Wedding Gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Gifts

I have some friends getting married and I am trying to think of a good wedding gift and I started wondering why does the gift have to be "for the lovely couple"

Seriously most of my friends are established in their own homes with their own stuff and it's not like back in the day when you went from living in your parents house to living together and the gifts helped you get your start.

Can't I just get them cool gifts that they would love and not worry if the gifts are something they both can use if they each get something from me that they like?

Thoughts?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Give 'em cash. Seriously. If nobody gets us anything but money for our wedding, I'll cry with happiness, because we can't pay rent in toasters.

ETA: If they're well off financially, then of course, whatever gift is fine. It doesn't have to be practical or 'for the home.'
    Last edited by AdminAssistant; 03-07-2012, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Traditionally, wedding gifts are to celebrate the couple's union, so that's why they're usually something for both of them or matching his and hers something.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Dang. Two topics in a row I open, only to find my potential post reduced to "what Andara said."

There's symbolism in wedding gifts. I'd think you could expand a bit from "matching his and hers," but if the gifts are separate, it seems right that they ought to be of a similar nature.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I thought of getting them sonic screwdrivers him the doctor's and hers River Song's but she isn't a Dr. Who fan.

Now I am back to the drawing board.

Money isn't tacky?
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

I refuse to upgrade my families stuff, specially when this is their third home together and second marriage for both. I'm giving them 50 bucks. And if I hear anything of me giving 100 to another cousin I'll take the 50 back. I'm sick of the gimmie grab that some couples do with the registries.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
              Money isn't tacky?
              It all depends on the couple and their opinions, of course, but I would say that money is not tacky. Out of all the gifts my husband and I received for our wedding, only 1 was something other than money, and we were ELATED! Granted, we didn't have a wedding registry really, either, so people had nothing to go by. We actually did make a registry, but it was more for the fun of it and we scanned a bunch of things we wanted but that we would never in a million years actually ask any of our friends or family to buy for us. So we didn't include any mention of the registry to anyone. However, I worked at the Bullseye, and my cousin must have searched for us and found it, because she got us the rice cooker we wanted

Anyhoo, I think many couples would love to receive money as a gift, because then they can buy whatever they want or need. Like Admin said, rent can't be paid in toasters. But there's only so much in the way of opinions that we can give, as you know the couple and we don't.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                Money isn't tacky?
                The couple asking for money would be considered tacky, but giving money isn't. Fiance and I are in that predicament because we have most of the basic things we need. It would be nice to update the cookware and get a new comforter, and we'll make a registry for those things. But, between the moving, and the fact that I'm about to be unemployed and only able to work part-time....yeah.

Comment

My friends haven't even asked for gifts I don't think they are registered anywhere. It's even a small backyard wedding my best friend is one of the grooms men and I am one of the guests. *smirks* We are a circle of friends that get caught up in our own shit and go months without talking to each other.

Busy lives, jobs, kids, etc thank god for Facebook.

Problem is I am more friends of the groom than I am the bride but I don't' know what either of them are really into right now.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

Asking for money is tacky.

My cousin asked that for her bridal shower, no gifts except money be given, to help with funding her honeymoon out of the country.

Comment

Do they like to play board games? We revceivev several board games as wedding gifts and loved it.

Comment

This is reminding me of a short passage out of a book when I was a kid. Basically, the kids want to get their teacher a wedding present, so they're discussing it out in the schoolyard.

Apparently someone's cousin got sixteen toasters at a wedding. And four blenders.

Comment

For their wedding in 2001, my brother and his wife got enough crock pots to fill the floor and bottom shelf of their pantry.

On the bright side, I don't believe they've yet had to buy one...
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

That's the kind of crap I'm really worried about. Fiance and I are BROKE. Please, for the love of all that's holy, send us money or gift cards. I have a crock pot.

Comment

Gift vouchers would be a good gift, if you don't want to give actual money. I don't know what the American equivilent is, but over here we have a store called Argos where you can buy everything from furniture to electrical goods to toys to watches to sports equipment. My older brother and his wife got £50 worth of Argos vouchers from Mum and Dad and they were delighted.
                              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                              X