Posting Styles on CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting Styles on CS

Now, let me preface this by saying: I have no problem with any of the following examples I list. I bring this topic up mostly because I find it interesting.

It's funny to observe trends and styles of posting on CS. Right now the "posting a long story in parts" seems to be a growing trend. Before this, the most noticeable one was the GK-style of posting. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, but they're always started by a more popular/followed member of the community, and then emulated by the general populace of the board.

I guess I point it out only because it's strange how trends that we tend to think of on a larger scale (pop music, fashion trends) recreate themselves on a smaller level.

I've been noticing that for years.

Someone will start posting in a certain style, and if their stories become popular, we suddenly have every second post in the same style.

It's a bit annoying because it would be nice to see some originality. (It's rather ironic to see all the copycat posting styles, because the style they're imitating caught people's attention usually because it was so original. )

I guess we can just chalk it up to imitation being a sincere form of flattery.
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I don't mind if it's more readable - I think style is a good portion of communication. GK's style is distinctive and much imitated, but it's very, very accessible. I'd say it's an improvement, though your mileage may vary.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Oh, I agree that there are some styles that make some posts a lot easier to read. You're right, GK's style is very accessible, because it destroys the WALL O' TEXT that a lot of people seem to adopt. But there are a lot of other, less functional, styles that only work for the OP, because it seems to flow naturally from them... And when other people jump into it, it's either forced and funny at best, or illegible at worst.

Comment

My threads are usually short; I can't always remember exactly what the customer said back to me, unless they were unusually rude, so I put down the gist of what they said rather than in a play format.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

When I was a new member, I experimented a bit. One of my first posts I remember was an ongoing log of a particularly crazy SC as it was happening. I also remember a post in letter format. I've finally settled on a mix between narrative and dialogue. When multiple stories happen in a short amount of time, I adapt GK's style but that's rare that I do that anymore.

Just recently I read a story as if told from the POV from the SC. It was entertaining, though I hope it stays with just that OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
              I don't mind if it's more readable - I think style is a good portion of communication. GK's style is distinctive and much imitated, but it's very, very accessible. I'd say it's an improvement, though your mileage may vary.
              I never really thought of that. I originally did it because I like to keep my writing organized and easy to read ( Because WALL OF TEXT ). But it sort of became a bit of a standard didn't it? ><

Is this a bad time to admit that I roll my eyes and groan whenever I see a thread that begins with "Wherein" these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                Is this a bad time to admit that I roll my eyes and groan whenever I see a thread that begins with "Wherein" these days?
                I've always blamed this on Acts of Gord.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
                  Right now the "posting a long story in parts" seems to be a growing trend.
                  Some might be too wordy per post and the OP is taking a finger breather before resuming, but the posts between 'bitching' about there being a part two or even three and above seemed on one thread I read ages ago, to be the predominant posts, Hell I read the escaping dildo thread which was wordy (but not in a wall o text way) and can see how it deserved it's own thread not a post in an established thread.

But all but two posts in the thread that referenced it were about the lack of that story, not what was presented in it.

Same as it was rather sad that it took to nearly post 60 or above for anyone to actually quote or even refer to GK's last hurrar thread.
                  I ummed and erred about typing about it in the thread started over here a week or so before the outcome, but although it was a leaving thread as well, it would have been better splitting the two as tbh given the outcome, he could have posted a year old montage and I don't think anyone read past the "This will be my last post" paragraph.

So sometimes things have to be multi part due to them being on going, or if they are too wordy per post, do you think perchance their hands mgiht need cooling down.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post

You too?
                    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Working...
                    X