No announcement yet.

Derogatory Terms for Whites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I've discovered that "The Man" is a term used by almost anyone who is financially/socially/whatever *underneath* someone else....meaning working under someone, trying to pass it off as a valid term of being oppressed.....I have heard it used by people of all ages and races.

I've heard people at work bitch about "The Man" making more money than them, getting hour long lunches, whatever........sure, it doesn't seem fair and I'm no fan of our little caste system at work, but I'm not going to go flapping ignorant gum of "Da Man" holding me down just because I'm in a lower position at work than someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
      Do they even get used in the UK? I only heard Honkey from American shows growing up and Cracker only a few years ago (without this it would just be a robbie coltrain TV show)

Kinda like in my "never made it across the pond" thread, they have little to no power over here cos they are forign words (albeit from an English speaking country) with no real grounding here. I don't think there are any English based insults towards white people, just those two borrowed infrequently from America.
      Exactly that; people who've watched American shows and are using those words as insults directed towards whites without even knowing what they mean.
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
        And more specifically, they lack power.

I have the privilege to be unoffended if someone calls me a cracker, because it doesn't mean a damned thing to me or my life. I'm white. I can get called all the slurs in the world and it doesn't matter, because I've still got it made.
        This is a really good point.

I haven't' been called one of those sorts of names. I've been called "Wop", "Guinny" and "Gypo", all pretty accurate as far as ignorant racial slurs go, but I would say they lack power in the this sense, too, and for the same reason.

I'm considered white. Evidently there are still a few unturned rocks where there this is not an accepted fact. But it hardly matters to me what some bigot thinks (or in this case, doesn't think), I just consider the source and move on.

Comment

When I still had my 2nd job I was called snowflake a lot, but it was a joke because I was the whitest of the white people that worked there. I honesty didn't care, I thought it was cool.
          "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Working...
          X