What I Learned Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I Learned Today

I wanted to post this on CS, but I would bet you a dollar to a hole in a donut that it would get contentious. Better to be safe than sorry!

Quick background: I have several visible piercings. They go away when I'm at work since I'm masquerading as a professional. I'm happy with them.

There is a convenience store that Mr. Wooden and I frequent due to our mutual addiction to caffeine. The people that work there know us pretty well. Most of the time when they see me, it's either right before or right after work, so my piercings are tucked away. Today, being Saturday, I'm dressed how I normally do out of work and, of course, have everything in.

Apparently, one of the employees wasn't too pleased with this.

What did I learn today, class? I learned that G-d doesn't love me because I have piercings. Yes, I'm destined to a life of unlovedness, because I have holes that I wasn't born with.

I'm not going to that store again for awhile. I'm pissed, to be honest with you. Raging pissed. So angry that I left before I said something that I would regret. I'm religious in my own way and, last time I checked, no one has a direct phone line to G-d and even if they did, what right do they have to judge me. I don't care how well you know me, that's just plain rude.

I know there are hazards to having piercings, but really?

I just love people who think they know the mind of God. Assuming God is even concerned with ear piercings, you'd think he'd tell you himself if it was that big of a deal to him.

Comment

Letter to management. That's wholly unprofessional. Even if you don't go back, I'm sure management would appreciate knowing why and would want to do something about it.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

What Raps said. Totally letter to management time. Massively unprofessional.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly. I have two colour hair, ten holes in my ears and dress unconventionally. You can bet anything you like that if anyone working in a store, cafe, restaurant, pub etc where I was a paying customer treated me like that, I'd be sending in a complaint right away. Basically, as far as a staff member is concerned, it doesn't matter what colour someone's hair is, how many piercings or tattoos they have or what they're wearing; you treat them exactly the same as you'd treat a more conventional person. It doesn't seem as tho this person has learned that particular lesson yet, and they need to do so, fast.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I really hate the mentality that some people have when things like this happen- "You have to expect the attention when you look a certain way, you have no right to complain!"

I'm sorry, but whatever happened to self control, of keeping certain thoughts to yourself, especially when on the job? I know that if I did that on the job, I'd be in some pretty deep shit for my lack of professionalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanita View Post
              I really hate the mentality that some people have when things like this happen- "You have to expect the attention when you look a certain way, you have no right to complain!"

I'm sorry, but whatever happened to self control, of keeping certain thoughts to yourself, especially when on the job? I know that if I did that on the job, I'd be in some pretty deep shit for my lack of professionalism.
              I did expect some rudeness after I got my septum done. I'm fine with people judging me for my piercings...so long as they're not on the clock at the time.

There's a certain amount of preference when it comes to that store. One of the owners is a certain ethnic group and gives preference to that ethnic group. Mr. Rude is also of that ethnic group.

Being a passive aggressive female dog, I almost want to get some fake piercings...

Comment

Originally posted by Amanita View Post
                Attention is one thing, but outright being a dick is another. People who use those arguements think they go hand in hand.

Comment

It's funny. When I worked in retail, I found the customers who had piercings in unusual spots and hair dyed every color of the rainbow were always extremely polite and just plain nice. It was the more conservative ones who tended to act like SCs.

Comment

I can see why you put this in fratching....how rude! Talk about forcing your religious opinion on someone when it's none of their business.

I have one piercing in my nose, 2 in my right ear and one in my left. and that's all I need. And I've worn the nose ring for about 17 years now. The only time I've ever taken it out is for medical reasons (didn't want it pulled out of my nose in an mri ). Otherwise it stays in and if people don't like it they can go fuck themselves I don't care.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

My earrings (baby gauges really) and nose ring are visible 99% of the time. Sometimes, I'll take out my nose ring at night before my shower and forget about it, but usually I have it in. I got my septum done three weeks ago Saturday, so this particular employee had never seen it before.

Mr. Wooden thinks I'm making too big of a deal out of it. I was raised in a Pentecostal household (I'm not Pentecostal myself, but this should help explain my mindset), so faith based attacks on my afterlife make me a little upset.

Comment

I'm dyeing the bottom half of my hair hot pink. I have the kit, I just haven't done it, yet.

It will be interesting to see how people react to that.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oooooh! That sounds really pretty! I got some Manic Panic in Vampire Red and did a peek a boo highlight behind my right ear. It turned out a little more magenta/burgundy than I was expecting. It looks neat though. Like a secret

Comment

I got the Splat complete kit in Pink Fetish.

I was at a Rite Aid and decided that if I was going to do it at all, it was past time I do it.

Also picked up some cheap candycorn colored light strings, too.

^-.-^

Comment

I have yet to have someone say that to me. I am waiting for that moment. I was close though, which I posted in CS.

If an employee said that to me, I would ask for a manager. If it was the other way around, I would call one of my more awesome managers if she was there. I don't have to deal with them. If it was in passing, I would just go "I rather be in hell cause God doesn't like my piercings than be in heaven with a bigot like you" and walk away. But of course, people will probably forget my piercings and see my "Gay Pride" wrist band. That will be fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X