Stubborn to the point of FAIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn to the point of FAIL

I saw it on someone's signature in CS.com about how if you don't get the desired result the first or first few times try something different. Its not word for word but the point remains.

Was watching a friend do this. With his life in general from the small issue of video games to life in general.
    First example playing a video game. The first few tries he doesn't make it past that one part or keeps dying. So he keeps doing the same thing or same move/maneuver because in his mind if i keep trying it has to work! When all he has to do is move over a bit to another area and do the maneuver or do a very similar maneuver that is one button off in difference or after spending 20 something lives either asks me to do this while watching or quits.

When he hands the controller over to me i MAKE him watch how to do it. Yet no, even though I won and got him the bonus item (I'm not that good just practiced often) I'm still wrong or if he just kept trying he will get it.

This filters through with his stuff at home. With chores, with remembering. I don't have to write it down I'll remember! yeah then why is your gf on your case because you forgot...AGAIN.
    Or stop going to that place if they continue to give you bad service! Yet he doesn't do these at his job. He actually excels at his job and has yet to make the connection that hey try something different and you get a diff. result from his job to anything else...I suppose his mindset is geared to different places different setting...yeah not really. I wonder if he doesn't have some disorder or learning disability as sometimes he has great difficulty grasping simple things such as the above or that ok to save time instead of going out twice today we are going out once at 1pm and making two stops.

I have never once called him stupid because I know he isn't yet he approaches things differently that in the long run could save time and effort and still get the same result if not better than going about it the hard way. Ie don't have to get angry and can save yourself some suffering.
    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
    Yeah we're so over, over
    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

I feel your pain here. I know it's not the same, but sometimes I'll try and teach my boy how to play a game...he's only 6, but he's a very intelligent 6. He's smart, can read really well, comprehends really well. So it's not a "6 year old thing". It's a "stubborn as all fuck" thing.

"How do I do this?"

"Oh you gotta remember where the cards are. See, you flip over this one, and its a star. Didn't you just see a star over here? So click there."

"No no I don't want to." Clicks elsewhere. Lose.

"Ok lets try again, there's a star here, now click on this card here because there's the other star."

"But I want to click over here instead." Lose. "Awwww I lost again can you help me?"

"Yeah, see, click here." <clicky>. "Now click here."

"No, I want to click over here instead!" Lose.

This is basically any game he plays. "Put the Z shaped piece right here, then you get 3 lines!"

"No no I want to put it over here where it makes the least sense." FAIL. Then..."AW I LOST AGAIN WHY WON'T YOU HELP ME!?!?!?!"

Comment

Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Comment

Honestly, he sounds a bit Aspie.

This isn't one of the things I ever did, but a lot of Aspies tend to have a really difficult time adjusting strategies. They know a way that should work to get from point A to point B, and it for some reason it doesn't work, they'll keep trying because that's the way that's set in their minds.

My favorite example from work: Woman came to negotiate to buy some parts from Old Boss. Her percieved steps were as follows: Arrive, Negotiate, Pay, Leave. Old Boss, however, decided that since we'd bought a lot of stuff from her, and made quite a healthy profit from the association, that he'd just give her the parts. We weren't moving them on our own and they were taking up space. He essentially eliminated the Negotiate and Pay steps she had mapped out. It took over 30 minutes for her to be able to accept that she could leave without any negotiation or payment.

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
        I know it's not the same, but sometimes I'll try and teach my boy how to play a game...he's only 6, but he's a very intelligent 6. He's smart, can read really well, comprehends really well. So it's not a "6 year old thing". It's a "stubborn as all fuck" thing.
        He's definitely just being stubborn.

He wants to make his own rules rather than play by the ones already set, and then gets angry when the game won't let him. Perhaps if you gave him analogies for games and rules that he already understands, you can get him to understand about the games.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yep DrFarook, thats how friend reacts sometimes. Last time he did that I said because I am trying to help you and you don't want to listen, not my fault you want to be dense!
          We have not spoken since...last week. I know he is sore at me for it and thinks I should apologize. I will...when he contacts me. (this isn't the first time we've had a fight I know his patterns)

Thank you LewisLegion!

Andara. I have no idea if he is Aspie, or anything. I have seen similar tendencies of ADD or ADHD as he will have spurts of "I need to clean this up!" and will, then see something else and start on that and leave the other mess half done, and so on until it eventually all gets cleaned. But by then the day is almost done and there are still some little messes left but the majority is done.
          Or he can focus on some things but its a trance like focus. Especially with video games, manga or his interests. Trance like in that i have to almost yell at him (not yell but raise my voice to near yell tone) snap my fingers or reach over and push pause. He never gets mad but its like i took the blinders off him shock. Yet with other things, if they don't hold any interest or like, he forgets or gets super easy distracted. Just like I used to do until I found ways on my own to MAKE myself focus.

Am currently talking to his GF to help her chill out and have her watch how he does things as some of his behaviors are very predictable or almost routine yet he is unaware of his own habbits or even the routine of that household thats been going on for years. (IE GF, Friend and family member live there. Family member has set hours, always has. FM gets up, does agreed chores, takes care of the animals, goes to work. Comes home, makes dinner if its FM's turn to eats then goes to their room. Or goes to their room and does it again the next day until days off.) And GF has basically got the general routine down and helps yet my friend is still oblivious to the room.

I know this much from either them visiting or myself visiting and from her venting on me and asking for help. I'm stumped she is venting after the fact they went to counseling and it was working, then he went back to what he used to do as if the counseling never happened.

I know of Aspergers yet have not encountered someone who has it or if I have that person did not seem any different to me beyond stubborn or set in their ways...or just different. I have yet to treat a "different person" different beyond being courteous
          Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
          Yeah we're so over, over
          Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Working...
          X