interesting is the World Cup in Qater : given their attitudes towards gays, women, and alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  Originally posted by Zod View Post
                  Like what? Any why? Goverments are fairly understanding that if one of their citizens break the law while in a foreign country, they run the risk of being arrested.
                  But this sounds like a "status offense". If someone is "out" at home, that alone could get them arrested in Russia regardless of what they do (or don't do) there. It could easily be abused to manipulate on-field results in Russia's favour.

Imagine this scenario: Country "X" has an athlete in a certain event (a 1-on-1 competition, such as Judo, rather than something measured against a clock/yardstick) who's widely believed to be the best in the world. This athlete is "out" at home, and is an activist for gay rights. Russia's athlete in the event is widely believed to be fairly good, but not quite as good. Athlete is arrested at passport control for what they did OUTSIDE Russia. Russia's athlete takes the gold.

Comment

not even. You can be arrested for suspicion you are gay. Not to mention, the standard of evidence required in court cases is... suspect. ( oh, the Russian government wants Gazprom to take over an oil company's assets? What a surprise, they haven't paid taxes since before they were even incorporated, and their directors are guilty of fraud. The oil company goes bankrupt, and Gazprom conveniently wins the auction of the assets at far below market rate.) Yeah... I'd be all for a boycott regardless, to be honest.

Comment

Why should Russia change the law? I don't agree with the law, however, it is entirely up to the participants of the Olympic games to decide to go or not. Like someone said earlier, what about the World Cup in Qatar? They make Russia look like San Francisco.

If I go to a different country, I will follow their laws. The only law I could really agree with being suspended/modified was the one in England that banned private gun ownership and that was due to it would have caused a great change in the games themselves, not the participants.

Also, if the Olympic Committee wants to show they are pro-equality, maybe they should start looking a bit closer at the host countries before awarding the Games. 2022 looks pretty "pro-equality" based on the cities in the running (except the China and former Soviet state bidders).

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
                        Why should Russia change the law? I don't agree with the law, however, it is entirely up to the participants of the Olympic games to decide to go or not. Like someone said earlier, what about the World Cup in Qatar? They make Russia look like San Francisco.
                        A: It legalizes bigotry. Which is bad.

B: Its a stupidfuckerifically broken. It is BEGGING for witch hunts to happen. You can be arrested for being suspected of being pro gay. Not even proven: SUSPECTED.

C: B can be abused to give Russia or its allies an unfair advantage as has already been pointed out.

Comment

Also, if the Olympic Committee wants to show they are pro-equality, maybe they should start looking a bit closer at the host countries before awarding the Games.
                          I don't blame the IOC for making a bad choice, seeing as this law was passed AFTER the games were awarded.

But I really am not going to put "Not allowed to even POSSIBLY be gay" on a list of laws that need to be changed. I'm willing to follow the laws of a country I go to, as long as those laws only apply to actions I take. If I had to fill out a form in order to get a chicken sandwich, I'd do that. But I won't stop being into guys because I'm in another country. Nor will I stop thinking that it's okay to be into guys. Thought crimes should not be the sort of thing you accept under "Well, you're gonna be there..."

I also find it ridiculous to consider a ban on someone's personal identity on anything resembling the same level a ban on gun possession. However sacred you find your right to own a gun, you don't get an unremovable gun grafted onto your hand at birth.

A: It legalizes bigotry. Which is bad.
                          No, it doesn't, it legally ENFORCES bigotry. If it merely legalized bigotry, it'd be a smaller issue. The laws in a large number of American states that allow discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity are laws that legalize bigotry. They're bad. Anti-Sodomy statutes enforce bigotry, but even they're not on the level of this law.

You can still get arrested in parts of the country for having gay sex but at least you can't be for WANTING gay sex.
                          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I retract the paragraph starting with "I find it ridiculous..." That was written in a moment of frustration and disgust. For obvious reasons, I find gay rights to be an extremely touchy subject, and pounce on things that seem like a slight when they really aren't.

Dale, I apologize for assuming that you would be as self-absorbed and idiotic as to actually hold the position that I suggested you did. I am truly sorry for implying that. I do honestly have more respect for you than that, it was a kneejerk reaction.
                            Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 08-08-2013, 09:51 AM.
                            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I'm just going to leave this here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor..._olympics.html
                              I has a blog!

Comment

Working...
                              X