Save Derpy Hooves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save Derpy Hooves!

Now, I'm not as huge a brony as some of the guys of another forum I frequent. But sometimes, I like to get my pony on. And this really just pissed me off. There's a pony called Derpy Hooves. She's a really goofy pony. Her eyes are a little off. And a lot of bronies like her, even though she was never really a major character. Finally, as a nod towards the bronies, they gave Derpy some lines in a recent episode (http://youtu.be/hC2EMUuQmTY).

Some soccer moms freaked out and sent letters to Hasbro demanding that they change Derpy because she's offensive and it's not funny to make fun of people with mental disabilities. As a result, they changed Derpy's name and appearance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2CRjPO73Dg).

Naturally, this has caused much outraged from bronies everywhere. One lesson we learn from the show is to love and accept everybody for who they are. And what is wrong with these people who complained? Being clumsy and goofy does not make someone "retarded", nor does having eyes that aren't perfect. And even if Derpy had a mental disability, why do these parents feel the need to not be okay with who Derpy is and have to change her to make her "normal"? And where were these parents for shows like Sponge Bob Square Pants (Patrick) or Ed, Edd, and Eddie (Ed)? Don't see anyone complaining about those characters and Patrick is a pretty popular character.

The intolerant jerks win again.

Save Derpy Hooves!
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

As I recall from the outrage spiel I've seen, her eyes being screwed up was originally an animation error that the bronies noticed. They started calling her Derpy, the writers started giving shout outs to bronies by hiding her in the background as an easter egg. She finally got a speaking part, and they even named her Derpy per the bronies. Then Hasbro freaked out because...something. I don't know, I've never watched the show but I found it kind of funny they actually managed to get Derpy turned into a character. Shows from real appreciation from the creators to their fanbase.

Not sure I really understand this though. The Clumsy Dipshit character is an archtype in practically every cartoon and there are tons of other kids shows with characters that are stupid on a level far beyond Derpy here. Retconning her normal is definately odd. If your concern was seriously the message that the show was sending, then your approach *in* the show should be to accept the character for what she is and put a positive spin on her. Not retcon her and pretend imperfect people don't exist in your happy world. >.>

Change it from "Derpy fucks stuff up" to "Sure, Derpy fucks some stuff up, but holy shit she makes awesome cake" or something.

Frankly, I think part of the problem, weirdly, might be a kind of sexism. The voice actor thought Derpy was suppose to be a male character when she was doing the lines. Male characters are allowed to act like fucking idiots in cartoons. Female characters aren't typically allowed to be stupid in the same manner as male characters. They can be ditzy or clumsy, but not destructively or functionally stupid.

Stimpy can be so god damn stupid he can't even form proper sentences and thats funny. But god forbid a girl pony be incompetent. -.-

Comment

In the last episode, I saw Derpy back with googly eyes in the crowd at Iron Will's demo. Just a glimpse, but she was there. So what now? O.o
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

She also had the typical easter egg style cameo in A Friend in Deed.

If you didn't spot her, she's in the snow globe.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I never saw that! Must go back and watch!

Comment

Thank God they brought Derpy back. I'm just mad that they gave in so quickly to those intolerant people who complained.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Interesting link here: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/0...-to-derpy.html

Comment

Working...
              X