Looking back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back

I figured this might be fun or at least interesting.

I find myself sometimes witnessing, hearing or reading about things that absolutely shock and disgust me. However, there are things that floor me NOW that I was actually GUILTY OF at one time in my life.

So, I'll start:

Reading about people who go to work hungover.

It shocks me nowadays but back in my 20s, this was a regular thing for me. It probably shocks no one here that I was a bit of a party girl.
    It was so bad one time that I went to work and was actually *still drunk* from partying the night before. My boss came out on the call center floor, took one look at me, and sent me home. With pay. Knowing I was still half-drunk. And LAUGHED about it.

I look back at this and am completely appalled at my behavior. When I hear about people doing this, I think, "Jesus, what an asshole!". Then I stop and think about it and I get really embarrassed and feel like a total tool.

Has anyone else grown out of behaviors that you now find appalling?
    Last edited by Peppergirl; 07-13-2011, 01:58 AM.

Has anyone else grown out of behaviors that you now find appalling?
    Yes.

Oh, you wanted a list? :P
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I was recently at my 10 year class reunion, watching a number of classmates get embarrassingly, belligerently drunk. As I watched the mayhem, all I could think was, "Didn't I outgrow this, oh, 5 years ago?"

Comment

I was a stunningly boring kid... and what few vices I had when I was young I still have, for the most part.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
          It was so bad one time that I went to work and was actually *still drunk* from partying the night before.
          Something similar happened to me years ago.

Despite my nickname and my love of fine wine, I've never been much of a heavy drinker. In my youthful party days, I preferred weed.

We always used to smoke, but one night someone showed up with some pot brownies. The trouble with brownies is:

1) You don't know how much of the good stuff is in it,

2) It hits your bloodstream more slowly than smoking, so you tend to have more than you would have otherwise (plus, YUM brownies!), and

3) It stays in your system longer. A LOT longer.

I ended up slogging through an entire 8 hour shift the next day completely stoned. God only knows how badly our till was off at closing time.

The thing is, I could have called in sick with no penalty, but pot-heads are kind of dumb, so I didn't even think of it at the time.

The only other thing that often has me shaking my head now is my choice of men in the past. Some of them are related to the "pot-heads are dumb" thing, but some aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
            The only other thing that often has me shaking my head now is my choice of men in the past. Some of them are related to the "pot-heads are dumb" thing, but some aren't.
            Oh yeah, that. *sigh* I really wish I could go back in time and have a talk with 16 year old me. I got caught up several times with boys that only wanted physical relationships, but convinced myself that was enough of a relationship for me. It wasn't.

Another thing I regret is how much driving under the influence I did in college. I can't tell you how many times I'd go to a party, get drunk or stoned or both, and then drive home. Sometimes to my parents' house, which was 30 minutes away down two lane state highway. I never had a wreck and I never got caught, but that could've been so bad....

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
              I was recently at my 10 year class reunion, watching a number of classmates get embarrassingly, belligerently drunk. As I watched the mayhem, all I could think was, "Didn't I outgrow this, oh, 5 years ago?"
              Yep, I got to see that at mine too. Seriously, quite a few of my classmates were still as they were in high school. Quite a few were drunk out of their minds...and one guy nearly got his ass kicked. Seems he couldn't quite control himself with one of the ladies...after she'd told him to knock it off. Not only was she pissed, but her (very large) boyfriend was about to break him in half Nice guy though, but not willing to share his hot girlfriend

With that said, I never really drank much, and it's rare that I'm even tipsy. I just can't see the point of getting *so* fucked up that you don't even remember your own name. Granted, I *have* been fucked up (no comments from the peanut gallery ) on occasion, but there's no driving involved...and the hallway to the bedroom is narrow enough I can use the walls to stay up.

Comment

Class reunions are a trip, aren't they????

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                  It probably shocks no one here that I was a bit of a party girl.

I am completely shocked and surprised by this news!

Anyway when I was younger and in college I did spend many a day in class hungover from the quarters game or whatever the night before. Some friends and I invented a Monopoly drinking game that we never did finish .

But then I decided I hated being hungover and sick so I stopped. I barely drink at all now...can't remember the last time I had a mixed drink (although it's starting to sound good lately), and if I have wine in the house I cook with it rather than drink it.

I live on caffeine and water now.....not even juice or soda anymore.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

maybe 33 years ago I should have paid more attention to school and not partying ( I would have not been kicked out of that school for adcedemic failure). seems there were more than a few nights where 12 pack of beer was "dinner".

Yeah it was the YEAH I AM 18 and AWAAAAAAAYUYYYYY from Mom and Dad... PAAAAARRRRTTTTYYYYYYYY (also the restrictions on alcohol were a "little" (nuidge nudge wink wwink) more relaxed in a college town at that time)

but then again less than 5 or 6 years later I quit doing that after a couple of "friends" beat me up and broke my bicycle after I wanted to leave a party/gathering.

mixed around with a few other chemicals on occasion (none of the hard stuff) after that but pretty well kicked all of that after I got married in 1985. for the most part after that I did a little drinking solo "party" about once every 6 months. and for the last 4 years I have been completely sober with only a once a year thing twice.

now I am afraid to drink becasue of my nasty (possibly) unpassable kidney stone(s)

at least in HS I was the wallflower and was pretty reserved.
                    Last edited by Racket_Man; 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Oh yeah...

1) Being a mean and ugly.
                      In middle school I wasn't necessarily a bully, but I did partake in spreading nasty rumors and name-calling just because the popular girls didn't like someone. I felt like I HAD to do that in order to be accepted and not picked on myself. I also didn't stick up for kids that were being bullied in fear of being the next target. I began regretting that when I got to college. I taught middle school as a sub a few years ago shuddering at a lot of the behavior. Then ashamed because I knew I used to act the same way.

2) Piercings/tattoos.
                      This is a pretty recent one for me. I'm going to get soooo burned for this, but I cannot stand piercings (besides ears) and tattoos. On guys or girls. When I see people with them in an office, I have to work VERY hard to not view them as unprofessional. That's just my personal feeling, I do not think having them makes you a bad person and many of my loved ones have them.

However, not too long ago, when I was still living under my mom's roof (I was 20, a mere 5 years ago) I BEGGED AND BEGGED her to let me get a tattoo and various facial piercings. She told me "no way", her house, her rules. If I got one I would be kicked out. I even had a tongue piercing for a while, which I was slapped for. I recently thanked her for not letting me get tattoos, which was tough.

Comment

A few years ago, I was party girl. Nowhere near as bad as, say, Lindsay Lohan and thank God I never got in any trouble, but I sure made some really dumb decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                          Yes.

Oh, you wanted a list? :P
                          I know, right?

Yes. My list is very, very long and I'm too embarrassed to admit I did most of the stuff on it.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                            I know, right?

Yes. My list is very, very long and I'm too embarrassed to admit I did most of the stuff on it.
                            Mine is horribly embarrassing as well. And karma is paying me back for my misdeeds in the form of my son: a 20 year old male version of ME at that age.

Danny is my mothers revenge on me, for sure.

Comment

Nowadays I preach to girls DO NOT take home guys from the bar, do not look to make relationships out of guys at the bar.

That's how I wasted 2 1/2 years of my life. I don't want any other young lady to be young, dumb, and easily swayed by someone good looking who is nothing but trouble. Not that only troublemakers go out to the bar, but it's just not a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X