garage sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage sales

I went to a bunch of garage sales today. I really wish people would have some sense in establishing signs. At a stop sign in a busy intersection is a good spot to be noticed but for those not from the Area your address doesn't mean shit. ALSO, ARROWS ARE YOUR FRIEND. I managed to end up about 15 miles from my house following one set of signs because hey were well done and I could figure out where they wanted me to go.

Another thing is SIZE, a 12X6 in sign is useless on a state route where people will fly by a 60mph with no time to read the sign. Along with secure the sign so it doesn't fold over on itself in the wind and not be able to be read. I managed to find about half the garage sales I saw signs for since many were in same areas and well I was bored as hell.

Although in retrospect, I should have tried to negotiate down the cost of the NES/Atari combo box noticing that one was missing a power brick and the duck hunt zapper, along once I got it home to test it the connector is shot. but considering I havn't seen a classic Nintendo at a garage sale in years, I decided it was worth $30. Since there were a couple controllers and games for each, but probably could have saved a few bucks by pointing out the flaws.

Another thing, big fat block letters are your friend. You may have a poster-board-sized sign, but if the handwriting looks like a thin little scribble, I'll never read it.

And PLEASE take the sign down once the sale is over. I don't want to keep seeing your sale sign two months from now and much worse for wear.

Comment

And have a person at the garage sale!!! I always feel weird walking up to look and everyone is inside. It's a little creepy.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

I like garage sales, but I run a flea market and I think that format is better. It's the same place, same time every time and consistent. The only thing that changes are the vendors and what items are actually selling.

JackFair you should check it out sometime it's in Portland
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
          JackFair you should check it out sometime it's in Portland
          But that's like so far away all the way across the river where I work and play and oh yeah I guess I will
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Haha I messaged you about it

Comment

Note: the below is NOT intended as a dig at women. But this particular one was kind of...weird.

I once found a garage sale sign stapled to a telephone pole in my neighborhood, with a staple at each corner (it being paper and not stiff board). It read, "Garage sale, Saturday, 10-5". That's it. No address. No directions. No arrow. And no other signs nearby. (Later, while walking around, I didn't see any more of these, I think this was the only one). It was on one corner of an intersection, but was placed on the pole so that it faced the middle of the intersection, so not indicating direction by placement, either. After walking around to see if it was at any nearby house, I found nothing, so finally I just pulled the sign right off the pole.

...there was an address, to a house about a block and a half away, written on the back of the sign. With staples at each corner, the only way to read it was to take it completely down.

The house had a small sign by the driveway. I walked down to the sale in the back yard, and found a man and woman there. I said, "Uh, I found the address to your sale on the back of this sign (which I'd brought with me) which was stapled to a pole on the next block." The woman put her hands on her hips, said crossly, "See! I told you it would work!!" and stomped off into the house. The man looked embarrassed, but said nothing more, and I didn't ask.

Comment

Yeah, it will work ONE time, lol WOW that is really bad. I mean you had to physically rip the sign off the pole to figure out where you needed to go, I guess they didn't want a lot of traffic

Comment

My Mom used to have a neighbor that had a yard sale everyday the sun came up rain or shine. He didn't have any parking except on a very busy street right past the crest of a hill, he was notorious for just up an leaving and expecting the neighbors to keep an eye out. He got angry at Mom for "allowing" someone to steal some of his high priced junk. She finally told him to bug off as she wasn't getting paid and it was his responsibility and furthermore if anyone else parked on her patio that she didn't know their car was getting towed. The neighbor wasn't happy. Finally the city passed an ordiance that all yard sales permits had to be applied for with the city and the codes inspector would determine if someone had sufficient and safe parking and there was a $25 fee. The neighbor got put out of business.
                  Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

I love yard/garage sales. But like what was mentioned before. Please have a sign that is readible and with arrows or atlest a street name

Comment

I am suddenly thankful that everyone around here dates their garage sale signs. Though if I was inclined towards any, I would just head down to the flea market anyway me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                        I am suddenly thankful that everyone around here dates their garage sale signs. Though if I was inclined towards any, I would just head down to the flea market anyway me thinks.
                        Makes me wish you lived near me Just had my monthly flea market Saturday and it was busier than I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkle View Post
                          Note: the below is NOT intended as a dig at women. But this particular one was kind of...weird.

I once found a garage sale sign stapled to a telephone pole in my neighborhood, with a staple at each corner (it being paper and not stiff board). It read, "Garage sale, Saturday, 10-5". That's it. No address. No directions. No arrow. And no other signs nearby. (Later, while walking around, I didn't see any more of these, I think this was the only one). It was on one corner of an intersection, but was placed on the pole so that it faced the middle of the intersection, so not indicating direction by placement, either. After walking around to see if it was at any nearby house, I found nothing, so finally I just pulled the sign right off the pole.

...there was an address, to a house about a block and a half away, written on the back of the sign. With staples at each corner, the only way to read it was to take it completely down.

The house had a small sign by the driveway. I walked down to the sale in the back yard, and found a man and woman there. I said, "Uh, I found the address to your sale on the back of this sign (which I'd brought with me) which was stapled to a pole on the next block." The woman put her hands on her hips, said crossly, "See! I told you it would work!!" and stomped off into the house. The man looked embarrassed, but said nothing more, and I didn't ask.

In my area, there's a store that collects garage sale information and prints up a little map each weekend. The local radio station also announces sales on Saturday morning when the sales are in full swing.

Comment

Interesting development this last week-end. I take long walks at night. One Thurs. or Fri. night, I discovered garage sale signs. Lots and LOTS of garage sale signs. They were made of plain white paper, and each one had been hand-drawn - by the looks of them, drawn by a kid. They had no address, just an arrow and "Follow the arrows". They were legible (if very, very lopsided) close up, drawn with many colors of marker and with hollow letters that were completely illegible a few feet away. They were nailed or taped up and, being connected only in the center, were rolling and curling up on themselves. And they were EVERYWHERE.

The bus stop had three of them within an eight-foot zone: one IN the bus shelter, one on the bus stop signpost, another on the streetlight post. EVERY telephone pole on the main streets had one. Must have seen at least thirty or forty of them. Saturday, I tried to follow them, and they seemed to lead up the hill but eventually just stopped.

Perhaps some kids wanted to pretend to have a garage sale but had never been to one, so they did only the part they were used to seeing: putting up signs? But a parent had to have driven them around, as there are several long, steep hills here.

Since I collect old stuff (lava lamps, lighting fixtures, electric fans, clocks, etc.) I tend to look in older neighborhoods. Any area built in the 90s or after tends toward what I call the "new family effect" - that being sales comprised almost entirely of clothes, toys etc. the baby outgrew, recent clothing, and furniture, housewares etc. bought at Wal-Mart and Target. In older neighborhoods, especially ones dating to the 50s and 60s, I have a better chance of finding, say, that Lava Lite they were given as a wedding gift, which went straight into the attic or closet.
                            Last edited by Skunkle; 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X