Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any foreign animal delicacies you would not eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any foreign animal delicacies you would not eat?

This also counts sea food but it would make the title needlessly too wordy.

I myself could not willingly eat Dog meat and if I found myself in Korea I would ask whom ever I was with to make sure if it was on the menu that I did not accidentally order it (a quick wiki seems to say it's a seasonal dish and loosing favour).
    It's due to the domestication of cat's and dogs, I don't see sheep as pet's so I don't mind eating them knowing that my lamb chop was once a fluffy white lamb on the fields.
    It might taste nice, but knowing a dog is on my plate is off putting.
    The same goes for cat's.

Prawns
    God they look back at me with their dead eyes, I don't think I've ever been able to eat a prawn, yet I really want to eat a whole lobster, never tried it and it is normally expensive from what I can tell.
    One whole sea food turns my stomach and another makes me drool.

Snails, no thank you.

Bulls balls, no just no.

There are other meats that I would be indifferent to or willing to try

Horse meat, even though we have had our horse/beef scandal in the UK, I would not turn my nose up, but it is seen more for dog food (which stinks no matter the meat used), if I was served a horse lasagne and knew it was horse, I might try it, chances are I already have, or at least in Burger form.
    It wasn't the horse in the food I had issues with, it was the false advertising.

Veal, it's a bit too costly iir, that is why I've not tried it.
    Same goes for imported animals like Ostrich burgers and kangaroo meat.

Off the top of my head I can only think of a few where I would go no thank you, others it's due to availability or price more than social taboo's.

Thoughts?

I'm just a big fusspot

I've had Ostrich before, in burger form - there's a van that regularly comes to farmers' markets in the town my parents live. It's an odd mix between chicken and beef.

Had Kangaroo in steak form - ohmigod this stuff is delicious. Tangy and flavoursome. *drools*

Comment

I think someone had an Ostrich burger stall on the market here, but iir it was too steep for my wallet to try, else I might have, some are just overpriced compared to beef, pork or lamb and as I know where I stand with those regarding tastes I go for the cheaper known flavour, that's always the thing with niche markets, its over priced to factor in the low demand, but with a high price demand is going to be low.

Mind you I am not comparing it to the price of a McD or King burger as they are meat tasting products, but real burger burgers.

Comment

There are things I'm fussy about- I don't like eating animals that still have their heads on. I eat pork all the time, but trying to eat a pig luau style is just not happening. Same thing with fish, poultry...if its got eyes on my plate, I won't eat it.

Interesting about the prawns. I eat prawns all the time, I've never had one with its head on it. Same with lobster, though I'd be more likely to eat a lobster or a crawfish with its head on than anything else.

Insects I'd probably try, but unsure if I could if it was a large insect and notably insectile- like, a grasshopper that's just been fried, and still looks like a grasshopper. Snails I probably would not try.

No testicles, eyes, or brains of any kind. No embryonic ANYTHING (cooking turtles in their eggs, chicks in their eggs, etc.)

I'd probably try horse. Not Dog or Cat for the same reasons you listed. No endangered species- dolphin, panda, exotic species like that. Probably no primates.

Nothing that's still alive and moving.

Veal and foie gras is right out, but that's more the cruelty done before the food is created, not because of the type of animal it comes from.

Other than that, I'd probably be willing to at least try almost anything. I've had ostrich and buffalo. I love octopus and squid, I've eaten alligator and snake. I'd probably try more but I'm limited by my region and wallet.

Comment

Fuck eating a spider!

QI had some insect nibbles and the chocolate ant gave Stephen Fry heartburn or something, I don't recall exactly, the sting on the scorpion lollypop was not confirmed to be dormant or removed due to death.

The whole bush tucker trials of "I'm a celebrity" and the likes, I might try grubs as long as it is a proven food source and not a "let's see if someone will eat this" this grub is eaten a lot, this one is not and there is a medical reason.

