my sister in law is driving me nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my sister in law is driving me nuts

Okay, I get that different people find happiness in different ways... I just wish my sister in law would understand this.

We were talking with her (my husband and I... wow, that sentence still seems weird) and we got on the conversation about religion and how I didn't think there was a place for me in any Christian church (at least not in Utah) and that after my experience in the Mormon church I didn't think that bothered me anymore.
    Her reply, "Well, I'm glad you two have found happiness, I'm just sad you'll never know the true happiness that I know"

Umm, excuse me, but who are you to tell me what true happiness is for me?

Oh, it gets better, she went on to tell us that we wouldn't know true happiness as a couple until the church recognized our union... oh I do wish I could see the look on her husband's face if she were to tell him "hey sweetie, happy 10th anniversary of being married and one year anniversary of being happy" (she didn't have a temple wedding until last year but was married nearly 10 years ago).

Seriously, I'm glad that the church brings you so much happiness and joy in life, but please stop assuming I'm not happy because I find my happiness in other places.

Also it is getting really irritating to hear her go on about how much her niece loves church etc... umm, our niece enjoys the primary class songs... that doesn't really say much about her enjoyment of church, just her enjoyment of catchy tunes... hell, I'll admit the songs for primary are catchy, but she barely understands the church, she's only 3. Church doctrine is that children are not truly capable of fully understanding the church until the age of 8 (when they choose whether or not they want to be baptized into the faith), so how you know at three that she loves church and not just the activities of it (yes, there is a difference).
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

It's a silly attitude. I could just as easily say you don't know true happiness until you get drunk more days than not. I could also say you don't know true happiness until you shoot up heroin regularly. Sure those statements might be true for some people, but that doesn't mean it's true for everyone. Church is no different. For some people, it brings peace and happiness. For others, it's an annoyance.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
    X