Extended Warranties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Warranties

The EA thread reminds me of a tangent about extended warranties and how I really try not falling victim to them but for some reason if your a cute flirty blonde who I realistically don't have a shot with but can give me the appearance of a shot I figure it worth the gamble. That is easier for me to fall for then high pressure sales of YOU NEED it incase something goes wrong. Also, I go on my likely hood of doing something stupid with said item.

I mean really for a $600 laptop for 1-2 years of coverage against NEXT TO NOTHING that is really likely to happen runs around $200. I those bets with my family we doing alright.

For my Gf she paid something like $250 for a Best Buy protection plan on her thunderbolt which was $600 phone if it needed replaced after upgrading. She has managed to get it replaced 4 times in a little over a year. Actually, broke the screen again so number 5 will be in a week or two when she gets around to it since it still sort of works. To me that is a good investment dropping the average to $50 for each replacement, considering verzions monthly protection COSTED MORE and also required a deductible of 50-100 for each replacement. Best buy is walk in, borrow a loaner phone in 2-3 days you have a refurb phone to go pick up

Then you drop into areas that make no sense to me. $15-20 coffee maker can get protection for like $3. How many people really have had a coffee maker die just outside of the original warranty but just under a year after purchase, my guess is not many. The kicker is the merchandise itself is probably $5-10. So if they sell 6 coffee makers, 1 dies they make a killing through warranties. Furthermore, I have read some of the terms of these agreements and many aren't as simple as walk into store get same or replacement model and go home, you need to contact some 3rd party company and coordinate with them... instead of just going replacing it,

If something like a coffee maker breaks before its time, just don't buy that kind again. Paying them extra in case it breaks when most people aren't going even to remember they bought the warranty by then just encourages them to make things that break enough that you think you might need it.

I do get them for laptops, though. I've used them too often not to, considering that it's often my fault it broke and that, being told that flat-out, they still don't charge for fixing it. Having an extended warranty also means not even having to *think* about whether it's better to repair the old laptop or to go for a new one. Though that doesn't apply as much as it used to; my current laptop is the first one I've had that I didn't want to replace for anything a new one would do (or do better), but simply because I don't know how long it will keep going and it's getting... well worn.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I always get the 'in case of accidental drop' warranty for a laptop. Because I am very clumsy. I want it protected against my own idiocy. Never have needed it, but worth it just in case.

Comment

If it for something like a cell phone or a laptop/computer/e-tablet, then yeah, I will get an extended warranty. Well also on a vehicle, whenever I get a newer one. Other then that, the item is mostly going to be sitting there......i.e DVD player.

Comment

I usually get them for any electronic device over $100-$200(depending on what it is, camera=yes, computer monitor=no), just because.
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

for our store it's fairly straightforward. for the original warranty period we will ship it to them for you but we need a case number from them. After that if it's a computer or electronic item above 250 we will repair it at our depot or replace it. If it's beneath 250 we either swap with the same model or give store credit of the exact amount paid including tax.

Comment

Working...
            X