Computer DIY Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer DIY Woes

Andara and I were highly anticipating the Diablo 3 launch - so much so, that she decided she needed a new video card for her system (She actually did - there was something wrong with the way her card's family processed D3's graphics, well-documented on the Blizzard forums, and the cards are old enough that it wasn't worth Blizzard's time to fix it). So while she was getting her video card, I decided to do a minor upgrade of my own. Tropico 4 had a nasty habit of overheating my CPU and freezing my system. So I picked up a CPU that was in the same family as my old one, but a bit faster (somewhere on the order of twice as fast).

On Monday, I went to the Diablo 3 launch party, had some fun, had some dinner, didn't win the custom PCs, but did go home with some swag and a shiny-new massively-autographed Collector's Edition.

On Tuesday, our hardware order arrived. We got home, and quickly got busy on tearing apart our systems. I got done first, but the system wouldn't boot. The drive lights came on, fans came on, but nothing else happened. It didn't even make it to POST. After puzzling over this for a bit while Andara replaced her video card, I figured out the problem - the BIOS on the motherboard was 3 years old, while this particular CPU is only about 2 years old. I needed to update the BIOS. Which is incredibly difficult to do when the system won't even POST. And while I'm trying to puzzle out this dilemma, Andara is happily chugging away on installing Diablo 3.

The next morning, I spent an hour or so trying to find some sort of workaround that I could do with the parts on hand. The old CPU wasn't going back in - it had bent pins, and I have no confidence in my ability to straighten them. Finally, I gave up, and ordered a new motherboard/CPU combo from Newegg, and set it for Will Call at their local office. After work, I headed over, picked up the parts, and went home. I pulled out all of the cards, demounted the motherboard, and put in the new one. Plugging in all the connections that a system needs takes a while! =0_o=

So finally, I get to the point of plugging in memory. I size up the memory slot, taking note of where the notch is, and go to put my old memory in. The notch doesn't line up, so I turn the memory stick around... and the notch still doesn't line up! And then it hits me - I forgot to check for memory compatibility. The old system used 182-pin DDR2 memory, the new one uses 240-pin DDR3 memory.

So we order some new memory from Newegg, and set it for Will Call again. I fall asleep absurdly early, and sleep straight through to the next morning.

Thursday comes, and I'm ready to go get my parts. The parts show as being in Packaging, and I figure that I should be able to go get them on my lunch break (taking an extra-long lunch break with management approval). The mobo/cpu and other parts that I ordered at the same time were ready by 12:30, so a pair of memory sticks should be faster, right?

Well... yes and no. I arrive at the Newegg will call center at 1 PM, and my memory isn't there. In fact, I get there just in time to witness the site manager flipping his lid over the fact that the delivery truck that brings parts from the warehouse to the Will Call office is broken down... in Downtown.

So I have a seat, preparing to cool my heels for an hour or so. But it turns out that the dispatcher was on the ball, and had a replacement truck rolling immediately. At the point that the Will Call manager was flipping out, they were already transferring the racks of product from one truck to another, and getting it back on the road. It arrived only 10 minutes later, and I headed back to my office.

We get home, I plug in the new memory, get everything all connected and triple-check all of the connections (take it from me, there's nothing more frustrating than forgetting to hook up the Power switch!), and declare it to be ready for the Smoke test. The system powers on... and nothing happens for long enough for Andara to start thinking that something else is wrong. And then the BIOS screen finally pops up, and my system is running. But Windows isn't launching properly - it gets partway through the boot, and then freezes. So I use my phone to surf for a potential solution, and quickly hit on what turns out to be the right answer: There's a setting in BIOS called Legacy USB Support that is on by default. Turning it off got my system all the way through boot, and my system came up and ready to go. Windows 7 being what it is, it started quietly installing drivers for the new hardware while I'm fumbling with the driver disc. I install a few drivers from the disc, but can't find the driver for the mobo itself and its peripherals - there should be drivers for those, right? RIGHT?

Well, no, it seems that those are integral drivers in Win7 now. No need to have the manufacturer's disc for those. My system prompts a reboot out of the blue, and since I'm done with the few minor drivers that were on the disc, I agree. And it reboots... into my glorious system, exactly how I had it on Monday night. I dink around for about 20 minutes, making sure that everything works ("There's no sound!" "Turn up the volume, doofus."), and finally get into Diablo 3. Three days after launch, when I had a copy in my hands only three hours after the midnight launch.

So, I have to give massive props to the Microsoft Windows team. Under XP or older versions of Windows, the surgery that I did on my system would have required a clean install of the OS. And Win7 just chugs along, makes the necessary changes, and nags me to authenticate once more.

So how was your week?

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post

So how was your week?
    I refuse on general principles to buy a game that requires a constant connection to play in single player mode, but several of my friends at work bought D3.

