What would you do with super powers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do with super powers?

Could be any sort of power you want, I guess. Would you be a hero or a villain? Or just live out a super life?

I'd probably go for being as regular as I could, but seeming awesome. i.e. if I had like Wolverine or Spiderman powers, I'd probably be some sort of pro-athlete, of course I'd never let on that I was essentially playing with children. Depending on other powers I'd go for something else more appropriate.

I'd want any power I had to be limited specifically so it was only useful for improving my life (which would include helping immediate family and friends under certain circumstances, depending on the power in question) and having harmless fun. Because otherwise, I'd always feel guilty for not doing enough of value with them, no matter how much I did, and wind up either doing nothing and being all depressed over it or else come up with some scheme to "fix" the world and wind up ruining it.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

So, given the ability to have any power you wanted, you'd choose to cheat at sports.

As mentioned in the last super power thread, I'd go with communication. To be able to converse in, or at least understand, any sentient language would be amazing. It'd be so amazing, it'd be amazingly amazing.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

actually if you're born with the ability or develop it over time is it cheating? I mean it's not like he took super steroids or built a machine, it's a talent he has.

Comment

The comment "essentially playing with children" shows that it's not the level of a talent, but way beyond the norm of humanity.

Another power that I thing would be awesome would be the ability to consciously speed up the healing process. But as with HYHYBT, I'd likely get burned out trying to help as many people as possible.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I wish I could heal as fast as Wolverine. It would still suck to feel the pain, but I'd recover fast!

If I had Storm's power I would make little rainclouds follow the people I don't like and rain on them all the time. Petty, yes. Funny, also yes.

Comment

Yes, but if it is a natural gift, like super speed/strength/etc then it is not cheating. Else somebody like Michael Jordan in his prime would have been 'cheating'. Now if it is super smarts which makes you able to invent gadgets that can do things people can't..then it is cheating.

There are a ton of powers out there, and most I can really think of some good uses for. It would be hard to chose. Healing factor of course would be nice for me. Physically a wreck..so getting back to normal would be good. I actually think I would like to be like Jake 2.0 though. Forget if that is the name of the show, but I will explain it...

Jake was a geek/help desk person at the FBI. Gets caught in a nanobot experiment explosion..the nanobots rewire him. Enhanced Strength, Speed, endurance, healing, hearing, sight. But that is just part of it. He can wirelessly access any electronic device. Be it computer or what. Think about it. Any time/any where..can hop onto the internet without having to carry anything around with you. The nanobots weren't picked up by things like security scanners at airports or anything like that either. ((Even if they would have been, could access them, and make them not let out the buzz lol)).

Comment

Super speed like the Flash. I could be home from the office in minutes, never have to worry about my commute and lunch breaks I could eat really anywhere and take care of most errands with time to spare.

And clean my home in 10 minutes.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

lol that kind of reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend once over whether certain features in games were cheating or not...I always argued that if it's naturally in the coding of the game, with no outside influence from me, it is not cheating.

Anyone ever played KOTOR II? There's a character you can talk to, go through a conversation, and get like 2K xp. Then you can just talk to him again and again, getting 2K xp each time. Was it intended? Nope. Is it cheating? No. Cheating involves some sort of cheat on my part, such as hacking the game or typing in random phrases like SHOW ME THE MONEY or IDDQD or something.

Anyway, I didn't specifically mean I'd cheat at sports. I just meant...whatever lifestyle I chose, I would be awesome at it, but it'd be really easy for me. For someone with zero skills and low self-esteem, that would be extremely awesome.

Even if it was something silly like...say you have like jedi powers and you work at mcdonalds. Well first of all, EVERY customer would want a hot apple pie with that! Then you'd be able to make like 9 meals at once, just use the force to flip your burgers! And you'd rule at Mcdonalds. Soon you'd own the company!

/wave hand

"I am a wonderful employee. You feel I deserve a promotion."

Comment

I think I've changed my mind to mind reading. The ability to know what people are thinking would be extremely valuable.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

For the KoTOR question, using an exploit, something that was not intended to be a part of the game experience, is cheap and could be considered a bit pathetic, depending on the situation. If you use an exploit in a multi-player competition game, it's less acceptable.

Anyway, you'd think it would be awesome, but you'd likely find that it got old really quick. A life with no challenges isn't a life worth experiencing. It'd take a fairly shallow person to be able to be happy without adversity.

As for the other, I wouldn't go with mind reading. Or if I did, I would make damn certain it was under my control.

There's a character on the British show Misfits who gets mind reading, and it really sucks for her to hear what people really think about her. It doesn't help that she's a chav.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        I think I've changed my mind to mind reading. The ability to know what people are thinking would be extremely valuable.
                        And extremely dangerous because what they are thinking may not actually be what they are thinking.

You hear someone's surface thoughts like "This person is such a jerk" or such that sounds bad but isn't how they really feel about you.
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                          And extremely dangerous because what they are thinking may not actually be what they are thinking.

You hear someone's surface thoughts like "This person is such a jerk" or such that sounds bad but isn't how they really feel about you.
                          Except that's how they feel at the moment. It'd be totally worth it.
                          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I think the mind reading could really suck. Imagine having sex and the other person seems really into it and then you hear "My god I can't wait for this to be over, wtf is he even doing?"

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                              I think the mind reading could really suck. Imagine having sex and the other person seems really into it and then you hear "My god I can't wait for this to be over, wtf is he even doing?"
                              Eh, never had that problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X