I went to a small music 'festival' a decade ago and they had a hog roast, I was going to take a photo or two of it before it was carved up but was watching a band at the time and kinda got distracted.
          I'm not sure if the head is edible or if it was ever left on as table dressing in medieval or at least period movies, I know you can get pigs ear dog treats, not tempted to try one out myself mind you.
          I prefer Bacon out of the pig, my brother can not and will not eat Sausages, years ago I joked that he's half Jewish due to this.
          I like Gammon steaks but the pub meal one I had last was almost sandwich ham in thickness, our work cut ones were at least 5mm thick and yummy.

I have a squick about eyes too, I come close to vomiting just pulling my eye down a smidge looking in the mirror, not going to wear contacts due to it, probably would be the only part of guinea pig that I could not stomach should I watch it.

Eating brains again probably not, however eating a dish out of a monkey skull ala temple of Doom, maybe, but probably a fake one.

this is where I find the closest colour to the back ground (last time I failed and edited it gawd knows how many times)
          A decade ago I was chatting to a random guy 10+ years older than me at the local JD Wetherspoons around lunch time, I think it was the day I signed the lease to this room looking back.
          He said he had either been on an SAS survival course or knew someone who was ex SAS or had done one, he gave me a tip should I ever choose to eat a monkey, not sure if it applied to just certain types of primates or just the smaller breeds but I'm leaning to the smaller ones
          cut the head off before you skin it or it will look like a human baby and you will probably not want to eat it after that.

Comment

Being a military brat, I grew up in a lot of different places, among a lot of different cultures. In addition to that, I've done a lot of travelling for work or on my own. At some point in time, I've tried many of these delicacies. Some out of curiosity, others out of not wanting to be rude.

In Mexico, where my mom's family is from, they eat just about every part of the cow. You can go into a taqueria and order tacos made with brain, tongue, face meat, and even the stomach. If cooked right, it's all delicious.

When I lived in the Philippines, I tried Balut on a dare. It smells worse than it tastes, but the texture, not to mention the bones, is what's vomit inducing in my opinion.

When I went to China to train at the Shaolin Temple in 2004, they brought us a lot of food we couldn't identify. There were many things I tried and liked, many I didn't. The only saving grace is that despite being Buddhist, they did serve us a fish with every evening meal. An entire fish. Head, eyes, and all. One day it was wrapped in foil and broiled. The next, it was battered and fried. Like others have said here though, it's hard to keep your appetite when there's a set of eyes looking back at you.

The weirdest thing they ever served us was french fries with candy sprinkles on them.

Needless to say, in the few days we spent in Beijing afterwards, we cleaned a local TGIFridays out of hamburgers.
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

While i usually have no qualms about eating innards (haggis is great, and a good bolognese sauce simply requires liver, imho), i would draw the line at brains, eyes and testicles.

Also i could never eat any insects or insect-like animals, simply because i'm afraid of them (their shape) when they're alive. That includes crustaceans as well.
              Last edited by Kelmon; 08-17-2013, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I won't eat it if I can still recognize it and/or it looks like it can still recognize me.

That said, I must confess that as a Canadian I have eaten moose. Its fairly close to beef but sort of a bit sweeter I guess.

Comment

I would likely have no difficulty eating the regular meat portions of anything mammalian that isn't ape or primate. It would make me sad to eat cat, but it wouldn't squick me out at all.

I have zero issues with most seafood/crustaceans.

I've never had snails, but if they're as chewy as I've heard, that would be a non-starter. Texture is a big deal to me.

And that would most likely be the problem with eyes.

I can't say what I'd do with insects. I'd like to think I could get past the ick factor to try one, but I have no idea. For all I know, I wouldn't even have a problem. It's never come up, however. Though I can say that if it were crunchy, that would be a non-starter. Same with anything with bones in.
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Snails and clams I can't due to texture.

Sharks because I feel it is wrong when so many are killed just for fins.

Cat/Dog they are pets.

I will eat kangaroo and ostrich because both are normally farmed. I will also eat deer/moose/elk cause they are yummy.

I have had horse, I didn't like it.

