Is this really healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really healthy?

My brother used to be very overweight. He's around 6'1 and I think at one point he was in the 350lb range. About 10 years ago, he had some kind of wake-up call and lost a ton of weight, over 100lbs in one year. He got down to around 200lbs in the end and maintained that weight for a while.

He's been dating his girlfriend, T, for several years now and recently they decided they needed to go on diets. My bro's weight was creeping back up (he was about 240 a year ago) and his girlfriend wasn't obese but she was overweight. For a while they were going to the gym and eating normally. Now they've gone kind of extreme.

In the last 3 months, T has refused to cook. She used to cook a lot, almost too much one would argue, or at least too much high-calorie foods (roasts with cream gravies and mashed potatoes, lasagna loaded with cheese, bratwursts on the grill, and lots and lots of desserts...they could go through a German chocolate cake in about 3 days, and she'd make desserts 2-3 times a week.) Instead, they go to Subway...every...day...of the week. They go once a day, for dinner, and get the exact same thing every time. During the day, for breakfast and lunch, they eat powerbars, granola bars, protein shakes, and plain popcorn. T has lost over 40lbs since they started doing this 3 months ago. My bro is now down to about 175lbs.

Okay, fine. They're losing weight and they seem happy about the way they're doing it. But what concerns me is that they're making T's daughter, D, do the same thing.

D is 10. She'll be 11 in a couple of months. They have her on the same diet; power bars for breakfast and lunch, and a 6 inch sub for dinner. She's also very active in a lot of sports. My bro and T say that she needs to be active all the time or she will just sit around thinking about food and eating all the time.

The kicker is that D wasn't overweight to begin with. She may have been a little chunky; I don't know what she weighed, but she was not considered obese by any means. She has lost a lot of weight since they started the Subway diet and she is practically skin and bones now. When my parents had them over for dinner a few nights ago, D hardly ate anything because she was afraid T and my bro were going to read her the riot act for eating too much. They themselves, meanwhile, had massive portions of everything, to the point that T actually made herself sick, literally...a couple hours after dinner, she went into the bathroom and started vomiting.

I can't imagine this is healthy. They are probably eating around or under 1000 calories a day. This isn't healthy for a normal adult, let alone a growing child who is very active in sports (did I mention that they all take bike rides and long walks every day as well?) But you can't tell them anything. My mom has talked to my bro about how concerned she is about them and how they need to eat more, and that they should learn how to cook healthy foods. But my bro insists that this is the best way to do it, since Subway has all their nutritional values laid out and they can see exactly how many calories they're getting from their meals there. He says that T should never cook again and that everyone in America should be doing this and it would solve all of our obesity problems forever.

I can see that sort of thing for a weight-loss diet; it's probably easier to just say "this is what I'm going to eat every day" and make it a habit rather than having to make decisions all the time and adjusting. But if you're already the right weight or less, then you need to consume as many calories as you burn or you'll starve!

The throwing up is a bad sign as well. Perhaps it was intentional? I'm breaking my diet, so I'd better go whole-hog and have a bulimic episode, rather than indulging *a little* and actually digesting it? Either way, definitely the child shouldn't be on it.

They're right, though, that if everybody ate too little, we wouldn't be fat
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I hate to say it, but call CPS-NOW!!! Like yesterday! PLEASE! They will assess the situation, they will not give your name, and maybe fear will knock some sense into them. Nutrition is more than just "calories", they are malnourishing their daughter at the worst, at best they are setting her up for a MASSIVE eating disorder(it took me seven years of treatment to get over mine, and I still have issues from time to time). IF you don't feel comfortable calling, is there any way you can make a call to speak to the school nurse, or better yet school councilor, heck even get ahold of one of her teachers-they have a duty to report suspected neglect or abuse-withholding food IS ABUSE!!!!!

You do not want your niece to end up like these kids.

Power bars ARE NOT HEALTHY, they are 250 empty calories, they have a whopping 25% of the US RDA of vitamin A, no protein just sugar and carbs-THAT IS ALL.

Some vitamin deficiencies can kill quick, others can cause permanent damage(vitamin B12 deficiency can cause symptoms that mimic schizophrenia that are 100% permanent and 100% untreatable)

Offer to babysit, and take her to urgent care of the ER-say she had a stomachache, or fainted-she more than likely has suffered from both recently, and physicians also have a duty to report, and would have evidence. DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT "BETRAYING YOUR FAMILY" they are betraying your niece, by not providing what she needs to thrive, sit by and do nothing and the following will likely happen, then you can feel guilty, and your brother and SIL will be in jail for murder/manslaughter.

starvation and malnutrition will cause death:
      Originally posted by wiki
      Individuals experiencing starvation lose substantial fat (adipose) and muscle mass as the body breaks down these tissues for energy. Catabolysis is the process of a body breaking down its own muscles and other tissues in order to keep vital systems such as the nervous system and heart muscle (myocardium) functioning. Vitamin deficiency is a common result of starvation, often leading to anemia, beriberi, pellagra, and scurvy. These diseases collectively can also cause diarrhea, skin rashes, edema, and heart failure. Individuals are often irritable and lethargic as a result.

