Pissing Employees Off Until They Quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pissing Employees Off Until They Quit

Or, in the case of larger places (like department stores with multiple departments or like where I work, a huge warehouse with multiple departments), until the employee applies for a transfer for another shift or work area.

This isn't something I hate, but I am very against. I know there are two sides to every story and there are always different circumstances, but I generally do not like the idea of managers/supervisors/leads or even coworkers (supported by management and other higher ups) to piss off someone until they either quit the job or find a different area to work in.

To be honest, I think with some people, it's playing with fire, because some people will take initiative and go to HR and complain, if not the labor board or will retaliate in other ways, like making complaints to OSHA or FMLA or other things that they know may get the employer in trouble. Whether or not that actually works in their favor, it doesn't look good on the management or the company in general when someone does that.

As for everyone else, even if they don't stand up or fight it, it's still wrong, because I don't feel anyone deserves to be bullied, let alone harrassed, by their coworkers or their boss because they aren't liked. Even if they are a bad employee, there is always a difference between professionally allowing the person to give themself plenty of rope to hang themselves with, and using cruelty and dirty mind games to make that person so miserable they don't want to work there anymore.

Opinions, ideas, thoughts?

Edit: The story behind this idea came from my *no surprise* idiot coworkers who were reminiscing about how they once played a role in pissing off this one woman until she transferred to a different shift. She did retaliate a time or two, and because of that, she'll probably never be fired, so it all backfired on them anyway.
    Last edited by blas87; 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM.

I've worked for several companies where this was the norm. They refuse to fire people so they don't have to worry about paying out Unemployment benefits. One company I worked for never "terminated" anyone. They forced people to sign "Voluntary Quits." If you refused, you were "suspended indefinitely."

They think that you'll either get pissed off and leave or get pissed off enough that you'll do something stupid and they can fire you for misconduct and not have to worry about unemployment.

But you're right, it can come back an bite them in the ass. People can call OSHA and report issues, file complaints with the Labor Board, etc. I got screwed by one company and took their best techs with me to another company right after I informed various manufacturers that my old employer didn't have anyone left certified to repair their product.

People need to learn that the longer they abuse an animal, the higher the chances are that they'll bite back.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

This is currently happening at my husband's workplace and he is seriously pissed off. The foreman organised for one of his friends and another acquaintance to be hired. Yup, no problems, the guys are okay to work with. Not great, but not idiots either. Foreman was promoted and his friends applied for the position, after only working there for 3-6 months. So, the two most senior guys applied for the foreman position, just so that the new guys would have some competition. One of the senior blokes got the job + pay raise + work vehicle, the other got a pay raise as well so that he wouldn't leave.

Fast-forward 6 months and the new foreman is getting along well with almost everyone, behaving the same way he always did. Helping people out, being fair and actually has a spine. One guy (the old foreman's acquaintance) is going over the foreman's head, straight to his friend the manager for every little incident and is complaining that the new foreman is unapproachable. Manager has been hinting to the foreman that he should find a different job, that this place and that place are hiring, giving him cards and telling him to call about jobs. Despite all of that, the new foreman has not recieved any written warnings and only ONE verbal warning. To top it all off, he found out that the bloke that's trying to get him in trouble is being paid more than him and that the manager's close friend is probably being paid even more!
      Poor bloke has tired of all the bullshit and returned to his previous position and I'd pity the new foreman, but I bet it ends up one of the manager's friends.

Comment

I have a friend who managers a store who did that. She didn't fire him, she just cut his schedule down to one day a week so he'd give it up and quit.

A lot of the time companies do this to avoid paying unemployment, since you can't get unemployment if you quit but you CAN (in many cases anyway) if you are terminated against your will.

Comment

The Jerk did just that to me; the reason? I knew more about my duties than he did and actually wanted the online venture to work. He had some problem with actually talking to me about stuff, preferring instead to sneak around and screw stuff up as I fixed it, then try to blame me when something went wrong. It became clear in short order that he never wanted to go into online sales at all (then why did you hire someone for online sales?), and so was setting it up to fail even as I was trying to get it off the ground.

The actual firing was done very unprofessionally, and he actually told a job coach I was working with that I "wasn't cut out for retail" (had I known at the time that doing so was verboten I could have had fun with it).
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-23-2011, 02:57 PM.
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

That sort of happened with a former co-worker at the library - when we were closed for remodeling a few years back, everyone was deployed to different libraries in the system, and "Phyllis" ended up staying with her "temporary assignment".........I don't know the specifics, but apparently she'd told staff at her new workplace that we were all mean to her. (Admittedly, none of us really enjoyed working with "Phyllis", but we weren't purposely trying to get rid of her)
            Last edited by KellyHabersham; 03-16-2011, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Bob tried to pull that shit with me before he got transferred, he would "ask" me to do stuff that wasn't department related and stuff I didn't know how to do/ didn't have the time for then give me a talking to when I handed the task off to somebody who knew how/had the time to do it. He always talked down to me like I was a baby who didn't understand anything, I and everyone else who hated him was happy he left.
              "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Working...
              X