Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you read this book?

Post edited by CC2nd, 1/23/2012
    Last edited by Crazedclerkthe2nd; 01-23-2012, 07:18 PM.

I'm not much of a reader, short attention span so (pre-Internet, anyway) stick to the quicker reads, like newspapers and magazines.

That being said, I'd probably read that book, since it's something I can relate to, and have an interest in.

So, go for it!

Mike
    If I Were a Master Debater, You'd Likely Catch Me Fratching on a Daily Basis!

Comment

I'm intrigued. Gimme more!

Comment

I'd love something to read on my breaks at work. Add some more, and send me a copy.

That was absolutely genius, very descriptive!

Comment

Hell yes I'd read it! Sounds like it has a lot of potential for entertaining reading.

Comment

I'm currently reading (grabs kindle) Retail Hell by Freeman Hall. It's written in the first person and it's his tales of selling purses handbags in an upscale department store.

For some reason first person narration grabs my attention more. It's easier for me to imagine Freeman in his store trying to sell purses (dammit, handbags, and I will try not to make that mistake again before somebody washes out my mouth with leather lotion) and it's easier for me to picture the people he's trying to sell the handbags (yaay!) to.

CC², your story isn't bad at all. It's very descriptive. I'm just not sure if I'd be able to really get into it. If you would identify yourself in the beginning as "Chris" and tell the whole thing in first person, I really think I'd enjoy it.

Comment

Interesting thought Irv, I may give that a try.

Comment

Ok folks, here's a different section of the story rewritten in first person:

Not good. This meant there was only one option left: call tech support. I cringed. Dealing with tech support was like getting a root canal from the world’s worst dentist with no Novocain.

The department actually used to be handled by a well run support center less than a hundred miles away in Milwaukee, but three years ago Corporate decided to outsource tech support to a company based out of Singapore in what they called a “streamlining measure”, whatever that meant.

The funny thing about the corporate guys is that they always talked in code. Half the time I couldn’t even figure out what the hell they were saying and I had been with the company longer than they had. There were secret codenames for everything. Instead of calling it what it was, some stupid corny name had to be thought up for it.

A performance review became an “efficiency appraisal”. A write up was now an “improvement opportunity”, the store floor was called the “Action zone” and the people who worked there were not associates, clerks or service reps, they were “grocery experts.”

Even tech support was now called the “IT command center”.

Despite the new friendly name, every time I dealt with these guys, I always dearly missed the old tech support people. Look I’ve got nothing against foreign folks or accents, but the fact is that most of the people I dealt with clearly weren’t well trained and don’t have much of a clue about how a lot of the technology at the stores actually worked.

One time I called in for assistance with a fax machine/copier/scanner and the tech I spoke to asked me what version of Windows it was running. In case you didn’t know, machines such as these do not have Windows, they are just simple office machines.

Another time the network connection on some of registers was not working properly. The tech had me work through some bizarre fifteen step sequence, which accomplished nothing save crashing the rest of the registers in the store. It took another three hours on the phone with about five different techs to get the mess cleaned up.

And if you’re wondering, no we didn’t close the store down. We just couldn’t take any checks or credit cards. We had to party like it was 1969. Cash only, baby. And the customers were absolutely thrilled (yeah, right!).

Comment

Heh!

You touched on one of my biggest peeves; corporate buzzwords/phrases!

Mike
                  If I Were a Master Debater, You'd Likely Catch Me Fratching on a Daily Basis!

Comment

Yes, I'd read your book if you made it available. The excerpt you've provided here kind of reminds me of a tragicomedy style of writing like Empire Falls by Richard Russo.

Comment

Originally posted by Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I'm currently reading (grabs kindle) Retail Hell by Freeman Hall. It's written in the first person and it's his tales of selling purses handbags in an upscale department store.
                      Loved it, Irv. He has a second book out (although I don't think you'd be it's key audience) and he's got a pretty cool website.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
                        And if you’re wondering, no we didn’t close the store down. We just couldn’t take any checks or credit cards. We had to party like it was 1969. Cash only, baby. And the customers were absolutely thrilled (yeah, right!).[/I]
                        I really like your writing style, CC. I'd totally read anything you put out there.

Comment

I may have to go against the grain here. As I don't see myself getting in to such a book. You're missing the "true story" hook ( ala Retail Hell ). Without that it needs to lean much more on character ( and I don't mean just on the job ). I wouldn't personally read a book of fiction of call centre stories for example. Real, actual ones, alright, that I can relate too.

The bitter humour in my job is not the absurd, but rather the level absurd in the face of reality. When you remove reality, the absurd has no limit and loses its impact.

Hopefully I am making sense. -.-

Comment

I have to agree with GK.

The amusing thing about all the stories at CS is that you "can't believe someone would do that!" It doesn't have the same impact when the customers and management's behaviour is fictional. Sort of like a photograph of a two-headed cow will quickly make the rounds on the internet, but a drawing of the same wouldn't.

So you'd need an overlying story arch that develops the main character. The stories about customers and management can be used to set the stage in the beginning, but shouldn't be the meat-and-drink of the book.

Just my two-cents.

Comment

Working...
                            X