Need a computer suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
    I'm comming in at $582 after shipping. less $10 if I do the mail in rebate, lol and I'm down 4GB ram, so probably another $45 for that. (DAMN!!!! last month it had a $15 rebate)
    The wishlist you linked has 2 hard drives on it, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
      Edit 3: Ah, Newegg is gouging Canadian customers out the *ass*. Niiiice guys. Your order would cost me $460 US even before the $60 in shipping.
      I tried to get as close as I could to what she has, and the $420 from Newegg turned into $640 from NCIX. I rushed it, though, so things may have not quite matched. (prices in USD to make it easier for me)

The CPU is $100 from Newegg, $115 to Canada from NCIX and not available at all to America. Huh?

A similar motherboard (that is listed for all three) was a max of $75 from Newegg (no longer active), $86 from NCIX to Canada and $83 to America.

The video card is $47 from Newegg, $54 from NCIX to Canada and not available to America.

The optical drive is $21 from Newegg, $27 from NCIX to Canada and $27 from NCIX to America.

A similar (though not budget) black steel case is $110 from Newegg, $121 from NCIX to Canada and $117 to America but only available in platinum color.

The HD is $60 from Newegg, $77 from NCIX to Canada and not available to America.

A similar DVD burner is $21 from Newegg, $27 from NCIX to Canada and $27 to America.

The OS is $140 from Newegg, $160 from NCIX to Canada and $160 to America.

So, from Newegg it would run $574 (with $85 or so being knocked off by going budget on the case), $667 from NCIX to Canada and slightly cheaper to America if they actually were willing to ship the same items to both countries. That's a 15% markup to go with NCIX over Newegg for those components if you're in the US.

Now, oddly enough, when I checked the pricing this afternoon from work, it told me that the Win7 OEM was $190, not the $160 it's showing now. Color me completely baffled by that.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I noticed the reviews too, I guess at the time it said AM3+ which they apparently have changed. I guess I don't follow by what you mean with barebones. I know how to fix computers, not to much experience building from ground up.

Also, Im aware there is two drives on it. I'm planning a raid 1 and figure if I make it from the start, I will save lots of time down the road and not need to worry as much abotu backing up my crap. Also, figure I have heard bad things about hitachi but migth as well give it a try since WD I hear just as bad things. And going with a seagate I have had good luck with
        Last edited by insertNameHere; 04-29-2011, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Why does the discussion here look more and more like people trying to outfit characters in online RPGs?

Rapscallion
          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            The CPU is $100 from Newegg, $115 to Canada from NCIX and not available at all to America. Huh?
            Hrm, I see what you mean, it only comes up in bundles on the US site for some reason. Came up fine for me as I was routed to the Canadian site. Funny part however, is I can actually get things off the Canadian site ( that apparently don't show or are unavailable on the US site ) by clicking US check out when I go to place the order.

A similar motherboard (that is listed for all three) was a max of $75 from Newegg (no longer active), $86 from NCIX to Canada and $83 to America.
            Mobos have so many bloody models and variants. You'd have to peg the exact one across all the sites. Which is more work then a forum post is probably worth. >>

The video card is $47 from Newegg, $54 from NCIX to Canada and not available to America.
            Models there, really. The 4xxx series isn't produced anymore so prices are going to depend simply on remaining stock and demand. If you look at the price of the 6xxx series the difference is....er.....$1.

The optical drive is $21 from Newegg, $27 from NCIX to Canada and $27 from NCIX to America.
            I couldn't quite find the exact model. Though we're still just varying a few dollars back and forth on all of these. Where did the $200 hit? Shipping? I was able to find equivilents ( or better ) to everything that were the same price give or take a few bucks. So I'm guessing its the exchange rate and shipping thats dicking things up back and forth.

The OS is $140 from Newegg, $160 from NCIX to Canada and $160 to America.
            $132 from NCIX-US actually. <head scratch>

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
            Why does the discussion here look more and more like people trying to outfit characters in online RPGs?
            What do you think said discussions originally evolved from? ;9
            Last edited by Gravekeeper; 04-29-2011, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Mobos have so many bloody models and variants. You'd have to peg the exact one across all the sites. Which is more work then a forum post is probably worth.
              I did peg the exact model across both sites. That's why I ended up with one that wasn't carried on Newegg any more. I got the price by using price break as a filter. It could have been as low as $50, but the $75 price tag would put the difference at the same 15% that they seem to carry over Newegg.

I actually make a point of finding the exact same model for every comparison. When I said comparable, I meant comparable to what was on the original parts list - site to site they're the exact same item.

$132 from NCIX-US actually. <head scratch>
              That's a special, good till the 4th. If the rest of their prices wouldn't totally kill the value on the discount, I'd consider getting it for the $29.03 discount. The regular price is $161.67.

Well, the rest of their prices and the fact that I've hated every experience I've had with it so far. At this point, they'll have to pry XP out of my cold, lifeless fingers.

And the $200 difference was primarily in the CPU (not the OS as I said in the last post), which was a full $90 difference - almost double. But, as mentioned, it's possible I didn't have the same exact models then, which I corrected in the later comparison.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Well windows 7 is bearable if your not an idiot and can type "UAC" in search bar, then set to never notify. Actually I lost my point, because by idiot I mean prone to viruses and needing windows to protect you from yourself, but for the most part I have seen peopel either always click YES, comp breaks and I get a call. or click No and they can't do X and I get a call.

So if you don't get viruses because you know your friend really didn't send you those pictures from last week, you can not worry about the annoying UAC

Comment

That's a special, good till the 4th. If the rest of their prices wouldn't totally kill the value on the discount, I'd consider getting it for the $29.03 discount. The regular price is $161.67.
                  NCIX always has a sale on every week, and it carries over long as they have stock. I'm pretty sure its been on sale for weeks so far, ehe. Thats why I shop there to be honest. Anything I want I typically just have to wait a week or two and it will pop up for a disgusting price. <3

Well, the rest of their prices and the fact that I've hated every experience I've had with it so far. At this point, they'll have to pry XP out of my cold, lifeless fingers.
                  7 is pretty good really. Vista, no matter how much I shower I never feel clean.

And the $200 difference was primarily in the CPU (not the OS as I said in the last post), which was a full $90 difference - almost double. But, as mentioned, it's possible I didn't have the same exact models then, which I corrected in the later comparison.
                  Definately wrong model yeah, hehe. The 640 is a $100 cpu and shouldn't vary much above or below from site to site.

Comment

What do you think said discussions originally evolved from? ;9
                    Ah, but did the computer variation come first, or was it the table-top version that created the whole inclination to get an extra few percentage points out that came first?

Bit chicken and egg, methinks.

Rapscallion
                    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Ah, but did the computer variation come first, or was it the table-top version that created the whole inclination to get an extra few percentage points out that came first?
                      Min-maxing. Started long before both RPG games and home computers.

Go talk to the car nuts and gearheads - they were doing it over a century ago, and I'm sure they weren't the first, either.

^-.-^

Comment

Rapscallion
                        Well I knew I should have used Intimidating warning, to inform my mother that if the repair company for dell calls. I AM NOT fixing the computer I am sending it back- Also at this point I autonuked the hard drive, ain't nobody but the NSA going to have a chance of finding any data.

So I lost 10 sanity points when I got woke up at 8am after passing out at 4am, couldn't be to sleep till almost 11.

I hope I'm outfitted properly to trek through the forest of dHELL and retrieve the holy grail (my money). Then I shall win the game and then

Comment

Score: waiting has saved me another $12 as they released a promo code for that processor, guess now I really don't need to spend extra $40 on a black edition

Comment

Working...
                          X