Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging Fathers Increase Likelihood of Autism in Children

Article at Ars Technica

The title isn't the whole story, of course.

Three separate reports on autism and genetics have been published, with all three pointing to a number of specific genetic differences that result in autism. Many of these are similar to those found in those suffering for mental disorders and were to be expected. There are also a estimated to be quite a large number and wide range of genes that play a role, with looses estimates of over 100 (approximately 4%) of our genes having some effect.

One of the things that was found was the spontaneous mutation was more common in children of older fathers, and thus, as men live longer and become parents later in life, the likelihood that their children will be affected by autism increases. There is no comment regarding older mothers, so it's possible that age of motherhood might not contribute to this particular condition.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

That's interesting.

I did some light research once, while trying to find the root cause (or what people say is) of people with passive aggressive personality disorder, but somehow got sidetracked, and linked to a site that said that older sperm can play a role in babies born with disabilities.

Older sperm meaning the guy hasn't ejaculated in quite a while, this site was encouraging anyone actively trying to get pregnant to use only fresh sperm.

Comment

Due to the way it seems to spontaneously occur, I can't help but wonder if epigenetics is a factor. Since its rapidly being discovered as a factor in a ton of other things.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
        Older sperm meaning the guy hasn't ejaculated in quite a while, this site was encouraging anyone actively trying to get pregnant to use only fresh sperm.
        Would make sense to me. I can't imagine their lives being too long and they have to degrade over time.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post

For some reason, that made me think of a guy ejaculating in cups and then labelling them: "Use by <date>"
          After that, it turns into a commercial:

"If you want a quality baby, look for Sex-O-Matic Clinics. We use only the freshest sperm to ensure that your baby is born perfectly healthy in every way. Sex-O-Matic clinic, located on the corner of Harlot Lane and Wench Boulevard"

>.>

<.<

Whaaaaaat?

Comment

The use by comment made me laugh loudly at work, thanks as they want to know whats so funny. It does seem a lot of research is going into this to find causes, but honestly it is starting to feel that Autism is becoming this generations ADHD where it seems that almost anything will be listed as a cause for it.

Comment

Working...
            X