Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Men ShouldBoycott Valentine's Day (This guy thinks they should, anyway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men ShouldBoycott Valentine's Day (This guy thinks they should, anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BWUxXzpSNk

Okay, I realize that, as I type this, it's about 9:00 pm on February 14 (in my part of the world, anyway), but I found this and thought it was funny.

Basically, the guy being interviewed in this video thinks men should boycott Valentine's Day. He says it's because men spend twice as much on Valentine's Day as women do. He also says it's forced charity.

The comments are way over the top..

I have always said that a special day to romance and make your special other feel special is a bit..crazy. Valentines is commercialized, and does seem like the majority of the financial aspect is on the guys. That part of it however, is actually a small part to me. Doing things 'just because', like leaving little love notes and a single flower, poems, breakfast in bed..etc should happen randomly through out the year. Not just on one single day. Doesn't even have to cost much..if any..a hand written note reminding your special other that you are thinking of them..etc.

Of course..then again..I am often told I put women on a pedestal..I'd like to think though that it is not only the guys who should do this. You know how thrilled I would be to get a small personal note from my special other?

So yes, I will do things for Valentines, though it will be personal things..I have absolutely no problem spending money on my special other..but gifts from the heart are worth infinitely more then some bauble, expensive flower arrangement, or such.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BWUxXzpSNk
      He says it's because men spend twice as much on Valentine's Day as women do.
      So it's a regular date then?

Comment

Always thought Japan had the right idea. On Valentine's day, the girls give the guys gifts. But then they have White Day, a month later, where the guys give the girls gifts. So each gender has its own day -.-

Comment

IIR They also have a first period celebration too, red and white gifts everywhere ...

Treating it as a seperate gender day might be preferable as I said in the other thread, most times it feels like it is a one way street and "womans 2nd birthday"

Comment

That's why we need to continue the push for March 14th, aka Steak and BJ Day
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Oh for pity's sake. If you're giving chocolates, flowers, steak, or blow jobs out of a since of obligation instead of because it's a nice thing to do, then there is a greater problem with your relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post

Oh for pity's sake. If you're giving chocolates, flowers, steak, or blow jobs out of a since of obligation instead of because it's a nice thing to do, then there is a greater problem with your relationship.
                QFT, QFE, and quoted simply because AdminAssistant is awesome

Hmm a bit long .. but may have to steal part of this for my signature. Again..celebrating Valentines day is fine..if it is due to OBLIGATION however .. then something is wrong somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                  Heh, I was going to say, does he suggest we protest Steak & BJ Day too!?
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

That's just a typical Saturday night 'round here.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                      He says it's because men spend twice as much on Valentine's Day as women do. He also says it's forced charity.
                      not saying i agree or disagre with valentine's day, but to put the "men spend twice as much money" in perspective. I do 90% of the cooking and cleaning, he has a desk job, I am on my feet doing physical labor(his salary is 2x what mine is), I feed the cats, clean the litterbox, and do the dishes, and I know many of my acquaintances have a similar distribution of chores, the male may spend more money(men do still earn more), but usually the female does more physical work.
                      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I know it's off-topic, and I *almost* hate to mention it, but it's just too funny to me that the disparities mentioned in this thread are, by some, presented as evidence that mixed-sex couples are best. That is: there's a standard default answer to who pays for dates, who does most of the housework, etc. is presented not only as better than working that out case by case, but so much better that it's a presentable reason for higher legal status.

Now please don't let this derail the thread, at least until it's run its course as-is.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                          Always thought Japan had the right idea. On Valentine's day, the girls give the guys gifts. But then they have White Day, a month later, where the guys give the girls gifts. So each gender has its own day -.-
                          South Koreans celebrate this way as well. I did a lesson about Valentine's Day for my grade 6s and they were surprised that in America it's traditionally the guys who buy the gifts for their women.

They also have a holiday called "Black Day" on April 14th, which is basically an informal holiday for singles. Those not in relationships will dress in black (painted nails and all) and will eat a dish called black noodles. It's supposed to be to celebrate being single for those who are, but I don't buy that since in this culture, if a person (especially a woman) is not married by the age of 30 or so, it is an embarrassment

Comment

Honestly, this guy (the one in the linked newscast) doesn't seem to like women very well. Seems to think everyone single one of them is a demanding shrew who expects a $200 tennis bracelet but gives nothing in return. Sure, there are some who are like that, but there are many who aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                              Is this a bad time to mention that that's also my birthday?

Comment

Working...
                              X