Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving

I am fed up to the back teeth with poor driving. I'm fed up with people who exceed the speed limit and feel they have a right to break the law. I'm fed up with people who drive along with their mobile (cell) phones planted on the side of their head.

What really pisses me off is the willful ignorance that some drivers possess. I can think of very few skills other than driving that allow you to qualify in the use of a potentially lethal object and never have to recertify or to show your competence ever again. People get their licence then stop looking for information.

I'm fed up with people having the belief that they have the right to break the law - be it with seatbelts, speed or control of the vehicle (mobile phones anyone?). If you don't like getting points on your licence or being pulled over then don't break the damn law - it's not hard!
    The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it. Robert Peel

So glad I now live just round the corner from work and can walk in now, and no longer have to run the gauntlet of drivers who try to kill me on my motorbike. -.-

I do all I can to be seen. I have a brightly coloured crash helmet and I wear a reflector, yet there are still idiots who seem to have selective blindness where motorbikes are concerned.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Well, no one is a perfect driver. I notice a lot of people have a tendency to attribute every poor driving habit they see to the same guy. I'm sure someone has seen even the best drivers make a mistake, and think "That guy needs to learn how to drive!"

That being said, I've often wondered how people manage to get caught for such stupid shit. I don't always wear my seatbelt, but if I see a cop you know what I do? I PUT IT ON! It takes 2 seconds. Usually i have it on anyway, but sometimes I forget. Same as speeding. Yeah, sometimes I'll get up to 65 going down the 55 road, but if I see a cop, I immediately back off my speed and ya know what? He leaves me alone.

Seems like the people who get caught are the ones who not only flaunt their law breaking but then escalate it with poor attitudes.

Comment

It's raining here, today, so I'm sure I'll get to see more than my share of bad driving.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by crazylegs View Post
          I am fed up to the back teeth with poor driving. I'm fed up with people who exceed the speed limit and feel they have a right to break the law. I'm fed up with people who drive along with their mobile (cell) phones planted on the side of their head.

What really pisses me off is the willful ignorance that some drivers possess. I can think of very few skills other than driving that allow you to qualify in the use of a potentially lethal object and never have to recertify or to show your competence ever again. People get their licence then stop looking for information.

I'm fed up with people having the belief that they have the right to break the law - be it with seatbelts, speed or control of the vehicle (mobile phones anyone?). If you don't like getting points on your licence or being pulled over then don't break the damn law - it's not hard!
          try doing my job (a delivery driver) and you will see even MORE stupidity than you detailed above. throw in a blizzard, heavy downpour rain, fog, etc. and you will be amazed.
          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

I think I've seen more horrible driving since moving to South Korea than I had in all my years thus far, and that's saying a lot -.- Pedestrians really aren't safe anywhere. Motorbikes will fly down the sidewalks without thinking twice. Cars are also often seen driving and parking on sidewalks (not driving for long distances, usually, but still), and the drivers that I've seen don't seem to look at their surroundings at all, even though there are sure to be people walking since, y'know, they're driving on a farking sidewalk in the middle of a big city. And traffic lights? I think they're seen as more of a suggestion than anything, and a very loose, half-assed suggestion at that. I see people making left turns or going straight through red lights on a daily basis. People turn right on red without even looking around to see if anyone's coming (I have not seen any "No turn on red" signs here). The impatience is astounding (granted, I haven't been to very many really large cities in the states, so I can't compare the two). I'm seriously surprised I haven't seen any accidents yet, although there are close calls all the damn time. People I work with have asked me why I don't get a car, since used cars are ridiculously cheap here apparently. I bullshit around the answer, since it seems rude to tell them that their fellow countrymen and countrywomen as a whole can't drive for shit

Oh, and cops? I think in the little over a month that I've been here, I've seen maybe...two cop cars?

Which reminds me...ambulances aren't even guaranteed to make it through. I was at an intersection the other day waiting for the crosswalk signal to turn green, and an ambulance (with lights and siren on, mind you) slowly made its way through the traffic waiting at the light to get to the intersection. The light in the direction it was going was red. Once it reached the intersection, not a damn vehicle who had the green stopped and waited for the ambulance to go through. It had to sit and wait for the light to turn green just like everyone else! Made me really hope that I never need an ambulance here >.>

Comment

Working...
            X