My parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My parents

I've ranted about my parents before. Time for another thread about them. The babies thread that Jack started made me think of all this, for some reason.

Looking back at my childhood, my parents didn't have a lot of time for me. When I was about 7, my dad decided to quit his job and start his own business. Except he decided to start it in Michigan, about 3 hours away from where we lived (in Wisconsin.) For whatever reason my parents decided not to move. Instead, my dad bought a very small house in the area where he was building his business, and he lived there during the week and would come home on the weekends. Thus, I saw him very little most of the time.

My mom pined for him. I understand that it must have absolutely sucked to be apart from him for so long and so often; but I don't understand why we didn't just move. My mom didn't have a job (she was a stay at home mom once my brothers were born) so the only thing attaching us to the community was their parents (who they despise) and me and my schooling. I hated the school I went to and they knew it, I didn't have a lot of friends, so I'll never understand why they didn't just move. Even today they complain about being "stuck" in the same town all their lives and how much they hate the town and wish they would have gotten out of there. Then why didn't they??

Anyway, my mom spent every night on the phone with my dad, usually 2-3 hours, sometimes more. Sometimes she wouldn't even prepare dinner for us because she was too busy talking to my dad, and then when I'd say I was hungry, or go to open a can of tuna to make a sandwich or something, she'd scream at me, "I suppose you think I'm an awful mother because it's 10pm and we haven't eaten dinner yet, huh!?" To a 9 year old, yeah, that's kinda confusing.

We lived out in the country, a good several miles from town, with very few neighbors, so I had next to no social interaction with anyone outside of school -- which, as I said, I didn't like in the first place. I never learned how to ride a bike, so I had no way to get into town. My parents never bothered teaching me, and when my neighbor friends offered to teach me, my mom blew a gasket and said I wasn't allowed to let them teach me, because riding a bike should be something that your parents teach you, not your neighbors. I still don't know how to ride a bike, to this day.

We did have one relatively close neighbor who had kids around my age, but they and I had a pretty harsh falling out a year or two after my dad's business started up and I stopped talking to them for many years. So I was left to my own devices. We got a computer, and I started chatting online with other nerds like me. When I started spending more time online than anything else, my mom got pissed about that too, and more than once, she tried to ban me from talking to my friends. Even after I became an adult (around 21 years old) and had bought my own laptop, she and I got in a horrible, horrible fight over someone who I knew online, who she didn't "approve" of, and she said that he'd "stolen" me away from her. So she tried to take my laptop, and threatened to throw it in the nearby lake. I had to literally cling to it until my dad managed to pry her off of me, to keep her from taking it.

I dunno why I'm rambling about this all now. My parents are coming to see me, they'll be here on Sunday. I haven't seen them in over a year and a half. Frankly, I don't really want to see them. Part of my is excited that they're coming, but a bigger part of me is anxious, nervous, and just plain doesn't want them here. I think it'll go okay, I have been on my own and living with my husband for over 2 years now and I think they know that they can't bully me anymore. But part of me is really afraid of what might happen next week.

From a totally outsider's point of view, and based on only what was said in this thread alone, I think I know why your dad built a company away from your home and didn't move the whole family over. With your mom on the phone with your dad for several hours every night, she sounds very clingy and needy, and it's possible he needed that space. And the way you got ignored until you tried to do something on your own, at which point she was right there forbidding you from doing it without her... It sounds quite stifling.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

All I can suggest is that you stand your ground if your mother starts anything - be willing to kick her out of your home if necessary. Even if they are staying with you tell them to have a back-up plan because you should not tolerate being treated like shit in your own home, ever.

I agree with Andara Bledin's observation concerning why your father never moved the whole family to Michigan. Your mother sounds like a needy control freak who may try to exert her will on you if given the chance. If she starts up with the bullshit, nip it in the bud and don't be afraid to put her in your place. It may cause her to get upset but at this point in your life your mother holds no sway over you so don't feel bad if it gets to the point where you simply tell her to leave.

Comment

If I had known about you before you moved to Texas, we could have hung out on the weekends or something. Your hometown is only a couple of hours away from me.

You have every right to feel the way you do. I hope your Easter weekend goes alright with you parents. Just remember, you moved away for a reason and you're very happy where you are now

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm feeling good about their upcoming visit today. I think I just had a moment of panic and remembering what things were like back in Wisconsin, but all of that is different now. I am steeling myself to have words with them if it comes to that, though I hope it doesn't, but I will put my foot down if push comes to shove.

Blas, next time I'm in Wisconsin -- which I have no plans to be anytime soon, but I'm sure I'll come back to visit eventually -- we'll definitely have to get together. Or if you ever end up in Texas, let me know.

Comment

do your parents live in the same place now?
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

If you mean the same place where I used to live, then yes.

I was born and raised in northern Wisconsin and lived there for 25 years. My parents still live there, and have lived in that same town all their lives. I moved to Texas two years ago so I have quite a bit of distance from them now.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand their parents, the only reason I live at home is I have a shit job with shit pay, and need the free time to look for jobs but since I enlisted I pretty much quit doing that, I think it would be sort of unprofessional to get hired somewhere, then go "BTW, I'm off for a year of training" technically there are things where the employer has to protect my job but that doesn't mean their wouldn't be hurt feelings.
                Parents are always on my ass because I don't keep a schedule they like. I work mostly 3-11pm and they bitch if I sleep in. I can't wait to get away from this house again, when I was in college I had no problem being away 6-9 months at a time with MAYBE 2 phone calls in that time period. And that was hey can I have some money? and them going hey my computer is broke.

If your parents are that bad it is probably better you keep your distance. I got woken up early thanks to my mom being on the phone bitching about her job, which makes me realize how peopel say I bitch often I know where I get it from.

I feel you on the being sort of a loner, we moved to the sticks from the city, and some of the people out here told me they didn't like me because I was from the city, I told them to piss off. Doesn't help most people can't stand my parents either. I think the hating you being on the computer tihng is they have no idea what your doing and get pissed their is no control. If it is like my parents, how dare you be happy without us telling you to be happy.

Actually, I'm 23 years old and have to lie about going to work to keep them off my ass when I want a night out with my girlfriend or friends, because I know they will bitch or if I want to blow my money then I can feel free to pay more in rent.... Only reason I'm living here is to save moeny and well now I guess have a place to keep my stuff while I'm at training. At least it sounds as if your parents care for each other, my mother has stated at this point it is easier to try and outlast my dad who is a diabetic and refuses to give up sweets or properly monitor his blood sugar than it would be to get a divorce, because she gets more money....
                OH I forgot the best line, my mom being drunk and saying "You were an accident but we think we love you anyways". If I move states away, they will be staying in a hotel. not my house
                Last edited by insertNameHere; 05-01-2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                  <snip>
                  OH I forgot the best line, my mom being drunk and saying "You were an accident but we think we love you anyways". <snip>
                  Drunk or not, If one of my parents said that to me, They are dead to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X