No announcement yet.

What's a good way to explain this......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good way to explain this......

....without giving off the impression that I'm racist, anti-immigration, or against the idea of learning another language? (especially since that's kind of a touchy subject in this state)

To make it short - it's kind of getting to where being bilingual gives a person a better chance at getting hired in the library, but the main focus is on Spanish. I don't agree with this for a lot of reasons, one being that I feel we are already very accommodating of Spanish-speakers, but do not do this for speakers of other languages.

Anyhow, I AM taking a foreign language in college, and when mentioning it various people, I have been asked why I chose that language and not Spanish. (just for the record, I did take Spanish in high school, but I don't remember most of it)

I'm a tad confused as to what you're asking.

I don't know where you live, but in many American cities, English and Spanish are the two most spoken languages. There are other languages spoken for sure, but they are a distant third compared to the two most prominent languages. Therefore, it would make sense that one would prefer Spanish as second language compare to, say, Mandarin where there might be far less people in that location who use it.

If you're taking a different language, then that's great. I don't know why anyone would object to that. Being bilingual can help in many professions, and if you're bilingual in a language other than English and Spanish, I'm sure you'll find a job that fills that niche nicely.

Comment

Sorry about that, didn't mean to sound confusing....I'm trying to avoid giving info that would be personally identifying. What I was trying to say/ask was "What's a good way to explain why I chose to focus on "Language X" instead of Spanish?

Comment

Well, I guess the middle paragraph of your OP is your reason? That there are already plenty of bilingual workers in the library who speak Spanish, and you feel it could use an additional bilingual worker speaking another language for whomever wants to speak to you in that language?

Explaining it that way, I don't see any negative racist or anti-immigration connotations from that, and if anyone takes offense to it, that's their problem, if you ask me. I mean, heck, if someone is going to declare you anti-immigration because you chose, say, Japanese instead of Spanish, that's a level of stupid I rarely encounter outside of the Internet.

Comment

Just tell people that you didn't choose the language you are taking for purposes of communicating with Spanish speakers.

I took German in high school. And when people ask why, I tell them that it's because I'd be hopeless at French (I don't typically say that I think it sounds ugly, too >_> ) and I don't plan on being anyone's translator and if I knew Spanish, that's what would happen. Unfortunately my high school didn't offer Japanese.

I don't run into a lot of people who speak Spanish as their native language, but when I run into someone who just says "no English" that person has, without fail, been a filthy stinking liar. The ones who legitimately can't speak any English at all will either have someone with them to translate, or will attempt to get something across.

The assholes who live across the street from me speak English enough to get by, but since they're assholes, they play up the language barrier so they can ignore our complaints. The send the kid over if it's something they consider important, but you can hear them laughing about it nice and loud because it's no fun if they don't make sure that we know they're dissing us. >_>
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I took Spanish in high school because that was the only thing they offered. Then the year after I graduated, they added an online program where you could learn Japanese, German, French, and a few others. I know Spanish is similar but I would have LOVED to learn Italian.

Comment

Is there a particular reason you chose to learn the language you are taking courses in? Other than - at least it's not Spanish. If you don't feel it's too personal you could explain the actual reason: it's the language spoken where my family is from, I always thought it sounded beautiful, I've always wanted to read the original version of (book), I love the music by (band) and want to know what they are saying, I've always wanted to visit (country), whatever your actual reason is.

Comment

My mom is very fluent in German. While we don't have a huge Spanish speaking population here, it's decent sized. Because of the general push towards people learning Spanish if they are going to learn a language for work, she came in handy because she spoke a different language that no one else in her department spoke. Because she was a nurse, having someone who could translate helped a lot. It didn't come up as often as Spanish, but when it did come up, she was usually the only one there who could translate. While I can see how Spanish can be a useful language to learn, sometimes knowing a different language can come in handy even more.

Really though, when people ask, all they need to know is "this is the language I was interested in learning." Anything else isn't their business and isn't necessary to explain.

Comment

If they get really narky about it, you could explain that you tried learning it in High School and just couldn't get the hang of it, so you decided to try another language. And, I agree with others, having a different language is an asset.

I had a choice of Italian and Indonesia in High School. We had 6 months of each then picked one. I choose Italian even though I struggled with both because I wasn't interested in either. Now I can count to 10 and can mostly recognise the other numbers and words when they are written down. But the only spoken words I recognise are the swear words.

If I had a choice I would have preferred Welsh, Irish, German or Ukrainian. Even Polish or Russian would have been easier for me because my grandparents were from Ukraine and they spoke Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, German and English. Only Pop could read, but speaking 5 languages is pretty bloody good.

Comment

I would love to learn French, Welsh, Japanese, and even Anglo-Saxon… but first I have to learn C++, Java, JavaScript, Perl, Python, Oracle, Cobalt (?), and anything else that comes to mind (including brushing up on my PHP and SQL).
                    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
                      Cobalt (?)
                      I don't know of any language called Cobalt, so I can only guess you mean COBOL.

If that's the case, then why would you do that to yourself?
                      "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                      TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
                        I don't know of any language called Cobalt
                        Maybe it's what hooloovoo speak

Comment

I got tired of trying to force myself to learn Spanish because I'm simply not interested in the language or the culture. I AM interested in Finland and learning Finnish, so that is what I've been trying to teach myself off and on. No, it will probably never be useful unless I travel there, and it's a difficult language so I may never be any good at it, but it's what I want to do for my own reasons, and not because "it'll be useful." I had my fill of "it'll be useful" in college when I caved to what my parents told me I should do, rather than figuring out what my dream was.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylyn View Post
                            I AM interested in Finland and learning Finnish, so that is what I've been trying to teach myself off and on. No, it will probably never be useful unless I travel there, and it's a difficult language so I may never be any good at it, but it's what I want to do for my own reasons, and not because "it'll be useful." I had my fill of "it'll be useful" in college when I caved to what my parents told me I should do, rather than figuring out what my dream was.
                            Just be aware that they'll laugh at your pronunciations. Don't take it personally; they do that to everyone.

My grandfather was a Finn, but as his parents came over before he was born, I don't really know much of the culture. Learning more via webcomics, of all things. Scandinavia and the World and Stand Still, Stay Silent are both written by locals (Denmark and Finland, respectively) so it's neat when they talk about home stuff.
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
                              I don't know of any language called Cobalt, so I can only guess you mean COBOL.

If that's the case, then why would you do that to yourself?
                              I heard it in passing during a conversation between my father and an uncle, but I didn't ask to clarify the spelling. At least my D&D side didn't flare up and type "Kobold," but that's why I appended that question mark at the end.

As for the "why?" Eh, I just want to learn whatever I can. I've even thought about learning Basic just so I can create some new "dungeon tiles" for the old Ultima games.
                              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                              X