Cashiers/Baggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashiers/Baggers

As someone who tries to be as green as I can, I bring my own bags to the grocery store. Half the time, when I give it to the cashier while I get out my money/coupons and such, they just leave it there and don't bag my stuff, but just look at me with an 'are you joking?' look.

Now, if a cashier is ordinarily expected to bag my purchases, why do many of them think they don't have to if I bring my own? It shouldn't matter if they're the company's bags or mine. I've yet to see a job description saying you can skip it if a customer brings their own. All it accomplishes is pissing off the people behind me, since they have to wait for me to bag my own shit after I pay. Either that, or they cashier immediately start to ring out the next person giving me no time to bag my stuff. It leaves a bad impression on me (that I'm being rushed out like a pest), since I have always felt it is very rude to start ringing out another person until the previous customer is ready to walk away (not only to be polite and patient, but also, since it prevents the next customer from stealing personal items from the previous, which has happened).

And if they're worried about my bag having 'cooties' or anything, the money they handle constantly thoughout the day is far more disgusting.

Originally posted by Cats View Post
    And if they're worried about my bag having 'cooties' or anything, the money they handle constantly thoughout the day is far more disgusting.
    True, but I've yet to handle any bills that smell strongly of cat urine. Which is more than I can say for some of those reusable bags.

I don't automatically put my customer's purchase into their green bags, because they sometimes have something else in there. I don't want to be rooting around in their personal shit.

However, if you're handing the cashier an empty bag that doesn't stink, they should probably be bagging for you.

Comment

That's interesting. I've never encountered this.

I regularly take reusable bags to Kroger, and one of them is a Trader Joe's bag. I never get a hassle or funny looks. Granted, they're clean (not saying yours aren't) but Boozy does bring up a good point that some people's are likely pretty raunchy?

No excuse, but maybe that could be part of why they act funny about them? Not that yours aren't clean but that some people's are gross?

I'd still be pretty annoyed if I were you. Have you thought about asking the manager?

Keep us posted!

Comment

We started using re-usable bags at the grocery store around Halloween...I remember because they were selling jack-o-lantern patterned re-usable bags for $1 each the day after Halloween so we picked a few up. We've never had a problem with the checkers/baggers not using them. We keep ours pretty clean, though. As soon as we get home, I unload the groceries and put everything away, and the bags go right back in the trunk of the car so we don't forget them next time.

What annoys me are the people who don't bag their own damn groceries when there's no bagger for a lane. Yes, the checker can do it, but first they have to check all the groceries, then complete the transaction, then bag all the groceries -- it takes twice as long. Even if the customer doesn't want to start bagging until everything is checked out, they could still help once they finish paying. But 99% of them time when there is no bagger, the customer just stands around and watches while the checker bags their $250 worth of groceries by themselves. My husband and I always bag our own groceries if there's no dedicated bagger at the station we're at.

Comment

I like to bag my own groceries. It makes things so much easier when I get home - this bag goes to the upstairs bathroom, this one goes to the pantry, this one needs to go to the freezer straight away, etc.

Comment

I generally prefer to bag my own, too. The local stores tend to hire mentally challenged folks to bag groceries, which is all well and good, except that they *always* over fill the bags to the point of ridiculous. Unless I have a big cartload, I just go to the self-checkout and bag 'em myself.

Comment

My favorite store doesn't have baggers. It's also about 10-20% cheaper than my next favorite that may or may not have someone available to do the bagging.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm really particular about how I like my bags packed, so I try to use the u-scan at Kroger if I have a small enough order and do it myself.

There is a store here called Meijer that actually has u-scans designed for larger orders too, so if i have a big order I try to go there during off peak times. This way I get to take my time and I don't hold anyone up behind me with my anal-ness or annoy any baggers with my pickiness.

Comment

The store down the street gave a few reusable bags once to everyone. My mom gave me one and I have been thinking of using to hold my equipment in it.

Comment

To the OP, while there is no excuse for the cashier to act that way if bagging the items s/he rings through is part of the job description, I have a possible reason why s/he didn't like the thought of bagging into a reusable bag. When I worked at The Bullseye, our bagging stations were not set up well for reusable bags. I hated when someone would hand me one when I was cashiering because they were such a headache to deal with. I wasn't annoyed at the person using the bag, I was annoyed at the register layout. Most reusable bags I encountered barely fit on the little ledge under where the bags hang, so I would also have to juggle both bagging and making sure the bag didn't fall onto the floor. I don't know which store you were shopping in or how their registers are laid out, but it's one possible reason. Again, it still doesn't excuse the cashier giving you that look. Any annoyance at the situation should not be shown to the customer if at all possible.

Comment

I don't think we have ever had dedicated baggers in the UK, some cashiers ask if you want any help bagging and I alwasy say no as I have a back pack and if a larger shop, 2 cycle baskets.
                      When doing a smaller pre or post work shop (normally just snacks for the day) I go to the self service, today after being called in on my day off and not able to do a larger shop, I got a few nick nacks and someone had a trolly load at the self service, I thought these were meant for small transactions, I don't join the large queue as it would take forever to die down and see why said trolly is there, queues and trollies piled high on the belt checkouts.

I also realise I forgot to pick up something and head back to get it and back to the self service to see how its progressing, he's still doing his trolley and another guy has all his shopping on the bagging area loose and after paying starts putting everything away.
                      WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                        I like to bag my own groceries. It makes things so much easier when I get home - this bag goes to the upstairs bathroom, this one goes to the pantry, this one needs to go to the freezer straight away, etc.
                        I'm like that too although I tend to pack more by weights...I distribute heavy stuff on the bottoms and light stuff on top.

I have a few of those reusable bags....from several different stores. I use them mostly when I go flea market shopping or somewhere where I know bags are not likely to be had. I use them grocery shopping once in a while but I prefer to do their bags for that, I always use a paper one inside a plastic one for use later around the house.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                        X