Is "Entitlement" really such a sin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "Entitlement" really such a sin?

Before you shoot me down, I'm not talking about those who actually think they are better than everyone else and demand special treatment. Jerk customers take the entitlement thing to the point where they think that they deserve the best at the expense of others. So no, I'm not condoning people who think that others "owe" them something just because they're the best.

I'm talking about feeling entitled to a decent life and the right to live as you please as long as you're not hurting or affecting anyone else in a way that prevents them from carrying out the same wish. There are a few times on both here and CS where I think the suck falls on the company for implementing such unfair rules or policies and it's not totally the customers fault (they just made an honest mistake). And it's not like they were asking for anything unreasonable either. In instances like those, I fail to see why feeling entitled is such a bad thing. It may be a pain for the employee to deal with it and it's not their fault, but neither is it the customers fault.

I'm going to use an example to demonstrate my point: education.

Sucky student: A student who intentionally disrupts class and then pulls the "I'm paying your salary" card to excuse it. Or a student who demands an A regardless of how much effort he or her put in.

Not sucky student: A student who sees an unfair rule or policy and challenges it. These can range from strict attendance policies, professors or teachers demanding things be done a certain way (when there are other ways that work better for students), or if it's a high school setting, the many many rules that schools implement just to control students. Now I'm sure there are limits as to how far they can go to challenge it, but for this example, let's assume they're just asking for change and using reasons why they think the rules are unfair.

The students in the first example were sucky for demanding special treatment for nothing. There was no injustice and they probably wouldn't be able to make a good arguement why they deserve the grades or should be allowed to disrupt class without anyone challenging them. However, I fail to see the suck in the second example. These people are merely challenging rules that are most likely unfair. They have good reasons for why the school should change the rules. And yes, I believe that because their money is funding the system, they should at least have some say as to whether or not a rule is unfair; especially when you consider who education is supposed to benefit. But apparently, they think the rules don't apply to them. Never mind that THEY THINK THE RULES SHOULD CHANGE FOR EVERYONE NOT JUST THEMSELVES.

Another example to show the difference: Let's assume a law is made that forbids people from swimming on Sunday.

Person A: Gets caught swimming on Sunday, but either tries to excuse, deny it, or even pull the race card, or any other card to make him an exception to the law.

Person B: May or may not be caught swimming on a sunday, but questions why such a law exists in the first place. He speaks out against the law, not just for himself, but for Person A and anyone else affected by the law.

Now I don’t think any person is really in the wrong or right for swimming on Sunday, but there’s a difference between the way Person A handles it and the way Person B handles it. Person A’s method for fighting the law is pretty sucky, but Person B is at least realizing that the law may not be right and is using his democratic right to challenge it. In this case, yes, I would think that everyone is entitled to swim on Sunday. I mean why not? Who is being harmed by someone swimming on Sunday?

I’m probably sounding like a broken record here but just because someone makes a rule or law doesn’t mean they are right. I believe there are good reasons for limiting someone’s freedom of choice. Obviously, we don’t want to live in a society where stealing and killing others is accepted, but when we get people making half ass laws either for religious reasons or to force me to do something “because it’s good for me” (when I should be the judge of that), then I gotta ask why? Does the law really serve it’s purpose (if it even has a purpose?) or maybe that purpose is not really for our benefit. Same thing applies to educational settings. When I really take a look at some of the rules High Schools have, the only purpose I see is unnecessary control. I don’t think it would be much to ask to change the rules under those circumstances.

So to keep this from becoming too long (if it isn’t already), I fail to see why it’s so bad to feel entitled to certain things. Do I feel entitled to a million dollars? No, but I feel entitled to a fair chance to make good money and possibly become a millionaire. I think when you make entitlement sound like this horrible sin, you run into this problem of feeling like everything deserves the worst, and that’s just not healthy. So yeah, too much entitlement can be bad, but there is healthy entitlement.

In the example of the student, they need to take the complaint to the correct person, which is frequently *not* the professor. If the professor is being unfair, then you should go to their department chair or dean, and up the chain of command as required. If it is a larger rule (academic misconduct policy, grading scales, etc.), then you can go to a dean, the student success office, or lobby for changes through the Student Senate (every campus has one, and they are usually quite powerful).

Those are effective ways to change something. I have no problem with someone seeing an inequity and going through the proper channels to change it. However, bitching and moaning to a professor, or worse, a TA who has *no* power, does no good except to get you labeled as a whiner.

Comment

That's true. For example, if I wanted to let my school know how I feel about their attendance policy, I'd probably go to their main office and write a letter there. Though I might ask the professor for an "excused" absense, I'd take my main beef to the heads.

Though I think for unfair professors, it's best to at least start your beefs with them. See if they are willing to listen first. If not, then go up to the heads. And no, I've never felt the need to file a complaint (despite all my ranting and raving I'm not very confrontational). I've voiced all my criticisms and complements towards professors through those teacher evaluations.

Comment

Teacher evaluations are helpful, but they don't help you in the moment.

