Following Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following Orders

On the orders of my gf, I reformatted her dad's computer that has been having some trouble, meaning it was setup 4-5 years ago, has AOL and a whole bunch of spyware.

I backed everything up, and did a base install of windows and office, made an image and we left for dinner, on our way back her dad returned from dinner, and his wife was freaking out how everything was lost and what not, unable to comprehend I'm not so incompetent with computer that I would neglect to grab My docs.

Understandably, they weren't expecting the computer to be worked on while they were gone its just when I had time, and she tried to call and get the OK, but phones were left off and well it was bad enough something needed to be done. I can understand some of the anger.

Parts that annoy me were when he gets pissed that some information of important rich people are on his computer and him, his daughter and me i guess by proxy would be liable if this information got out..... if it is so important, why is there not even a password on computer (ignoring the fact I have a program to crack xp hashes in 30 seconds)..... seriously, if the information is that sensitive you shouldn't have it!!! or it should be encrypted!!!!

Secondly, is the fact it is AT LEAST a 5-6 year old comp with old harddrive. IE, if his wife is so worried about her photos.... The backup I made is the perfect solution, that drive is going to die, most likely with no notice.
    Back to security, while nobody is currently on the network from what I see, the wireless is not secure.

We were able to calm him enough to make it understood that I had all the files backup up before I began (I KNEW, this was likely to happen and mostly proceeded against my will and shrunk original install and hid the partition).

It just pisses me off when people know nothing about computers and freak out on me because they saw some fucking special on identity theft, or see that because some moron left a flash drive with important info and it got found I don't need this crap. I have good mind to be done offering free computer services and see how they feel when they find out to do what I did would EASILY cost $300-400 at a local computer shop, along with no chance of data security.

I don't think you should offer anymore free computer stuff especially to people who are RUDE to you about it. That's why the BF stopped helping my mother out with computer stuff, he would help her with something then she would bitch to me that he had "broken" it.... yet she would ask for his help a few weeks later.

People who don't understand computers think everything is a 2 second fix and it's all easy peasy.
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

I say stop offering free computer help to those that would complain.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
        I don't think you should offer anymore free computer stuff especially to people who are RUDE to you about it. That's why the BF stopped helping my mother out with computer stuff, he would help her with something then she would bitch to me that he had "broken" it.... yet she would ask for his help a few weeks later.

People who don't understand computers think everything is a 2 second fix and it's all easy peasy.
        Actually, I think I would go a step further and honestly considering not even doing it paid at comparable rates. If you have no idea what I'm doing except assuming it is wrong, I want nothing to do with it, and I prefer people who let me take the computer home and do as I please. That way if something goes wrong like it often does I don't have someone over my shoulder.

Also, I do more than I should, I could easily just reinstall windows.... I make it easier for the next time, not only do i install windows, setup the network, printer and office 2007. I make a image of that fresh install. so next time I pull important files, preform a restore and save few hours of downtime.

The thing that annoys me is the paranoia making it that I would be liable if somehow this information got out, sorry I used the gfs harddrive that never leaves the house, AND there is the horribly large previously mentioned security holes that SHOULD be dealt with, but fuck if I'm gonna say anything, that would mean having to configure the wife's laptop to access a secure network which I assume is as bad as the desktop. Although, I think in the ultimate fuck off to this happening again, I'm going to look into using true crypt with puppy linux for when i pull information off peoples computers, that way, i don't need worry about them going OH no my files
        Last edited by insertNameHere; 05-27-2011, 05:28 AM.

Comment

I say start charging them. If they can't appreciate the free help, then forget them.
          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Working...
          X