Rules light Homebrew system for Tabletop RPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules light Homebrew system for Tabletop RPG

Hey I know there are some people here who like RPGs, and if anyone has time to spare I would like to ask to take give some feedback for my homebrew system.

This is my attempt at a simple, rules light, RPG tabletop system to be used as a playtest to my homebrew setting that will be used on Computer RPG I am doing. I want to get a few opinions on it, mainly if the rules are clear (they are to me, but I made them), as well as suggestions about what else needs to be answered before starting a PbP or tabletop campaign. Time permitting; I also intend to provide a character creator via the Unity web player.

I wanted a simple but flexible system. It should be point based, a lot is propositally left to the GM’s discretion, but what there IS should give a solid base.

It is important that the combat remained dangerous for a fair bit of while, so it shouldn´t be entered lightly even by higher level characters, this means the system is not designed for simple dungeon crawls, but keeps combat from being boring or dragging too long.

For now this is just the basics, later if I think this is clear enough I will expand with rules for magic, and a list of skills, pros, and cons.

Character creation is done through a point buy system (which can be adjusted according to the campaign’s power level), the points are used in the following categories:

Attributes: define the general characteristics intrinsic to the character. All characters have this attributes.

Strength (STR)
    Constitution (CON)
    Agility (AGI)
    Dexterity (DEX)
    Intelligence (INT)
    Will Power (WIL)
    Perception (PER)
    Charisma (CHAR)

Most attributes are pretty auto-explicative. The difference between agility and Dexterity is that one determines How good the character is with large movements (e.g.: running, jumping) and how quick his reflexes are, and the other How good the character is with fine precise movements (e.g. Drawing, lock picking).

Hit points are calculated by: HP=3*CON+ (STR)

The average number may be adjusted according to the power level of the campaign. A supers campaign for example could use STR 1, equals the strength of a weightlifter.

In a more realistic campaign, an average number for Attributes would be 4, with each player having 40 points for character creation. This means an average human would have 16 HP. This is the power level I will use as default.

Skills: defines the character’s proficiencies (e.g. Medicine, Smithing, Weapon proficiencies, etc...). A character’s weapon proficiency in defense and in Attack are separate Skills, shown separated by a “/” (e.g.: Sword 3/0, Dagger 0/2).

1 Character point buys one rank in a skill.

PCs are encouraged to create custom skills if they want one not covered by the default list(Subjected to DM's approval).

Some default suggestion skills:

Combat skills: used for fighting: Unarmed Longswords, short sword, dagger, greatsword. Axes, small axes, GreatAxes, Polearms, Bows, Crossboes, etc…

First aid, useful for emergency, or simple treatments

Medicine, used for diagnostics, surgery and more serious treatments.

Survival, allows character to feed yourself, in wild environments.

Stealth: Allows character to sneak around and hide.

Camouflage: Allows the character to craft camouflage to avoid detection.

Apothecary: Allows the character to craft various remedies, drugs and poisons.

Smithing: Allows the character to craft metal items

Animal Handling: Allows taming and training of animals.

Climbing: Allows the character to climb vertical surfaces.

Performance Skills: Acting, dancing, Violin, Mandolin, flute, etc…

Pros and Cons.
    “Pros” cost points and give you some advantage. “Cons”, give you more points to spend but give some disadvantage (e.g: "Status" raises your social status per point spent, Honor code: ”Heroes” gives you 2 extra points to spend, but prevents you from ignoring a call for help).

There are no levels, only points. Enough experience and you get a new point to spend.

Tests are based on the d10 and test an attribute and proficiency as needed. (e.g.: a character who wants to make a diagnostic and has PER 5, and 2 ranks in medicine, he a rolls a d10 and must roll equal or lower than 7 to succeed) 10 is ALWAYS a critical failure, and 1 is a critical hit. Tests may have bonuses or penalties according as appropriate to the situation by GM’s Discretion.

Opposed tests are based on 5 + the player’s relevant number - the opponent’s (e.g.: A player wants to arm wrestle against an NPC, he has strength 6 and the NPC has strength 7, he must roll a 4 or lower (5+6-7).

Combat:

When combat starts character rolls 1d10+AGI for initiative. The turn order goes from highest to lowest initiative, in a tie, both characters reroll.