Early symptoms include impulsivity, irritability, hyperactivity and possibly submissiveness.[7] Atrophy (wasting away) of the stomach weakens the perception of hunger, since the perception is controlled by the percentage of the stomach that is empty. Victims of starvation are often too weak to sense thirst, and therefore become dehydrated.

All movements become painful due to muscle atrophy and dry, cracked skin that is caused by severe dehydration. With a weakened body, diseases are commonplace. Fungi, for example, often grow under the esophagus, making swallowing unbearably painful.

The energy deficiency inherent in starvation causes fatigue and renders the victim more apathetic over time. As the starving person becomes too weak to move or even eat, their interaction with the surrounding world diminishes.
      Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 07-14-2011, 02:30 AM.
      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

That doesn't sound particularly healthy to me, I've about had my fill of fad diets, or otherwise dangerous eating habits. The child especially shouldn't be involved in a diet like that. I mean Subway can be I suppose, but I'd also think that it could get rather pricey, but I guess if you aren't really getting real groceries it evens out?

I know friends of mine are doing the whole HCG diet where you take a hormone supplement thing that supposedly helps you burn off stored fat (no proof that it does at all), and you eat 500 calories a day, and I believe a lot of that is protein ( I could be wrong). One of my friends who has been doing it on and off for awhile now has been having issues with her teeth cracking or chipping more than they normally would, I can't help but wonder if her diet is the issue.

Comment

1) No, it's not healthy at all, especially for the daughter. As BK said, she isn't getting vitamins that she needs, especially for a girl who is about to start, well, menstruating. She's going to need more iron than a Subway sandwich can provide. (Also, do they not know about a little thing called salt? That's rampant in all processed foods? )

2) They're definitely setting her up to be anorexic/bulimic and have other body-related self-esteem issues.

Your parents definitely need to get involved. Talk to CPS if you have to. It's one thing for the adults to do crazy diets, but to force that on a growing child is wrong.

ETA: I don't know where the girl's father is, but he may want to be informed that his daughter is being effectively starved.

Comment

Tooth decay is one of the many symptoms of malnutrition, so I'd say that's a very high likelihood.

I'm with others who say that that diet is not only unhealthy, but outright dangerous for an active, growing child.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I am getting most of this second-hand from my mom, since my entire family (my parents, and my bro/T/D) lives in Wisconsin and I live in Texas. I haven't actually seen my bro or T or D in about 2 years. Can/should I still report to CPS if it's all hear-say basically? My parents themselves will not report it, they don't agree with with my bro and T are doing but they also will not get involved. I don't know what school D goes to or the names of her teachers/advisors/whatever. I also don't know exactly how much they let her eat. T says she has no food in the house except power bars/protein bars/granola bars/popcorn and that they eat at Subway once a day. So I assume D eats power bars and such during the day and Subway once a day for dinner like my bro and T do.

Also regarding D's father, he is an alcoholic, addicted to drugs, and was physically abusive toward both T and D when T was married to him. He has little to no contact with D today. The court has granted him supervised visitation rights, but the last several times they had appointments for such (which was several years ago) he failed to show up and has not bothered to set up any appointments since then. I really don't think it's worth tracking him down, since nobody even knows where he lives now. He doesn't even bother to call D on her birthday or Christmas, or send her a card (he has their mailing address and phone number, he has called her and sent her cards in the past.)

As far as T purposely throwing up, I thought of that too. I have no idea if that's what she actually did but my mom, who saw her all evening during and after dinner, said she did eat a TON of food including a lot of dessert and was looking pretty ill right before she went into the bathroom. I know that one time I ate so much fondue that I got physically ill and had to throw up, I didn't want to, I HAD to. So I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that she just overate. Her and my bro have like zero willpower; if they are presented with food, they will eat and eat and eat and don't know when or how to stop. That's why they refuse to have any food in the house, to remove the temptation to eat.

Comment

If all T eats is that tiny portion of food every day and she had a huge meal at your family's, it's quite possible she threw up merely because her stomach wasn't large enough to actually take all of the food put in it.

Also, depending on what kind of sandwiches they get at Subway, it could be that their stomachs are starting to be incapable of digesting certain types of foods.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
                  I am getting most of this second-hand from my mom, since my entire family (my parents, and my bro/T/D) lives in Wisconsin and I live in Texas. I haven't actually seen my bro or T or D in about 2 years. Can/should I still report to CPS if it's all hear-say basically?
                  It couldn't hurt to try. They don't have to know it was you; for all they know, it could've been one of D's friends or teachers, or a neighbor.
                  People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                  If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Working...
                  X