Berserk Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berserk Buttons

Okay, we all have our things we hate, but what about things which actually make us furious? And by furious I mean unstoppable rage furious.

There are a few things which make me live up to my name on here.

1. Losing things, particularly my wallet drives me bonkers. Especially when I had it in my hand one minute ago, but all of a sudden I can't find it. I really go balistic when it's not in all the normal places I keep it. By the time I find it, it's almost always in a place where I just needed to move my head and I would have found it. Because I get so balistic, I don't think as rationally so I am more likely to overlook finding the very thing I'm looking for (talk about a paradox!)

2. Long red lights. Waiting in general pisses me off, but there is something about being held hostage by a traffic light that doesn't sit well with me. Lights around here can take up to 2 minutes and when you're stopped at one every half mile, that time adds up quick.

There are a few others, but those are the ones which come to mind.

I'm a software engineer. Sometimes a bug will come around that, looking at the code, simply shouldn't be possible. After studying the code looking for where this lapse in logic could possibly occur and finding nothing for over an hour, I start to lose it. I seriously had a laptop hard drive that didn't survive my wrath, and since then I've learned to only pound on the desk no matter how angry I get.

These kinds of things don't happen too often for me, though. Bugs are rarely that frustrating, but each time I encounter one that truly hits the button I feel like my lifespan decreases by a year or two.

Comment

I have almost no berserk buttons; most stuff in life is just too petty to get my blood pressure up over.

The one thing that will do it every single time, however is someone calling me a liar.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

You should probably be more truthful, then (and I realize there isn't a smilie in the world big enough for that.)

Similar to that... one thing that makes me livid is... well, I can't quite explain it, but I can give an example. The guy who brought back his fish sandwich and chose a very busy lunch rush, not just to have it remade which wouldn't have been a big deal, but to give a lecture on how every time he goes to any location they put more tartar sauce on than he wants and we need to make the fish sandwiches with less. (That's not the button-pressing moment, yet.) I explained, sweet as pie, that about as many people want extra sauce as want less, and that we'd be happy to make his with light sauce if he'd let us know when ordering, he said "no, then you'd get mad and spit in it."

In general, it's not a specific thing that would set me off, but more of a "last straw" thing.

Having said that, it's probably a good thing nobody's tried the "gay = pedophile" lie to my face.

(And, of course, unlike Andara, anyone who says THAT has no room to be offended at being called merely a liar.)
        Last edited by HYHYBT; 08-05-2012, 03:08 AM.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Sexism.

I've worked in customer service for a while now, so I have a pretty big tolerance for inanity or bullshit from customers. I've been called a lot of names and have had a lot of insults hurled at me, and I can usually deal with the situation with a smile.

But when you insist on talking to a man, even though I am a manager in my department (I sell TVs and all related AV systems), I instantly see red. They would not have made me management if I was inept. I know what I am talking about, and yet you're dismissing me based on my gender? Nope, get out of my store. No one here will help you and I won't let them.

It takes a lot to get me that mad, but that is my one berserk button.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
            I'm a software engineer. Sometimes a bug will come around that, looking at the code, simply shouldn't be possible. After studying the code looking for where this lapse in logic could possibly occur and finding nothing for over an hour, I start to lose it. I seriously had a laptop hard drive that didn't survive my wrath, and since then I've learned to only pound on the desk no matter how angry I get.

These kinds of things don't happen too often for me, though. Bugs are rarely that frustrating, but each time I encounter one that truly hits the button I feel like my lifespan decreases by a year or two.
            programming is sometimes like jenga, you don't quite know how the hell you pulled it off but it's working now leave it alone before the whole thing topples over.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
              programming is sometimes like jenga, you don't quite know how the hell you pulled it off but it's working now leave it alone before the whole thing topples over.
              That's very true. I've come across code that is absolutely awful (bear in mind, I can't always fault the author for this; sometimes it's simply because we were given tight deadlines that prevented us from doing it totally the "right" way) and I've made the application unstable by "fixing" it. It could take a lot of extra time to refactor poor code and adapt all of its dependencies. That extra time is a luxury we rarely have.

Comment

When I get something to the way that it is suppose to be, and I have to try something else and break it. Pisses me off every time.

When I am talking and getting interrupted. That pisses me off the most. It is okay if you do it the first time, but when you keep on.

Being told that I am not true. I am a Ghost hunter, I am not going to lie about anything. If I find nothing, I found nothing. If you ask for help and I help to the best of my ability, don't turn around and tell me that I am not real. That really pisses me off.

Comment

I tend to be a very reactive person overall, but my only real berserk button that has consistently made me drop all pretense and vocal bluster has been anyone deliberately insulting my dad.

90% of the time, the deathglare is enough to force them to backpedal. The other 10% of the time, they start running before I can grab them and try to crush them like a puny grape.

Comment

While i do get the occasional (maybe more frequent than that) case of road rage, my rage comes from men hitting women. I can't stand it. It doesn't matter if the woman is a body builder or a black belt, and the guy is 98 pounds soaking wet, it makes me sick. Back when I was bartending, a woman came in one day with a nasty black eye. I seriously felt nauseous.
                    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Don't steal my hat.

>_<

tell me that I am not real. That really pisses me off.
                      O_O Unless...

You ARE the Ghost!
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

*absconds with HD's hat and flees the thread*

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                          *absconds with HD's hat and flees the thread*

^-.-^
                          NOOOOOOOO!

*puts on emergency hat and pursues*

:3

In all seriousness, though, I know there are other ones that bother me, I just can't think of any at the moment.
                          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Brain breaking stupidity.

Religous bigotry disguised as protecting the children.

Religous dogma disguised as science.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                              While i do get the occasional (maybe more frequent than that) case of road rage, my rage comes from men hitting women. I can't stand it. It doesn't matter if the woman is a body builder or a black belt, and the guy is 98 pounds soaking wet, it makes me sick. Back when I was bartending, a woman came in one day with a nasty black eye. I seriously felt nauseous.
                              I understand I will defend myself against either gender equally but there's no reason for abuse and when I read this:

] On July 7, 2012, a Flash game was uploaded to Newgrounds titled Beat Up Anita Sarkeesian, [24] which allowed users to click on a picture of Sarkeesian to simulating hitting her, causing the picture to become increasingly bruised; [25] the game was taken down after a single day.
                              I felt physically ill. this is from the wikipedia article about her.

Comment

Working...
                              X