Rebooting your life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebooting your life

Pretend a magical force has given you the option of restarting your life and being put back in your 5 year old body on the first day of school. Would you do it?

And second, you're given the option - fresh start, memories wiped, you're just a brand new you at 5. Or you can keep all your current knowledge at 5 and give yourself a major edge. But it will still be a little dull because you've done it all before.

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
    Pretend a magical force has given you the option of restarting your life and being put back in your 5 year old body on the first day of school. Would you do it?

And second, you're given the option - fresh start, memories wiped, you're just a brand new you at 5. Or you can keep all your current knowledge at 5 and give yourself a major edge. But it will still be a little dull because you've done it all before.
    um no my childhood is something I don't want to relive-EVER!
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Definitely. Be able to skip a lot of school and test out of a lot of it. And since I'd be young, I'd be able to learn a lot more advanced stuff at a faster rate at a time when it's easier to absorb information.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
        um no my childhood is something I don't want to relive-EVER!
        Why not? Something bad happen? So relive it and do it over. For instance, if an abusive father ruined your childhood, well, there's not much a 5 year old can really do about it, but a 5 year old with the brain of an adult could easily figure something out.

Comment

It also depends... would this mean going back in time, or being five years old in 2012?

I can't see any point in returning to the same five year old you were before, including being in the past and having no memory of what's to come. You wouldn't know you'd done it, and nothing would be different.

Knowing, though... there could be a lot of fun in that, but also a lot of tedium. And pain, and worry over whose lives you may make worse this time...

If it's starting over from today, what family do you get? Can I pick, and do they know?

Why do I over-think these things? I'll take five years old, beginning now, memories intact, raised by my brother 2 years younger than me and his wife so I keep the same family. And the family knows.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Have my mind thrown back into 5-year-old me? No thanks. I had enough problems being smarter than most of my peers as it was. And I'm not brilliant enough in any one area to really make it the distance I need to get away from what I already had.

That, and my family was never close enough to being above the poverty line to take advantage of what I know would be coming.

As for going back with no memory, what would be the point of that? You'd just end up back where you are because you'd be the same person you were then, and you'd make the same choices as a result.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

going back with no memory, no thanks. As others have pointed out, I would just be reliving that part of my life, and I dislike it.

Going back with my memory, perhaps. It would be very interesting, thats for sure.

Staying here now, being regressed to 5 years old but no memory? Erm, Ill pass, thanks. Kids are still assholes, and are now way more spoiled, which will hurt them in the long run, than they were 20 years ago.

Staying here with my memory intact but be 5 years old? Most probably yes.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                Why not? Something bad happen? So relive it and do it over. For instance, if an abusive father ruined your childhood, well, there's not much a 5 year old can really do about it, but a 5 year old with the brain of an adult could easily figure something out.
                no one believed me then or did anything about it-as it was I had to attempt suicide to get out of that situation, because, no. one. did. a. damned. thing.

I was a smart kid, I went to my teachers, nothing happened, I went to the police, nothing happened, the only thing I could do with an adult brain is suffer more. Not everyone's childhood is a disney movie, and not every abused child is "rescued" by the authorities, as hollywood would have you believe.
                Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

If I could be a 5 year old with my adult brain. I might. But then again, I am happy where I am now in life.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                    no one believed me then or did anything about it-as it was I had to attempt suicide to get out of that situation, because, no. one. did. a. damned. thing.

I was a smart kid, I went to my teachers, nothing happened, I went to the police, nothing happened, the only thing I could do with an adult brain is suffer more. Not everyone's childhood is a disney movie, and not every abused child is "rescued" by the authorities, as hollywood would have you believe.
                    How about in a different, healthier situation?
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I really have no incentive to go back to being 5 years old, with or without my memories, in the past or in the present. I am very happy where I am in my life now. I am married to a wonderful man whom I love and whom loves me; we are doing well financially, own our own house, don't have any debt (besides our mortgage); I am doing things that I enjoy very much, including volunteer work, making my art, enhancing my cooking skills, and still having time to enjoy with my husband and friends. My life is good now. I am very fortunate to be where I am, and I am the happiest I have ever been in my life.

My childhood was not abusive or even necessarily bad, but I have a lot more unpleasant memories than pleasant ones. I have no desire to relive that, even if things could be different. I am not particularly close to my family and would never want to live with them again, and I would be devastated to leave my husband, my cats, my home, and my current life to go back to my childhood home.

If I could live in my home (MY home, not my parents' home) with my husband (also as a child) and my cats, and we had a way to live ALONE together and support ourselves, then...maybe. But it would still mean giving up things like sex (at least for a while), seeing our adult friends, and having most of our freedom. I do not think it is worth it.

Comment

I don't want to re-do my childhood again, because even though I bitch a lot about my parents and how they raised me........if I did it all over again from scratch, I'd probably be a criminal or a sponge living off some guy like my two really co-dependent gold digger cousins, or like my lady redneck cousins who find guys who own their own businesses and are well off so they barely have to work or don't have to work.

Screw that. I win the bread around here.

Comment

Well I had originally planned it that you're sent back in time. I.e. I was born in 1980, so I'd suddenly be back in 1985 going to school. But I'm fully knowledgeable as I am now.

School would be boring at times, but also really easy. If you played any music, you could have fun with it depending on what era you were alive in. "write" a new song before the real one comes out lol.....

Comment

Yes. Oh god yes I would.

I made huge mistakes in how I handled various things and to this day I am still dealing with the ripple effects of my actions. If I could go back to age 5 with the memories of what I know now I would do so.

I also know it wouldn't be boring because I don't remember every instant of my childhood and knowing what I do now would make me a different person so I would make different choices so even if I could remember every single day from my first childhood the second one would be different.

Though if I had the choice I would go through my teen years in between 2000-2010 because most of the things that I was and am into became main stream for teens in those years.

EDIT: To clarify some of those ripples were about how things affected people that I care/d about and not just myself.
                            Last edited by jackfaire; 01-23-2012, 07:50 PM.
                            Jack Faire
                            Friend
                            Father
                            Smartass

Comment

I think it could be interesting. I know there are several areas in my life where I wish I could go back and make different choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X