Joking around about serious rules to the rule maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    It's not so much the questioning of the law or her IDing people that's she's frustrated by; it's the fact that she posted about her friend being a jackass to her and her reaction and almost nobody has commented on anything but the information she provided so that the actual topic would have context.
    As far as thread drift goes, this is pretty minor. No one's managed to work gun control into the debate yet.

I'm occasionally surprised at the things people will start to debate. I'll read the OP, think it's about one thing, and find that everyone else is interested in another, seemingly minor detail.

That's just how it goes at Fratching.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
      As far as thread drift goes, this is pretty minor. No one's managed to work gun control into the debate yet.

I'm occasionally surprised at the things people will start to debate. I'll read the OP, think it's about one thing, and find that everyone else is interested in another, seemingly minor detail.

That's just how it goes at Fratching.
      if they manage to work in gun control they deserve a reward for most amazing swerve ever

also to whoever gave the new rule idea, I'll give it a shot next time or at least the threat of it
      I'm a happy, well adjusted emotinally disturbed person, who can't spell

Comment

LadyMage, while the law really sucks, you had to do what you had to do. Though I do not personally agree with the laws concerning the age of drinking, I will respect the people who throw a party and follow the law strictly. Checking the ids of everyone was a smart move, even if you did it to your husband too. I don't really know the ages of you and your husband, but I know that you can get married before the drinking age. This way, if too much attention is called to your party, you will know who is legal and the cops will see that.

As for the joking around part, I know that it is difficult to put together a party. I've been the hostess of several parties and it can be a strain, even with help. It is understandable that you were feeling the way you were. As the host/ess of a party, all one wants is for everything to go smoothly and without a hitch. Someone being a jerk about it doesn't help and just makes you spend more time on something that you just want to be over with.

As for remembering ages, I suck at that too. I couldn't tell you which of my friends is actually legal to drink because we all have drank together before. Not everyone follows the law.
        "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

So wait, you checked IDs for drinking, but you didn't have a gun check at the door? How safe is that!? (What do I win?)

As far as absurd goes though, there's a lot worse. I wouldn't have been so annoying had I been joking about it though. Once is funny. After that, bleh.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Ya know what? There was another group of people that liked to "classify" people by making them have "ID" on them. They were called NAZIS!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Okay, let's not start that nonsense. I hear enough of that kind of bullshit at work. For those who don't know, I'm a convenience store clerk for a chain of stores in Tennessee. Tennessee has a law named The Responsible Vendor Act which requires ID to be presented for all alcohol purchases regardless of age. While most people have gotten used to showing ID to buy beer, every once in a while I get some moron who bitches and moans about it. The whole "Nazi" argument is one of those pointless arguments that I hear when someone wants to debate the laws. At work, where I'm doing my job to earn a paycheck, is not an appropriate time or place for debating the laws. So, again, please just don't take it down that road.

Comment

Originally posted by aurelemsrealm View Post
                Okay, let's not start that nonsense. I hear enough of that kind of bullshit at work. For those who don't know, I'm a convenience store clerk for a chain of stores in Tennessee. Tennessee has a law named The Responsible Vendor Act which requires ID to be presented for all alcohol purchases regardless of age. While most people have gotten used to showing ID to buy beer, every once in a while I get some moron who bitches and moans about it. The whole "Nazi" argument is one of those pointless arguments that I hear when someone wants to debate the laws. At work, where I'm doing my job to earn a paycheck, is not an appropriate time or place for debating the laws. So, again, please just don't take it down that road.
                Two things:

Comparing selling alcohol at work to serving alcohol at home is apples to oranges.

DrFaroohk, I'm 99.9% sure, was being sarcastic.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  Comparing selling alcohol at work to serving alcohol at home is apples to oranges.
                  When the law is going to treat you like a bartender for serving alcohol at your own party, then it's very much apples to apples. Especially when all parties to be in attendance are forewarned that IDing will be happening.

DrFaroohk, I'm 99.9% sure, was being sarcastic.
                  While I agree with this, the comment seemed so far out of left field and out of place, it took me several moments to come to that conclusion. It seems like it might one of those things that seems hilarious until the moment it's actually said.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I figured he was being silly, noting the comment about topic drift

and greenday, I need to see your id before you get your prize
                    I'm a happy, well adjusted emotinally disturbed person, who can't spell

Comment

Originally posted by LadyMage View Post
                      I figured he was being silly, noting the comment about topic drift

and greenday, I need to see your id before you get your prize
                      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Eh, sarcasm is my second language so that's how I originally read it.

One's an official establishment. Another is your home. That's apples to oranges to me. Thus, since I carry my wallet everywhere with me, one of my friends should let me drink at their party. If my friend was working at a bar and their boss was around, I'd have no issues with them IDing me. Where do you come from that Nazis run your town?

Comment

most bartenders and store clerks have some sort of training or experience in spotting fake ids. how many people serving in their own homes have the same? i mean, unless it was a blatant and really bad fake, how would you know what an id from a state on the other side of the country looks like? do you keep a reference handy to check? or do you limit attendance at parties only to those who have an id from your state? finally, how protected are you if you serve to someone with a fake id? i know laws vary, but i have friends who've tended bar and have gotten fined after serving minors that presented fake id.

Comment

If my friend was working at a bar and their boss was around, I'd have no issues with them IDing me.
                          What if the boss was out? Would you have problems with them IDing you in that situation?

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                            What if the boss was out? Would you have problems with them IDing you in that situation?

^-.-^
                            Nope. They are hundreds of thousands times more likely to have someone question it at work than in their living room.

Comment

Nope. They are hundreds of thousands times more likely to have someone question it at work than in their living room.
                              Then I'm confused as to why you specified when their boss was there.

Either way, the whole point of IDing isn't for the thousand times when nothing comes of it, but for that one time something does. It's an insignificant action that does a huge amount of ass-covering.

^-.-^

Comment

ID laws are very strict in some parts of the US, or maybe just at certain establishments.

I don't have to ID anyone who I for sure is of age, as long as they're sober. So I could sell my friends a bottle of wine without ID and not break any laws.

Comment

Working...
                                X