To attack, a Character must succeed in a opposed text of his appropriate Attribute and skill versus the opponents attribute and skill, normally this means Agility and Weapon skill for Melee weapons, and Dexterity and Weapon skill for ranged weapons.

Damage is based on a character’s weapon damage (expressed in dice)+ Strength and skill bonus - Opponents damage reduction which is based on the opponent’s armor + his appropriate skill bonus.(e.g.: Character with a short sword(d8) and STR 6 hits an opponent wearing leather armor(DR:2)with Dagger 0/2, He rolls a seven, so he causes 7+6+3-2-2= 12 points of damage), Critical Hits ignore all of the target’s damage reduction, sneak attacks, ignore the targets skill but not his DR.

Holding a weapon two-handed increases your strength bonus by 50%(rounded down).

The heavier the armor, the higher the DR it gives, but also higher the penalties it applies to Dexterity and agility.

Once a character’s HP reaches 0, they are unconscious, if their hit points reaches –half their Maximum HP they die(e.g.: A character with 10 hit points dies when he arrives at -5 hit points).

I looked for spoiler tags but didn´t find them.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by SkullKing; 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM.

the only thing i noted at first is, what do you roll to determine your stats (d20, d10, or 3d6?)
    also the HP semi-concerns me, since if your max stats are, say, 18, then your HP can only be a max of 27, which is really low if you can be expecting to take 12+ damage in a hit. you'd be unconscious in very few turns. do you get armour buffs and can you level your hp? (in a most games i've played, leveling is similar to your points system. so much XP, your "level" goes up, which means you get points to spend in stats)
    it seems like you have a good base to start on though.

what you have is set up similar to pathfinder, only seems to be d10 instead of d20 based. you might have to lower damage-making abilities to compensate for the lower die to roll.
    with a d20 roll you can have higher damage weapons cuz your enemy gets higher roll defense. but if you drop the die value, you should also be halving damage to weapons, say from a d8 to d4, or else it's just a slaughter. noone likes playing a game to just be slaughtered. it needs to be challenging, not impossible.

unless that's what you're going for. there are some campaigns jsut ment to be a gauntlet run until one is left standing. but for a long-running campaign it might need more.
    Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Under the Attributes session it is explained that you have a number of points to distribute. No dice are rolled for character creation.

Under the combat session it is explained that both armor and defensive skills reduce damage.

It was designed for campaigns with a good deal less combat than D&D, and for combat to be a fair deal more dangerous, although it really may be a bit too much, will probably reduce weapon damage, about 1 dice category.

The power level in mind was a lot closer to WHFRP or D20's "Darkness and Dread" for example.

Thank you for the feedback.
      Last edited by SkullKing; 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

ah. i missed that. damn speed reading. although it still seems stacked to killing off characters fast. i know, less combat more RP but a campaign still won't get far if characters die their first fight.
        that actually doesnt change my hp concerns. even if you only put 1 of each point into every other stat, and halved the rest into con and str, that still gives both stats a max of 17. (unless it's given stats PLUS the 4, which is 21 then) which only gives an hp of 26 or 32. even with an armour bonus of, say, +5 it would still only take 4 hits of 12 damage to knock the player unconcience. if they are getting hit by someone with two attacks, that's half their health in one round.

i've played games with lower amount of battles and great volumes of damage (COC is great for that) but you have to take the damage to the characters into account.
        Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

True, changed the HP, will run some texts when I get the time.

thank you very much.
          Last edited by SkullKing; 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

no worries. i ran it by hubs, he said a good heavy-rp, mass-damage system to glance at might be the Warhammer/40k verse. (he works for a tabletop gaming company).
            the biggest problem with taking inspiration from d20 games to build a new one is that they are ment for very combat heavy games. you might have to work from scratch on a lot of elements.

Comment

Believe it or not, I didn´t really base anything directly on d20.

Frankly, I thought the only thing they had in common was the number of attributes, but guess I am a little too close see it. Character's attributes should go from 1 to 10.

That is cool, I hope to someday, work with game design, though ideally, electronic games.

