No announcement yet.

Not sharing recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things for contests, I can understand. Although, honestly, nobody really knows what makes a contest winner a winner. My boyfriend's mother's husband won a spot at the World Championship contest for Chili Cooking, which he subsequently won, by screwing up in a rather spectacular manner with the salt. He forgot to add any. And then, added an entire gallon's worth into a pint cup as it was being carried to the judge's stand.

Just goes to show, that you never can tell.

I still don't get idea hoarding.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by RavenStarr View Post
      I don't get why your friend would have to ask her friend if it was okay to give you the recipe

I mean did she swear in blood or something to never give anyone her friend's recipe? Did said friend threaten a curse or to end the friendship? I would ask her that.

She could have just given you the recipe. It's not like her friend would know.
      Honestly, if I told someone that I wouldn't give the recipe to anyone without their permission then I wouldn't. It's just one of those things where if I make a promise to a friend, then I do my best to stick to it even if I know they won't find out. The whole "they won't know so it's ok/doesn't matter" thing strikes me as odd.

Also, lets say I have a funny picture and don't share it with others who ask. Then I am considered to be someone who can't share. But on the other hand, it's mine and people are demanding that I share someone of mine with them and that seems equally as odd to me. There are some families where secret family recipes are family traditions that are earned by each new generation. If it's a tradition in that family and is an important thing for that family, then I don't see why they should have to share it even if they don't use it for competitions. I get and love the idea of recipes being shared freely and openly and all that but I also don't see why there's anything wrong with someone not wanting to share. There are recipes that I have access to that I got through a woman who is not technically related to me but I see as a mother. I would not consider myself free to share those recipes honestly especially since I know she doesn't share them herself normally.

Comment

What sucks is my grandma made the most amazing snicker doodles, I have yet to find anything that can compare, the base was betty crocker..... but grandma never really followed recipes, actually I made them with her a few times but that was probably 6 years ago before she got sick for a couple years before her passing. Many people have tried to duplicate the amazing cookies with tons of failed success. It sucks when a legacy of a dish is lost. Someone made the cookies for the funeral and I got pissed when rock hard knock offs were passed as being the amazing delicious and moist falling apart ever so slightly when you picked them up.

Although, part of protecting a recipe is feeling special when you make it and people like it because only you know the incredibly easy secret to making it.

Comment

Food does not get insulted. It's an inanimate object.

I'm an extremely good cook from a long line of same and I will give recipes to anyone who asks. I don't get the whole secrecy thing. And I'll write it down and give it to you to try, assuming you will, as I do, alter it to suit your needs and taste. You can call me on the phone and I'll talk you through it.

Someone comes to me and says "I managed to make your (whatever) and it came out great!" it makes me very proud and happy.

If I like something enough, I'll figure it out, too. I can deconstruct a recipe by eating it and paying close attention. So I might ask or a recipe, but I don't HAVE to. If I want it, I'll get it. If it's that all fired secret, better not make it for me.

Insults are things like saying you'll teach someone to make something and then turning around and spoiling it or changing it so it comes out sub par. That isn't helping someone, that is using them to illustrate your own imagined superiority. I really have to wonder about people who do this.

Comment

Working...
          X