This amused me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This amused me

Heh, since it does delve into religion the tiniest bit, I thought it would be better off over here in Fratching.

Someone came to our suite door today. Two someone's. Mormon missionaries. Who apparently feel that it's ok to go door-to-door [in a DORM no less] to proselytize.

My roommate's friend epically PWNED them however by telling them, in no uncertain terms, that they are not allowed to do this and indeed, they are not even supposed to be in this side of the building unless a) they live here or b) they're with someone who lives here and are visiting [which they were not doing]. And apparently, their religion itself prohibits them from soliciting like that.

So...who does that? That was just...baffling as to how anyone thinks it's ok to just randomly start knocking on people's dorm rooms for ANYTHING, much less a 'hot button' topic like religion.

For one thing, it's annoying enough to be accosted on the quad or in the buildings [which has happened to me--and not just by them, by other religions and other groups as well].*

*Heh, greatest example was when I ended up walking next to someone who tried to get me to go to the Christian worship group on campus...

When I was on my way to the LGBT group meeting.
    "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Heh, greatest example was when I ended up walking next to someone who tried to get me to go to the Christian worship group on campus...

When I was on my way to the LGBT group meeting.
    Sad that so many in both groups see that as a contradiction...
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

^Yeah, it shouldn't be a contradiction, and with some places in town, it's not...

But here on campus, well, it is. Unfortunately.
      "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

I remember when a group of Missionary Baptists made the rounds of my dorm. I heard the guy who lived across the hall (this was a co-ed dorm) arguing with them before shouting, "Dude, I'm Catholic!" They knocked on my door, I answered and said, "Southern Baptist, now go away before I call the resident hall director." And they scurried away.

Comment

If anyone tried making rounds in the dorm, they would be kicked right now. No solicitations are allowed and a good chunk of us do not like being preached to. As said, it's annoying enough other places. Our converters like to stake out in front of the Student Center, which is smack dab in the middle of campus, has high student/faculty traffic, and is my favorite place to go. Even if you have headphones on, they still try talking to you.
          "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Sheriff scared the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses around here, I think, away for good.

Comment

Working...
            X