I do believe I am a good DM, but this is my first serious attempt to create a System, that is easilly to convert to an computer RPG.
              Last edited by SkullKing; 10-04-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

er. luck then. that's something very hard to do. not only for them being diffrent medias, but attracting very diffrent types of gamers. i remember how much annoyance came out among tabletop gamers around here when 4th edition came out because it was like "playing WOW on a table" and they hated it.

from hubs: "it was more WoW the RPG than WoW the RPG was". lol. he's a smartass.

Comment

Too true.

thankfully this is something I am doing for fun, and don´t have any money riding on it. That being said there is a fair number of tabletop gamers that like CRPGs and vicê versa, but each format has their strengths, and they play them for different reasons.

Neverwinter nights was very well received by the tabletop crowd.

For example cool-downs work a lot better in CRPG than they do in tabletop.

Amusingly enough, the old Dungeons and dragons computer RPGs were well received, but 4E's computer game "Daggerdale" which was a perfect media to take advantage of 4E's rules, was a very poorly made product. They really wasted an opportunity.

Neverwinter nights was very well received by the tabletop crowd, for example.

Comment

My GM (or DM if you will) gives us the ability of one card/attribute point per 20 role playing points. RPP's are earned by our actions, I'm not sure HOW she determines what action gets what points but it seems simple enough. However the game I play has card abilities we buy to help with spells, skills, or added str/mag/int/ect...

This makes it that we HAVE to play and that we HAVE to contribute.

Comment

Odds are she goes by gut instinct, honed gut instinct, and improvisation are two of the most powerful tools for a GM.

Personally I rely heavily on both.

Comment

I am curious why you have so many different attributes? Especially if you are going for rules-lite. Could you combine DEX and AGI into one attribute? How about INT/WIL and/or PER/CHA? Having 4-5 attribute to deal with and remember what they do is easier for both the players, and for determining which attribute will influence which action.

Similarly, could you combine some of the skills? First Aid + Medicine, Stealth + Camouflage, etc. Instead of having combat skills for each individual weapon, group them up: Longblades (long swords, great swords, bastard swords, scimitars), short blades (daggers, short swords, rapiers), polearms (spears, halberds, lances), axes (great axes, hand axes, throwing axes), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
                          I am curious why you have so many different attributes? Especially if you are going for rules-lite. Could you combine DEX and AGI into one attribute? How about INT/WIL and/or PER/CHA? Having 4-5 attribute to deal with and remember what they do is easier for both the players, and for determining which attribute will influence which action.

Mostly because it was the best and smallest combination I found that could sucessfully describe my characters

DEX/AGI: Can´t really make a jewelsmith, or forger with nimble fingers, but not agile, for example. they really are very diferent things, and there are plane of people who are good in one but not the other. DEX is all about small, and delicate movements, for a more classic example, The mythological hero Siegfried was very agile, but had very low dexterity.

INT/WILL: Can´t make a intelligent but weak-willed, Scholar for example, nor a dumb brute with an iron will.

PER/CHA: Completelly unrelated with each other, and both mechanically significant.

I also found the the clear division of 4 physical, and 4 "mental" attributes, helps to remember them, better than just 8 attributes.

Ano therthing is that by keeping the range from 1 to 10, makes easier to remember, since we are used to a decimal sistem, I also think(but am not completely sure yet) a low enough number that it can be represented by circles in the character sheet specially considering that the average is 4.

For Example:
                          STR 00000
                          CON 000

And so on.

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
                          Similarly, could you combine some of the skills? First Aid + Medicine, Stealth + Camouflage, etc. Instead of having combat skills for each individual weapon, group them up: Longblades (long swords, great swords, bastard swords, scimitars), short blades (daggers, short swords, rapiers), polearms (spears, halberds, lances), axes (great axes, hand axes, throwing axes), etc.
                          Yes, I can, it is something I am having some trouble, with, finding the right balance. Medicine, is good example, I thought that I could just call it medicine, but I found that having one skill that is very quick to use but of limited effectiveness, and another one that is much more powerful, but needs time to be used, creates interesting choices.

I probably will reduce the number of weapon skills though. And the main difference, between stealth and camouflage, was that with camouflage was about the making of it, like being able to hide weapons caches. but I will take your advice and meld the two, it will make the system leaner.

Thank you for your time
                          Last edited by SkullKing; 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X