Overheating computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating computer?

My computer has an overheating issue. It's got the regular fan that came with it, and an extra one added in, which didn't help, and I wound up taking the whole side panel off and sticking a big window fan right next to it to help keep it cooled off. this normally works...

But the last few days we've had some temperature spikes to where it's been like an oven in the house, and the computer won't stay on for more than a half hour without needing a break....

Is there any fix for this?

I don't know what's wrong with it in the first place, but there's only so much cooling any fan can do when the air it's blowing in is already hot.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Check your airflow. In a desktop it should move from the front of the computer, over the components and out the back. Your front fan (if you have one) should be blowing into the computer and your rear fan(s) should be blowing out. Check for dust and cables impeding airflow and clean it out/unclutter the path as much as possible. The Heat sink fans for your CPU and video card in particular need to be cleaned out in particular, as they trap a LOT of dust operating in anything short of a clean room. The power supply is also used for airflow cooling so make sure that is cleaned out.

Best advice is to borrow/rent a compressor and blow out all the dust. I do that every 6 months myself.

One last thing, if there's no side exhaust on your system, you might want to invest in a new case with one. It tends to be the last thing checked with computers and is a a source of most overheating problems.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
        Best advice is to borrow/rent a compressor and blow out all the dust. I do that every 6 months myself.
        Can't you just use a can of compressed air?

Comment

There are plenty of techs who could help on CS.com in the Tech Help section.

Rapscallion
          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
            Actually I've used a vacuum...I have one that can be turned around into a blower, works really well
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Hopefully you won't have the same problem I found out was wrong the last time I had overheating issues - the southbridge on my motherboard was failing, and it manifested as a video glitch every time the system would get beyond a certain heat level. Luckily I was in a situation where I could swap out components as necessary until I only had the mb left.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That sounds...similar to what I'm experiencing.

Honestly I'm not even sure it's the heat, but it's my best guess. The friend who I got it from had the same issue.

It's also just old. And kinda half-assed put together I think.

For a long time it would kinda freeze for a second, and then give me some error down in the corner (where it would say like "you have new updates available!" but it would say "NVIDIA something or other experienced and error and stopped working".

I moved the computer slightly so it's in more an open spot adn can get better circulation, and it hasn't frozen up since.

But another weird thing it's doing - when it DOES fuck up and shut off, the only way to get it back on is a complicated series of buttons:

Flip the back switch to off.

Press the on button on the front.

Flip the back switch to on.

Press the on button on the front.

I dunno what that does. Maybe it's like a reset or something?

Comment

I would suggest using speedfan or some other heat monitoring program to figure out if it is heat related. Also, you said it was old, might just need to reapply the heatsink compound to the processor. It is a relatively quick method that typically works, or at least doesn't waste to much time to rule out parts.

Some people will tell you to get artic silver or other fancy crap, I just use the cheapest thermal compound that radio shack sells, works great as I don't overclock and neither do most of the people who computers I have worked on. You only need a very little bit, usually recommended between size of grain of rice or half a pea. The only purpose is to fill the airgap between heatsink and the CPU, once it dries out it becomes little useless. Although, be careful removing the heatsink you can easily yank the processor out if the grease has hardened, normally i twist the heatsink side to side a bit then gentle pull up. If processor comes iwth it, lay the heat sink down processor side up, and GENTLY slide a credit card or similar piece of plastic to separate them.

Edit:missed Dr's Last post so.
                  Second thing, would be blown capacitors like the PC im rebuilding in my basement, it would randomly turn off and restart, then it wouldn't turn on at all, All the caps went bad, it was an E-machines with No extra ventilation, fried all the major caps. Much more intensive fix, not really worth it but figured it would be good experience for interviews. Due do motherboard going, harddrive was trashed and I'm not trusting the cheap power supply either, so those both still need replacement. Sometimes depending on how much needs replacing it not worth fixing.
                  Last edited by insertNameHere; 06-01-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for replies but the computer is in a coma now.

I turned it on this morning, and it sounded like a bike with cards in the spokes. I thought it was a random wire touching one of the fans, but soon realized it was the hard drive.

Comment

I hope nothing important was on it that isn't stored elsewhere.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Yeah, but those have a pretty limited amount and tend to be pricy. The computer, depending on it's state, can go through a couple of cans. A compressor has no such limitation though.

Comment

Ah, come to think of it, after replacing the motherboard the harddrive still gave the POS e-machines problems too. Funny after recapping the motherboard and shrinking the harddrive with seatools it running like a champ, enough for me to dump another $20 into for a power supply.... still need to figure out which HD im gonna re-purpose for the build

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                            Yeah, but those have a pretty limited amount and tend to be pricy. The computer, depending on it's state, can go through a couple of cans. A compressor has no such limitation though.
                            Yeah, they are absurdly expensive. Considering it's just air.

Still, I'd rather pay the $10 for a can than rent or borrow an air compressor. Those things are huge. Seems like a pain in the ass.

Comment

Yeah, they are absurdly expensive. Considering it's just air.

Still, I'd rather pay the $10 for a can than rent or borrow an air compressor. Those things are huge. Seems like a pain in the ass.
                              Actually, look for fathers day specials or even habor freight. I have seen decent ones at the local hardware store for 50-100$ that are ultra portable. Maybe take up 2 cubic Ft, normally called pancake or whatever. Think they about 1-5 gallons

Now in my barn I have a 10 or 15gallon air compressor that only runs on 220V (America is standard 120V for most things).

Car air compressor can be hit or miss usually they aren't able to blast the volume of air needed to clean stubborn dust

EX
                              http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html
                              I mean if you use any amount of canned air, this good investment. (great for car and bike tires too)
                              Last edited by insertNameHere; 06-04-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X