No announcement yet.

Birthdays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I requested my 21st birthday off because it was on a Sunday, and at the time I was working Sunday nights, but 21 is kind of a big deal, ya know?

My 22nd bday was on a Tuesday, I didn't request it off.

My 23rd birthday was on a Wednesday, again, I didn't request off. Just treated myself to a "naughty" day of not going in early for overtime hours.

My 24th birthday was on a Thursday, of course at the time, I was still working every Thursday, so I requested off just to have a 3 day weekend from work. I didn't have any huge plans, I just wanted to.

My next bday is on a Friday. I won't need to take off, unless they try to make us work overtime or whatever reason, if that even happens.

For some reason, my birthday is NEVER on Saturdays thanks to leap years.

Comment

If I have to work on my birthday, I'll do it, but personally I'd rather spend my birthday doing whatever the fuck I wanna do and being treated like a Queen for a day.
      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post

For some reason, my birthday is NEVER on Saturdays thanks to leap years.
        now I'm curious if there is a day my bday skips cause of leap years......interesting.
        Last edited by Ree; 07-09-2011, 02:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

There must be. I will turn 26 on a Sunday.

Comment

OT but interesting fact on leap years...

The Gregorian calendar, which now serves as the standard calendar for civil use throughout the world, has both common years and leap years. A common year has 365 days and a leap year 366 days, with the extra, or intercalary, day designated as February 29. A leap year occurs every four years to help synchronize the calendar year with the solar year, or the length of time it takes the earth to complete its orbit about the sun, which is about 365¼ days.

The length of the solar year, however, is slightly less than 365¼ days—by about 11 minutes. To compensate for this discrepancy, the leap year is omitted three times every four hundred years.

In other words, a century year cannot be a leap year unless it is divisible by 400. Thus 1700, 1800, and 1900 were not leap years, but 1600, 2000, and 2400 are leap years.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Perhaps if they made it law that working on your birthday automatically made it overtime rate you might shut up those that pitch fits about having to work, but then for those like me who don't give a flying, well it sucks that we never had the monetary gain all the other years.

Comment

Back when I cared about my birthday, I would work the day of my birthday and take the next day off to recover from partying.

Nowadays, I just celebrate my birthday the same way I celebrate Tuesday.
                "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
                -- OMM 0000

Comment

My husband prefers to have a day off on his birthday, but if that's not possible it doesn't bother him. HR at his current job doesn't mind giving it to him, because he keeps racking up holiday hours and not actually taking them. It means he gets to stay at home and still get paid if there's not enough work, and randomly come home early (but still get paid) if he finishes all his cars ahead of schedule and there's no computers for him to fix/upgrade. He also tries to surprise me by taking my birthday off most years so that we can do something as a family.

Comment

My birthday falls close to Thanksgiving. I try to request it off whenever I can think of it, but I don't necessarily pitch a fit if I have to work. I'm a big believer that working holidays in general is a crock of crap, but I don't really gripe and grumble about it. My thought on the subject is that holidays and special occasions are for doing what I want to do and spending time with family and friends. Coworkers (while I get along with most of them) and customers just don't fall into this facet of my life. My way of dealing with it is to basically just slack off and do as little as I can possibly do without getting in trouble if I do have to work on a birthday or holiday. That may sound a little passive-aggressive or whatever you wish to call it, but I really don't care. I still grudgingly go and quietly do what I have to do to get through the day. I basically decided long ago not to recognize holidays if they fall on a day I get stuck at work. I pick a day off to celebrate the occasion. I guess my answer is that I'm indifferent because I'm not letting work ruin my celebration because I observe special occasions when I'm not at work.

Comment

my b-day is near the end of May so sometimes I get it off unintentionally (as it falls on a Sat or Sun) just this year my b-day fell on Memorial Day and I did not ask off for it.

for the last 11 years or so I have NOT specifically asked off for my B-day. at my age it is just another day (possibly working). I can wait until the weekend after to really celebrate. when I was still married to my Ex we would usually wait until the next Sat night to go out for dinner and a movie.

add in the fact that at my pizza place no one (except the GMs pets) know when each others b-days are anyway. so unless you specifically ask for your b-day off (and put that reason on the request in the POS system), no one will really know or care. there used to be a list in the office but it always seemed the pets got better treatment then others and that list has faded out.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by aurelemsrealm View Post
                        My thought on the subject is that holidays and special occasions are for doing what I want to do and spending time with family and friends. Coworkers (while I get along with most of them) and customers just don't fall into this facet of my life.
                        Amen!

Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc. are public holidays so that we can all spend quality time with our families -- unless you are a powerless wage slave in the retail or restaurant industries, in which case fuck you, because we want to shop and eat out on our day off.

Public holidays, like everything else in America, are only for the privileged.
                        Last edited by Boozy; 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I had a friend who was adamant about not working Sundays. He was really, really Christian (as well as a hypocrite and liar...I wonder if he told his new wife he was actually still a virgin?)

At any rate....we're both in the theatre. And in the theatre, we rehearse and perform on Sunday (Monday is the traditional day off for theatre people). He would begrudgingly go to Sunday evening rehearsals, but he always threw a fit and would refuse to come in before 1 pm, so he could go to church. But then...on days that he didn't have rehearsal...he'd want to go out to eat on Sunday. Or go shopping. I confronted him about that once, and he said, "Well, obviously, they aren't real Christians, or they wouldn't be working on Sunday. They must not mind working on Sunday, so why shouldn't I go out to eat?"

I never understood his logic. In fact, thinking back...I'm kinda wishing I'd gotten the chance to kick his ass before he moved. Eh.

Comment

I've never had a problem working on my birthday, but I also see that sometimes a boss just doesn't feel like giving time off. If there's a really good reason why someone's shift can't be switched then tough shit you gotta work, but if its just because the boss doesn't feel like having to pencil in the changes, fuck off boss.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                              But then...on days that he didn't have rehearsal...he'd want to go out to eat on Sunday. Or go shopping. I confronted him about that once, and he said, "Well, obviously, they aren't real Christians, or they wouldn't be working on Sunday. They must not mind working on Sunday, so why shouldn't I go out to eat?"
                              So he shouldn't be required to work on Sundays, but it's okay if he makes it so someone else has to? Judging by that one thing, I'd agree that he was a hypocrite.

As far as birthdays, I'd be happy to not need to work on my birthday/have the day off, but there are many, many worse things than that. And I wouldn't whine to my boss about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X