Generic vs. Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic vs. Name

A two parter....first: What are some products where the name brand is vastly superior to the generic to the point you just can't use it...

Some things for me - dish soap. I need to get Dawn. anything else and it's just awful. i could dump the whole bottle in and still not get any real good suds.

also toilet paper/paper towels. the cheap ones disintegrate and you actually use more than you would if you bought the good kind.

I'm typically a generic brand guy though...I always buy the local store brand of ketchup rather than the Heinz, for example...or the canned veggies. Or the milk.

Part 2 - things where the generic brand is vastly superior to the name brand?

there's a type of soda the local grocery store sells that's basically a generic mountain dew, but I think it tastes 100 times better.

pretty much all of wal-mart's Great Value foods I think are better. Especially the frozen pizzas. Although I'm not sure if this is fair - I think they can mark the products down not because the food is inferior but because they don't waste millions of dollars coming up with catchy designs for the packaging. Just a plain white box with a picture of the food on it.

continue!

Generally, generic is no different than name brand except in name and price. A lot of people will claim that the name brand is better but that's all in their head. For things like food, drugs, etc., generic is the exact same thing, only cheaper.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Well, yes and no.... there are usually differences from one brand to another already. Coke and Pepsi don't taste the same, for example, and many people prefer one over the other. A store brand would be no different, for many things.

Honey Nut Cheerios are much better than whatever store brand version I had last, which was even sweeter and without much other taste. (I think it was from Ingles, but I'm not entirely sure.)

I love the instant iced tea from Wal-Mart.

Saltine crackers are one where it depends on the use. For putting in soup, the store brand is every bit as good. But if I'm just going to eat crackers, the Nabisco ones are tastier. But for a lot of things it doesn't matter.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
        Some things for me - dish soap. I need to get Dawn. anything else and it's just awful. i could dump the whole bottle in and still not get any real good suds.
        suds don't do anything, they're created by a specific surfactant chemical(usually sodium laurel sulfate*), because people think soap doesn't work without tons of foam.

how soap works-chemistry is fun.

*fun fact-sodium laurel sulfate/sodium laureth sulfate is what makes food taste strange after you brush your teeth-it's in toothpase for the same reason, people think foam=cleaning, it doesn't, baking soda cleans just as well as commercial toothpastes yet doesn't foam at all.
        Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 05-22-2011, 05:13 PM.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
          *fun fact-sodium laurel sulfate/sodium laureth sulfate is what makes food taste strange after you brush your teeth-it's in toothpase for the same reason, people think foam=cleaning, it doesn't, baking soda cleans just as well as commercial toothpastes yet doesn't foam at all.
          Except that you shouldn't use baking soda for everyday brushing because it's too abrasive. You'll start to erode your enamel.

Comment

I tried a generic brand of garbage bags once, and I will never do that again. Even for garbage loads that didn't have a lot of corners and such included, the bags were still ripping all over the place and I had to double or triple them up just so the contents of the bag wouldn't explode all over the place. In the long run, I definitely didn't save any money.

Comment

Some good things to buy generic (in my experience):

Batteries
              Mouthwash
              Most canned goods
              Rice and other grains
              Club soda
              Frozen veggies

Some things I always buy brand name:

Colas (Coke)
              Facial tissue and toilet paper
              Most detergents (hard to find the super-concentrated stuff in a generic)
              Shampoo
              Coffee

It seems that generic products are of lesser quality in these cases.

Comment

Having worked in a cake bakery for almost 4 years in the late 90's, I in the oven end of the bakery had no idea who what where or even when they would go to customers. I spent a few days in the packing room where our slabs were cut into slices ready for sealing in wrap and after X boxes for shop A were done, X boxes for shop B were then done, same cake different store brand lable. Now they as I recal didn't have a brand name themselves, but if they did it would possibly be very similar.

So it's no stretch of the imagination to think that some name brands also supply shops with generic, just maybe skimping on some ingredients.

I eat Sainsburys and Tescos fig buiscuits as they are way cheaper than Jacobs although they did jump up from 34p to 44p within a short time frame so I don't buy as many (yes it is only 10p but what seemed like 34p sunday and 44p monday is a bit to ask)

Jaffa Cakes McVitties all the time. although I don't eat them as much as I used to, a 12 pack could last a tea break.