Comment

"I wish I was in Tijuana eating barbecued iguana…"
                      Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                      Eating brains again probably not, however eating a dish out of a monkey skull ala temple of Doom, maybe, but probably a fake one.
                      I ain't eating a damn thing from that movie.
                      "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

I don't like organ meats other than heart, though I will occasionally do a small amount of foie gras and liverwurst/braunschweiger. I think the latter is part and parcel with an iron deficiency. I have eaten brains but don't prefer the taste.

I have and will eat horse, dog and monkey but would prefer not to eat dog and monkey and refuse to eat cat. [predators/carnivores can have an off flavor, sort of a sweet metallic taste.] I would not have eaten dog or monkey, but they were fed to me without me knowing about it beforehand [by different people] I would eat pretty much any herbivore non primate.

I will eat most birds though I have never eaten peacock or swan I understand that they are stringy, and swan is rather fishy tasting due to its diet. I will not do fermented/aged eggs nor embryonic eggs.

I am allergic to bivalves - clams, mussels, oysters, coquina all make me projectile vomit, scallops give me the runs so I avoid all bivalves on principal - obviously there is some variant in how much they disagree with me but I am not feeling experimental. Perhaps if I were stuck on a desert island and they were one of my only food choices I would have to determine of the local variants were safe for me to eat or if they would deplete my body through vomiting and the runs.

I like limited fishies - I dislike the strongly fishy ones like mackeral, sardines, sprat and the like - I really only like the cold water white fish - cod, haddock, pollock and certain flatfish - flounder, sole. I tend to shy away from freshwater fish like perch because they have a zillion tiny bones, and I got a bone stuck in my throat when I was about 6 and it turned me off of fresh water fish for years. I can literally only eat them if I flake the entire fillet and check it for bones before eating it. Not a good sight in a restaurant.

I will not eat slime, so snails are right out, and I dislike octopus and squid though sea urchin eggs are good. Rich, but good. I do like shrimp, crab and lobster.

Absolutely NO on land bugs and wormy maggoty stuff. Snake is ok though, as is lizard like gator. Had some great gator nuggets in New Orleans when I was there in the early 80s.

Comment

I went out for dinner with my husband last night for our anniversary, and the restaurant was very proud to announce that they were the only place left in the city to serve foie gras. I passed, because even as a carnivore, I find that practice particularly cruel.

I did, however, have rabbit as an appetizer. It's not an unusual dish in high-end restaurants, but I had never had it before because I love bunnies. It was delicious. Now I'm a bit torn.

Comment

Oh god I can now add soups to the list, new house mate works two jobs, her 2nd gave her a bag, a big bag of just about shelf life soup or 'thick' smoothie, not tried one to ever know consistency.

yep it looked like a bag of ...

and when she took it out and dropped the paper bag it came in, it THUNKED, I do hope something not liquid was also in the bag.

Comment

I don't think I could ever eat dog or cat. I've smelled dog cooking while walking through a particularly sketchy alley in Seoul, and it was not a pleasant smell Also, beside the pet factor, I don't like the custom behind how they are killed. I know this is also a problem with many awful meat farms in the US, too, and that bothers me just as much.

I'm not a fan of things with their heads still on 'looking' at me, either. Since living here I have had more full fish set in front of me than ever before in my life. It doesn't squick me out much, but I really hate trying to eat around little bones while using chopsticks.

Not sure I could eat bugs, either. Although before moving back to the States, I hope I will be able to overcome my grossed-out-ness enough to try boiled silkworms. We'll see.

After talking to an Australian friend, I would be more inclined to try kangaroo if given the chance, as in Australia they are not seen as cute or cuddly or pet-like, they are just pests that eat people's farms and gardens.

I have tried alligator, venison, buffalo, frog, eel, squid, and octopus (though I'd never be able to eat a live octopus that is a delicacy here... too dangerous and I don't think I'd get past the texture). I've had prawns and like them, but have seen prawn heads on pizza here and that kind of turned me off a bit

Comment

Working...
                              X