When aloe fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When aloe fails

Itching is the worst sensation. It's worse than pain. I'd prefer pain. Pain's easy to deal with. Itching can drive you fucking crazy.

I got a really bad sunburn; didn't realize how bad until the blisters appeared a couple days ago. Now it's itchy as fuck all, and aloe isn't working. I've tried vinegar and Tylenol and cool showers and I'm going damn batty. The only thing that seemed to work was drinking, since it numbed my nerve endings. But I have work today, and a volunteer's meeting this evening. How am I supposed to deal with this then?

I'm about to either cry or tear my skin off. FML.
    I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

The only other thing I can think of is noxema?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

If you can, try an oatmeal bath. Very soothing for the skin - it's what is recommended when you have the Itchy Scourge, the chicken pox.

Comment

Unfortunately, the itching is part of the healing process, and as such, aloe won't be any great help.

Here's a page with a bunch of options. I have no idea how good or safe these are, so do your research before trying them.

My last two burns (sun and soup, respectively) were awful and I found that if I either kept the area in question covered by clothing or kept a fan going that I could feel blowing on the affected area, it helped reduce the overall itching issue.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Can you use hydrocortisone cream on it? It works on bug bites. I don't know if it is safe to use on healing skin though.

I got an incredibly bad burn last year; I was so busy making sure my son had sunscreen on, I forgot to put any on me! I'll never make that mistake again. You can still see it; the skin is darker where the burn was so you can see the outline of my swimsuit on my back.

Comment

The oatmeal bath worked for a bit (though the rum probably helped).

A friend directed me elsewhere. Looks like it's a sun rash. How annoying. ><

Hoping against hope that the itching stops tomorrow. Or at least is tolerable.
            I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
              Can you use hydrocortisone cream on it? It works on bug bites. I don't know if it is safe to use on healing skin though.
              You really shouldn't use a hydrocortisone cream unless your doctor has recommended it for a specific skin issue. I realize these creams are topical and low-dose, but it is a steroid.

Most people have a tube of hydrocortisone lying around their medicine cabinets from a previous inflammation, and are tempted to use it for any skin issue. But it's not a good idea.

Comment

Khan gets the worst reaction to mosquito bites I've ever seen, and his doctor told me to use hydrocortisone to keep him from scratching them bloody. Seems to work, mostly.

Comment

Solarcaine helps with the itching and the burning sensations of sunburns. I also like that it can help your burn heal up quicker if you treat the burn in time.
                  There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Preparation H helps pimples.

Don't even ask. I got desperate.

Comment

Wow. I have a way to get rid of itch, but it's for rashes and I'd recommend you NOT use it on a burn.

However, take a painkiller. Itch is a type of pain and painkillers will lessen it.

Comment

Working...
                      X