F***ING immigration and visa information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F***ING immigration and visa information

I swear it's like trying to pull fucking teeth trying to get information or contact details to talk to someone about getting this information, we start with the British High Commision in canberra, but they can not give advice about visas and direct you to the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner, who in turn (if you are outside the UK) direct you to The UK Border Agency, which after some searching for outside UK services directs you to... wait for it... The fucking British High Commision in canberra, all I want is a little advice on which of two visas I should be applying for and if they are multiple entry visas, but apparently I can't talk to anyone to get that information.

I'm going to drink myself into insensibility now.
    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

I'm experiencing something similar with college advisors. One will tell me she doesn't have the information I need, but directs me to anothe department, but they are just as useless as the others. Only your experience sounds 100 times more frusturating.

Comment

What are you looking to do, Nyoibo?

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
        I swear it's like trying to pull fucking teeth trying to get information or contact details to talk to someone about getting this information, we start with the British High Commision in canberra, but they can not give advice about visas and direct you to the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner, who in turn (if you are outside the UK) direct you to The UK Border Agency, which after some searching for outside UK services directs you to... wait for it... The fucking British High Commision in canberra, all I want is a little advice on which of two visas I should be applying for and if they are multiple entry visas, but apparently I can't talk to anyone to get that information.

I'm going to drink myself into insensibility now.
        Having gone through the experience of immigrating from Canada to the U.S., I feel your pain. Most immigration procedures are full of redundancies, red tape, seemingly useless requirements and general bureaucratic madness. BUT, it does seem very worth it when you finally get the Visa in your hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
          What are you looking to do, Nyoibo?

Rapscallion
          All I want to know is which Visa I need to go visit my girlfriend and travel around the UK with her, there's 2 that are very similar and could both apply to me, I also have no idea how much money it is recomended to have in savings to prove you can support myself while I'm over there.

Comment

If you're Australian, living in Australia, and just visiting, then...

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/

It reckons you don't need a visa.

Rapscallion
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Yeah, I know, however, I may possibly be staying for up to 6 months and it doesn't say how long a "short" visit iis.

Comment

Being the in the US I am not sure without some links of the possibilities or a little more background info.
                I am currently trying to get my girl from over seas to the US and her three options: 1. work permit 2. vacation visa (which requires I think like.. 3-6 months cash in HER account to prove she can take care of all bills while gone) 3. spouse relocation (probably not in your situation yet..) Websites and calls are all fun, but if you have any best chance: find someone that might have done what your trying to do and ask them for assistance. Perhaps someone here has better advice.

From what I have found: its a PITA process where they love to keep you running in circles, probably for their own pleasure until you find the one thing you need.

Comment

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...s/eligibility/

Up to six months is mentioned in there for a general visitor. That's you.

If you have the money to return home within six months, that's in there. Show that you can leave, well if you have a return ticket for home then that would cover it. Easy if you have that, not so easy if you don't. Not sure how much the coin required would be.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...les/appendix1/ suggests that from Aus you don't need a visa.

I assume you've seen all these, though.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/co...ontactcentres/ - found that. There's no email address for anyone who specifically looks after cases such as yours, but maybe you could bounce something off one of the addresses and ask who to contact?

Rapscallion
                  Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Yeah, it's looking more and more likely I'll just turn up at Heathrow with my passport and hope they let me in, I'll deffinately have a return ticket as it's a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a return ticket than a one way ticket.

Comment

Working...
                    X