I blame sitcoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I blame sitcoms

We always wonder where the entitlement and stupidity came from. Personally I blame sitcoms.

In sitcoms you can:
    - quit your job and magically get a new one
    - go for months without a job and not have any real financial problems
    - assault people and not go to jail
    - steal stuff from people and not go to jail
    - apologies fake or real fix everything
    - treat people like garbage and get forgiven every time
    - do whatever you want with 0 consequences

and what have people grown up watching a lot of?
    the list is longer than this and I'm sure you guys'll add some.

Like in Seinfeld where Kramer almost never had a job yet still managed to pay for his apartment and all the other stuff he did.

Heck, even though Jerry had something of a job, he really didn't work that much. Every now and then he would do a comedy routine somewhere, and evidently that managed to give him all the cash he needed.

Comment

at least George and Elaine had jobs at points.
      -swear at and flip off your boss and not get fired.
      Last edited by gremcint; 04-16-2012, 03:55 AM.

Comment

I can't really think of a lot of family geared sitcoms where people really got away with stuff. There was always some kind of "message" or "lesson" learned on Family Matters, Boy Meets World, Full House, etc etc.

Comment

I remember urkel destroying numerous things things at the school and they were magically fixed the next day. Not to mention them cheating on tests and not getting in any real trouble. Not to mention he basically stalked laura

I don't really remember full house or boy meets world.
          Last edited by gremcint; 04-16-2012, 04:26 AM.

Comment

You have to draw the line somewhere. Urkel was an epitome of clumsy/careless idiocy. Anyone who would pull something like that and say it was ok because Urkel did it, should be slapped.

Most family sitcoms were a little more realistic than having a dorky neighbor who destroyed rooms and houses. I agree it was a little too convenient and errored on the side of continuity that everything was always fixed so quickly after he destroyed it, but then again, that was also probably part of the "charm" of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
              In sitcoms you can:
              - quit your job and magically get a new one
              - go for months without a job and not have any real financial problems
              - assault people and not go to jail
              - steal stuff from people and not go to jail.
              This isn't a sitcom. This is reality for rich white men.

Comment

I have to agree actually. I watched a LOOOOOT of sitcoms as a kid and I think they contributed to my social awkwardness.

I grew up believing that women are cold, bitchy things that you have to tread lightly around. And they HATE sex. Except for the slutty one.

Comment

Working...
                X