People Who Sell Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Who Sell Stuff

In a word, solicitation, but not the typical door to door, although it can be thrown in there. I'm talking about the people that you either don't know or maybe you do know, who bug you to buy their crap they sell or to sign up for whatever club or system they are involved in, whatever!

There are the people who do it right, nice, and kindly, like my former coworker who sells Mary Kay part time. Instead of attending the meetings, trying to get the car, and owning an inventory, she just takes orders, sends for them, receives them, and just doesn't make the same money that the typical Mary Kay ladies do. But she's cool with it, it's just extra cash and no headaches of beloning to that Cult. She lets us know when she's putting orders in, and she takes our orders. She really only deals with family and coworkers, so she doesn't have to drive all over the place, we all get our stuff at work when it comes. She's never pushy or rude. Occasional e-mails, no big deal.

Then you have my step gramma and my great aunt, one is part of Party Lite and the other Lia Sophia (respectively). They are both just PAINS IN THE ASS! I don't even live near either of them and my Facebook inbox gets cluttered with stuff involving their stupid parties and specials and deals and invites to their stupid parties and if you spend $100 you get $10....OH WOW really?!!?! Whenever they are near me (when my grandparents visit), step gramma bugs the hell out of me to buy those stupid candles. No. My great aunt always bugs my mom to bug me about buying Lia Sophia crap.

This one is door to door, but I knew the guy. He is the son or son in law of one of my downstairs elderly neighbors. He normally drops the grandkids off once or twice a week and I'll see him downstairs and say hello and BS with him a tad. Well, one day he came to my door and asked me if I wanted to quit working nights and stay at home and make more money working my own hours. That's right. His job was part of this company, and I never bothered to even research it, it sounded shady, one of those super awesome "work from home when YOU want to for as much as you WANT to make" deals. Errr....no. I was a little insulted he even did that.

Then yesterday, I was leaving the gym and a lady started talking to me. I figured hey, could always make a new friend. She brought up how she sees me at the gym almost every day, so I must be interested in staying healthy and in good shape. I told her yes, but not so much with food or nutrition, just keeping physically good looking, you know, just to say something funny. She then said that she is a "nutritionist" (of some sort) and has this home-run business and she sells all kinds of vitamins and suppliments for diet and nutrition, and she teaches classes for people on how to eat healthy and she'll even take you to the grocery store and teach you how to cook. That part seemed innocent enough, but I still felt a little insulted that I was only talked to because she thought I had money or interest in her business.

Generally, I have no issue if someone I know sells something or has their own small business or whatever. As long as they leave me alone if I'm not interested, or they are polite and professional about it.

My mom sells pampered chef started doing it because she was sick of being a stay at home mom, she mainly did it for the discounts, stayed because it nice to have spending money dad doesn't know about. A lot of it is pricey but when I was in college I loved my micro cooker, lol got my one Gf to host a show but she enjoyed cooking otherwise I would have never allowed mom to ask. Now, she has a friend that sells one of the makeup ones and actually sells the outdated products at full price because she "isn't" allowed to discount it, but ignored the part about not selling expired product. Which I guess some of it clumps up and whatnot. Then there is a multitude of other useless crap ones that are friends and your sort of required to help them out and have a party. Although I did like showing up during the end of the tastefully simple party because it involved food. but for the most part many of those come to your home things are sort of pricey. It nice when the seller can acknowledge that many people are broke and can't afford "nice" (sarcasim?) things.

OH forgot the guy i knew in college who sold this juice thing that was really healthy it wasn't half bad helped the immune system, $25 a bottle or something rediculous and that was the at cost price to try and get people to try it. and to help move some of his product.

One thing to realize most of those At home businesses are for lack of a better word, pyramid schemes, you really need people under you doing the leg work to make money and if you personally don't enjoy the products at just want it at cost it not worth it.

My biggest annoyance is people who ask me if I hate my job and are interested in another opportunity at which I tell them, as long as it isn't selling insurance I am open to any suggestions you have to offer.... most of the time it is selling insurance that they then pitch me.

Comment

I had to tell a friend's parents they were forbidden to try to sell Amway shit to me or even bring it up.

Not allowed to mention it. Not allowed to send "samples" to my house. No. Nada. STFU about it.

Embarrassing.

I cannot STAND these people who send me "party invitation." You know what I'm talking about. I just ignore them the way I would any junk mail.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        I cannot STAND these people who send me "party invitation." You know what I'm talking about. I just ignore them the way I would any junk mail.
        I ignore those "invitations" as well.

And woe betide the person who calls me out on my lack of an RSVP. They will get a lesson in etiquette from me, and they won't like it.

Comment

You'll be pleased to know that Miss Manners considers those "invitations" in the same light as a store sending a flyer about a sale, so no RSVP is required (though for friends, you might want to send one for the sake of the relationship).
          I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

If they're all that good a friend, then they already know better than to send me this shit.

If they're not, let's hope they're at least smart enough to realize that I'm being charitable by ignoring them.

Comment

Chef's Toolbox! My best friend's mum sells that and Anion products. It's taken a while, but she finally understands that I can't afford to buy her saucepans AND I don't want to buy her saucepans. I'm happiest with my stainless steel ones because I can't ruin them and there's no risk of coating falling into my cooking. I love the knives that I have... I am happy with my kitchen, I don't want or need anything more. (Except for canning supplies - I need to offload my unwanted Tupperware so that I have room)

Anion stuff seems a bit scam-ish to me, a bit too good to be true.

Comment

At the restaurant I worked at in college, this mother and daughter team came in trying to sell Mary Kay. We had to ask them to leave when they started bothering all of our customers.

My former next door neighbor got a car because she sold so much of the MK crap. She was pretty obsessive. I'm really glad we moved out of that neighborhood!!

Slumber Parties can be pretty fun, though I went to one at my cousin's recently that was pretty chill. I didn't buy anything but I sure learned a lot...

Comment

The Mary Kay sellers remind me of that episode of Married...With Children where Peggy gets a job selling makeup, and just buys all the makeup herself because it isn't very good and "that's how I make my money!"

That episode had Pauly Shore in it. Whatever happened to that guy?

Comment

Shore? He got himself frozen for a thousand years.

Actually, he's still making movies, just nothing I've ever heard of.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                      Shore? He got himself frozen for a thousand years.

Actually, he's still making movies, just nothing I've ever heard of.

^-.-^
                      Sort of like Steven Segal, except he is actually capable of killing me for making fun of him, in as many ways as straight to DVD/tv movies as he has stared in. You know that one where he was a former/undercover/rouge fbi/nsa/cia/black ops agent who was trying to stop the government/corporation/evil bad guy from poluting the enviroment/unleashing nuclear holocaust/killing the innocents/ killing his family.

Well, I think I just spoiled 90% of his movies. and might just make this post its own thread

Comment

I last saw Shore on an episode of Sunset Tan a couple of years ago, he was cleaning someone's pool.

Comment

Working...
                        X