Wrong way to collect money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong way to collect money?

Michael owes me $10. He's being a laze ass about getting it back to me. It's just 10 bucks, but then again, if its just 10 bucks he can pay it easy enough.

Jeffrey owes Michael $10. Would it be totally out of line for me to ask Jeff for the money? Not ask like insist on it, just to mention that if he gave me the money, that would effectively count as the 10 he owes Michael, and I've got my money to so now nobody owes anything right?

I can see the logic behind that. I'd say as long as Michael is aware that Jeff is paying you directly instead of paying him, it sounds all good. You'd probably want Michael to tell Jeff to pay you directly; if you go to Jeff and say, "Hey man, I heard you owe Mike $10, and he owes ME $10, so why don't you just pay me instead?" that could come across wrong. Kinda scammy.

Comment

well its only $10..... my response "that is at least 75 minutes of MY WORK", i guess that is why I don't lend money people tend to take forever to pay you back. I would just make mike give you the money himself, and leave the 3rd party out of it. Because Jeff might be a dick because your making him pay back Mike who owes you. sure it is all equivlant and as long as mike is there and goes hey jeff pay dr the money you owe me, he still might be weird giving you the money, and what if jeff doesn't have it, oh well mike gets to say now it is jeff who owes you the money and he is off the hook and jeff might not want to pay you because well he likes mike better. IE, clusterfuck

Comment

If you go to Jeff and ask for the $10 that he owes Michael to cover the $10 Michael owes you, you're just asking for a hell of a lot of trouble.

The $10 between Jeff and Michael is between Jeff and Michael, and as much as you want the money Michael owes you, you have no business in their arrangement, just as Jeff has no business in your arrangement with Michael.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks! I wouldn't have "demanded" the money anyway, but it's more like "Hey, I know you don't relish the notion of having to pay HIM back, and since he's never gonna pay ME back......see where this is going?"

But anyway, we're basically just eating it I guess. It's ten bucks, big deal. But he's definitely lost his internet privileges here.

Comment

I'll spare you the lecture, and just tell you never to loan people anything. You never know when even a great friend won't pay you back or give you your shit back.

Comment

There are people I'm willing to loan money to. There are others for whom I'm always "broke."

Either way, it's a good plan to never loan money you can't afford to give away.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yes, that's a good way to live.

I'm just jaded and overly assertive

I sometimes have to ask for a dollar here or a dollar there at work from coworkers for a soda or a snack, but no one ever seems to care about giving me a dollar. They know I'll give them one back the next day.

Comment

My friend still owes my dad $300, as my friend was wanting to become a police officer and had another friend who got on a department and needed to sell his current gun to buy a different brand that was the "standard" for new department. So my friend was getting a good deal. Of course, it always helps to loan money when worse case scenario you get to keep the item that was purchased with the money. Still gonna be awhile as he got axillary with one of the small towns around here, ie, he is a cop but not paid. But it looks good and holds his certification for when he goes for one of the good paying departments when if they want to hire someone.

Lol, also helps if I get stopped in that town, as I get to drop my friend's name, and mention I'm the one helped him acquire half his equipment.

Comment

The only way I'd do something like that is if they were BOTH there, and I could mention it to them at the same time...Even if they don't go for it, it makes the debt a bit more obvious, and will most likely get you paid back in one way or another

That being said, I agree with everyone here, don't loan money you can't deal with losing (And I realize $10 would fall into that). I *will* loan money when friends need it, if it's something I can easily afford...mainly because not being paid back is a 'cheap' way to find out I can't trust that person, IMO
                    Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

When the Husband was a kid, he let his classmate borrow his black crayon. The other kid broke it. When Husband went to his dad and told him, his dad said, "That's what you get for sharing."

Wise words...I guess. Especially where money is concerned.

Comment

Not to sound overly defensive, because I admit myself it's partially my fault, but I am curious what the response would be to this post, if it were to get made:

"Man there's this guy I borrowed money from, and he keeps bugging me about paying him back. And I keep lying to him to try and hold him off a while longer about why I don't have it, but he just keeps bugging me over and over about it!"

How many people would say "Yeah well that's his problem, you didn't do anything wrong!"

Comment

My response would be something like "Yeah, how dare he trust you and force you to lie to him, instead of being honest! Doesn't he know your friendship is just there to get you things?"

Hmmm, might be why people don't complain to me about things like that more than once
                          Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                            How many people would say "Yeah well that's his problem, you didn't do anything wrong!"
                            I feel exceedingly confident that there would likely be no responses that even came close to that.

Most would likely run along the lines of, "Well maybe you should stop being a lying douchebag and pay the guy back already."

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                            X