Cola's and other soft drinks I normally go for brand name
                I used to drink Sainsburys at one time when at the bakery but as coke and generics change all the time the sainsburys one started to taste off to me, but never as worse as Panda Cola.
                Mind you are there generics for Tizer Irn Bru and Dr Pepper?

And I'm glad Brad Jones AKA the Cinema Snob got his wish for Christal Pepsi to come back. even if it is called Not See Cola

Comment

Kinda like the old fish plant I worked at. We had different labels to slap on the boxes but they were all the same fish, same weights, sizes, and cuts. Came from the same ocean, same net caught them, same boat hauled them in. Difference? Price.

I was surprised about the soap thing - I aways thought the suds were better. I like there to be a real thick oily feel to the dish water. Made me feel like they were getting extra clean.

Comment

As mentioned, suds are useless. Who cares how much sudsing action you get as long as the soap makes it easier to get the dishes cleaned? I actually use a store-brand dish soap (Kroger), and it is way too overactive in the suds department. Thankfully, it's also a decent soap.

Although I'm not sure if this is fair - I think they can mark the products down not because the food is inferior but because they don't waste millions of dollars coming up with catchy designs for the packaging.
                    This is true. And it's no just the packaging, but the lack of millions spent on advertising for the products.

Most major cereal producers have two lines - One for the name brand box cereal and another for the generic bagged cereal. It's the same exact cereal going through the same exact production facility, but packaged in different containers and given different labels. They sell the generic version for about half to 2/3 the price of the brand version, and still sell more of the brand version because people are afraid of the unknown. The trick with this is to not get the store generics, but the generic generics.

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                    Generally, generic is no different than name brand except in name and price. A lot of people will claim that the name brand is better but that's all in their head. For things like food, drugs, etc., generic is the exact same thing, only cheaper.
                    Actually, not so with most drugs. There are fillers, colorants, and coatings and other ingredients that don't get listed on the labels for drugs that can have different effects on people. In some cases, the generic will cause problems that the brand doesn't, and sometimes it's the other way around. I don't have problems with colorants or other fillers, so as long as the active ingredients are identical, I always go with the generic.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                    Saltine crackers are one where it depends on the use. For putting in soup, the store brand is every bit as good. But if I'm just going to eat crackers, the Nabisco ones are tastier. But for a lot of things it doesn't matter.
                    Saltines are a special case. For whatever reason, Nabisco really knows how to make a cracker, and I have yet to run across a non-Nabisco saltine cracker that wasn't inferior, and you'd think it wouldn't be that difficult to replicate.

I don't eat Sunshine anything if I can avoid it. Their versions are always bland and mostly-flavorless... like eating processed and flavored sawdust. This is a case where the generics are usually better.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                      Some good things to buy generic (in my experience):

Batteries
                      I have purchased generic batteries before, and will probably never do so again. The length of time they lasted in the same device compared to a name brand was laughable. Perhaps I chose a very poor generic, but I'd rather not waste the money to try another generic when I know that the name brand I buy works for a nice length of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                        Mind you are there generics for Tizer Irn Bru and Dr Pepper?
                        Dr Pepper is probably the most-copied cola in the world, actually.

Fake Dr Pepper Land (hit the right arrow at the bottom right to veiw the gallery, which only shows 3 cans at a time)

An image of a guy who collects Dr Pepper knock offs

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The only reason I stopped buying the Dollar Store brand dishwasher detergent is because it's in a powder, and I was always over-filling the little cup thing. (Now I use Finish).

I also use generic (Dollar Store) dish-washing detergent (for those things that I don't want to/can't put into the dishwasher).

Generic deodorant.

As for name brands? I cannot use the following name brands:

1. Irish Spring soap
                          2. Suave body lotion

I'm allergic to both products. I get hives. And I hate getting itchy, red hives. Yuck.

I buy store/generic "Tylenol", frozen veggies/foods, soup mixes, what-have-you. I don't think there's much difference between the name/generic brands for a lot of things. But maybe I'm weird?
                          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                            As mentioned, suds are useless. Who cares how much sudsing action you get as long as the soap makes it easier to get the dishes cleaned? I actually use a store-brand dish soap (Kroger), and it is way too overactive in the suds department. Thankfully, it's also a decent soap.
                            I always thought the suds were the main part of the soap. good, thick oily suds. Get a big wad of it on the sponge before I go scrubbing away at the next dish. I just like suds I guess. I hate the way the water feels after a few loads when it's lost its soapiness.

Comment

It's not the stuff on the water but the stuff in the water that's important.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                              X