With all the problems Blizzard had with their servers, they weren't playing the game until days later either, so you may not have missed much.

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
      I refuse on general principles to buy a game that requires a constant connection to play in single player mode, but several of my friends at work bought D3.

With all the problems Blizzard had with their servers, they weren't playing the game until days later either, so you may not have missed much.
      Sure, but I wasn't able to do anything else, either. Posting on forums with the phone is clunky, at best, and gaming... well, it's good when you're in line at Disneyland, or something like that, but not so good for filling 4+ hours at once.

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
        Well, that depends on where you were. Some areas were less problematical than others. Plus, the first few days are going to have a lot of downtime for emergency patches and random lag for hotfixes going live, which should be a known issue by now.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ah the fun of system upgrades. Don't ya just love them?

And I have a copy of D3 sitting on my account that will probably do nothing more than sit there. Never been a fan of the series and don't see that changing.

Hey, it never cost me anything. (got mine through WoW's Annual Pass)

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            Well, that depends on where you were. Some areas were less problematical than others.
            Like, the entire US server farm being down for emergency maintenance? On the day of the release?

Plus, the first few days are going to have a lot of downtime for emergency patches and random lag for hotfixes going live, which should be a known issue by now.

^-.-^
            I'm sorry. You appear to have swallowed the little red pill.

If I buy something, I expect it to work. Call me old-fashioned...

Blizzard have had 12 freaking years to get D3 right, and after millions spent on marketing, they can't even have enough servers available? Beta weekends and stress testing are not unknown concepts - there should be no major issue that takes entire banks of servers down.

They know how many copies they sold. If the servers cannot handle that many, then they have effectively oversold a show and deserve condemnation for it.

Comment

With all due respect, keep the Blizzard/Diablo 3 hate to a Diablo 3-specific thread.

Comment

I recently fit my entire computer into this. To say there isn't a lot of room inside is an understatement.

The only part I changed was going from an ATX to an mATX motherboard. Putting it together was like trying to solve some sort of cursed puzzle box.

Comment

I used to have a breadbox system. The portability and attractiveness of the case just didn't make up for the tendency to run hotter and the fact that, as mentioned, it's like working a 3D puzzle getting everything inside. I'm fortunate in that mine at least had a sliding tray for the motherboard, so that you didn't have to try to fit your hands entirely inside the frame to get the components seated. But the PSU that came with it had irritatingly short wires, so you couldn't actually hook anything up without sliding the tray at least partway back in.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    I used to have a breadbox system. The portability and attractiveness of the case just didn't make up for the tendency to run hotter and the fact that, as mentioned, it's like working a 3D puzzle getting everything inside. I'm fortunate in that mine at least had a sliding tray for the motherboard, so that you didn't have to try to fit your hands entirely inside the frame to get the components seated. But the PSU that came with it had irritatingly short wires, so you couldn't actually hook anything up without sliding the tray at least partway back in.
                    Yes, this one is a sliding tray motherboard ( thank christ ) and I'm using a modular PSU. I don't think you'd get a regular one into it. I avoided cube cases that came with their own PSU's or relied on passive cooling.

Oddly, it runs a few degrees warmer idle, but my load temps didn't go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      I recently fit my entire computer into this. To say there isn't a lot of room inside is an understatement.

The only part I changed was going from an ATX to an mATX motherboard. Putting it together was like trying to solve some sort of cursed puzzle box.
                      Add a handle to that, and it'd be perfect!

Comment

Add a handle to that, and it'd be perfect!
                        Yeah, would be nice if it had one. Though I don't have too much reason to move it and when I do its basically the size of my cat and not much heavier. I switched to it more for the lesser weight and increased desk space. I was using a special edition white Corsair 600T before and its huge. Pretty, but huge.

Comment

Mobility is important to us, since we take our computers with us to conventions at least three times a year. And yet, neither of our current systems has a handle (and mine is still a Mid Tower!)

Comment

Mobility is important to us, since we take our computers with us to conventions at least three times a year. And yet, neither of our current systems has a handle (and mine is still a Mid Tower!)
                            Ahhhh...i've looked a few with handles but they're always remarkably stupid looking ( In an attempt to appeal to "l33t gamerz" ) or they weigh so much the handle is sort of pointless anyhow. >.>

For me its mostly the case weight I'm concerned with, but its really hard to shop for cases by weight.

Comment

Damn I've had amazing luck with these new games. I have an old shitty wal-mart special that's like three years old. Always played WoW fine, and when SWTOR came out I just had to buy a 50 dollar bottom shelf video card and it ran awesomely. Same with D3. Get the big warning message that's like "Your system might not meet our requirements!" But it runs great.

Comment

Working...
                              X