And, really, don't gripe to a TA. Please. I have absolutely no power to change any of our course policies, even the ones I don't agree with. Those are set by the professor. I can make suggestions, I can tell the professor that, "Hey, some of my students are unhappy." But it's really better to either go to them or to their higher-up.

Comment

However, bitching and moaning to a professor, or worse, a TA who has *no* power, does no good except to get you labeled as a whiner.
          It might also get you pointed in the right direction *to* get something done. Especially if you don't yet know the source of the offending rule.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
            Teacher evaluations are helpful, but they don't help you in the moment.

And, really, don't gripe to a TA. Please. I have absolutely no power to change any of our course policies, even the ones I don't agree with. Those are set by the professor. I can make suggestions, I can tell the professor that, "Hey, some of my students are unhappy." But it's really better to either go to them or to their higher-up.
            I haven't had TA's yet, but I can't believe people would complain to the TA about the professors policy. Well I can believe it because some people are morons, but it makes no sense and is probably just beating a dead horse.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            It might also get you pointed in the right direction *to* get something done. Especially if you don't yet know the source of the offending rule.
            True. That's why I think it's best to start from lowest to bottom. In regards to the attendance policy, I found out about it from a professor who was against it but said he had to abide by it because of the higher ups. He was actually the one who said if you have a beef to start from the bottom up. Though I think it's annoying that there's always someone higher, but that's burueacracy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
              I suspect your students feel more comfortable addressing you than the professor. They'll have more interaction with you, and I'm willing to bet (based on what I know of you here) that you're very approachable.

Now, if you tell them that they're complaining to the wrong person, and you're powerless to change things, and they persist in bitching to you and no one else, then they're being kind of sucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                I suspect your students feel more comfortable addressing you than the professor. They'll have more interaction with you, and I'm willing to bet (based on what I know of you here) that you're very approachable
                Yeahhhh....I try to be. Some of the TA's try to be really professional and professor-like, but I take a much more relaxed stance, generally. Dick around though, and I come down like a tower of fire. (The girls playing on Facebook when we had a *guest speaker* found that out really quick.)

In my specific situation, our professor is kinda distant. He insist that they call him Dr. or Professor SoandSo, and really, he's one of those that would rather be teaching graduate seminars or doing research. I have no idea why he's teaching this class. He also has a way of deflecting problems with witticisms and sarcasm. Most of the time that's appropriate, but sometimes I'm just like, "Dude, cut them a break."

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to OT.

Comment

Well, even the people who have "no power" still have the choice on whether or not to enforce it. Take for instance, a traffic cop. He might see that I have a crack in my windshield and write me up for it. Even though the crack is nowhere near the required visibility areas. He might say "I don't make the laws, I just enforce them."

So yes, the traffic cop cannot change the laws. Even though its a stupid law. A crack that's way up in the tinted part, or way at the bottom where all you see is the hood, has ZERO effect on your visibility.

But this traffic cop also has a choice on whether or not to issue the ticket. Many authority people are like this. They are given leeway on when and where to enforce which rules.

That irks me when people are like "Well, I'm afraid I have to write you up for this." no you don't. You choose to. At least admit it. "I choose to write you up for this because I'm a dick." That's a little better. If you're a professor, don't tell me you HAVE to fail me because I missed more than 3 classes. You choose to. Are you going to be fired, raped or murdered because you let it go? If you are, then fine, you really have to. If not, fuck off. You're choosing this.

And just because something IS on the books doesn't mean its right, fair, or even sensible. I got in trouble in school once because I used the same paper for two classes. My arguement - nowhere in the rulebook does it say I can't do that. Their argument - plagiarism even counts when its your own work.

Except it doesn't. Some douchebag professor or lawmaker or someone just wrote that down one day on a whim and decided to make it a rule. But just because someone wrote it down doesn't make it so.

Comment

Um, actually I do. If I don't do the things that my professor tells me to, then I lose my job, my only source of funding, and my tuition waiver. I may disagree with the way my professor does things, but I like not paying tuition and having a paycheck.

I will agree with one thing he does - he doesn't make exceptions except in extreme circumstances. If you start making a lot of exceptions, then you've got a big mess on your hands. "Well, you excused so-and-so's absences!" "You rounded up their grade, why don't you round up mine???"

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with exceptions if they were kept within the standard. For instance, if you round up someone's grade because you know he put a lot of extra time in and really showed the extra effort, fine. But then you have to round up EVERYONE'S grade who showed the extra effort. And not just people you're buddies with.

That's typically a problem I run into. "You made a mistake! You must be punished."

"You didn't punish the other guy."

"Yeah, well, he's my friend."

Comment

I gotta add something, I despise the term "special snowflake". I don't think it's always an insult either (though it's always intended to be). I mean, yeah, I've known a few "special snowflakes" who I wanted to punch in the face. You know those types where every little thing has to go their way or they throw a fit? Especially if they are children who are obnoxious brats despite their parents treating them like their one of a kind.

But I don't think every "special snowflake" is a jerkass. Because for some, their only crime is just being different from the norm and expecting a little respect. But because they don't comform to certain standards, they think they are "special" and deserve ridicule.

Comment

Working...
                        X