E-Cigs in public - yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
    Both hinge on how much obligation we have to avoid triggering rare conditions other people might possibly have.
    And how much obligation those with rare conditions have to manage their own health.

Comment

Just skimming, but it seems to me that hospitals might be one of the BEST places for vaping. Think of how often patients will either defiantly sneak a smoke in the loo, or drag themselves to the smoking area if they're even remotely able to walk (or con a family member into wheeling them down) plus the rare but nasty accidents stemming from stubborn or ignorant patients who smoke while on O2.

If they're that damn addicted that they just must have it, then it might make sense to at least minimize the harm. If you're a bleeding heart, justify that it's kinder. If you're a hardass, it carries less expensive risk.
      Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
      Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

The smoking area for the local hospital is all the way across the street....in front of the cemetery. I know they really try to use patches, but you do occasionally see a nurse helping an old biddy across the street with her IV line so she can have a smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
          And how much obligation those with rare conditions have to manage their own health.
          Right, which is the other side of the same question, so, since I was tired of typing on an iPod screen with my big fingers, I left off
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I know several coworkers/employees using these and I much prefer them over the regular cigs. I've seen the vapor/mist kinds and the non-vapor kinds. I prefer the non-vapor kind but my allergies do not react to the vapor ones so they are not bad.

I think it is a better alternative then a regular cigs and should be allowed inside because there is not second hand "smoke" that others can be exposed to. There is no cancer causing material and there are less people that have allergies to the vapor.
            "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
              The smoking area for the local hospital is all the way across the street....in front of the cemetery. I know they really try to use patches, but you do occasionally see a nurse helping an old biddy across the street with her IV line so she can have a smoke.
              My local hospital has their "smoking area" in the grassy median strip in the bus interchange.

The problem with it is that more often than not, patients continue to light up at the bus stop (ugh) or worse, go across the street and light up inside the bus shelter there....which is provided for the students who catch the loop bus that goes around campus (the local hospital is part of the University campus...in fact, there are two hospitals in my state that are more or less "teaching" hospitals, although one of those hospitals has an agreement with the nearby womens and childrens hospital for their interns to do paediatric and OB/GYN rotations)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernZel View Post
                Late with this reply, but as a newly ecig "n00b" (on day 2 I've already cut my analogue cigarettes down by 80% - yay me!) I'd recommend a so-called "clearomizer", which is an atomizer one can see through. This way I can mix liquids exactly as I want AND hold track of how much liquid I'm vaping through a day. Right now (since I'm attempting to replace the cigarettes) I'm operating with two "tobacco" blends, but I'm planning on mixing a tobacco/fruit blend soon. All my liquids contain the same amount of nicotine so no risk of overdosing here.
                Oh I premix a fixed amount in a clear plastic 30 ml bottle then fill my cartomizer when needed. I fill the bottle 2x a week, less messy to carry a small premixed bottle around than everything. I just didn't pay attention to the Nic strength and mixed it at aprox 40mg cig strength. Big idiotic moment. Now I'm at errr.....I think...5-6 mg (2-5% nicotine per 30 ml bottle 35% flavouring 45% glycerol 15% water, I prefer my mix thin) and happy, just stay away from PG stuff, stick to VG. The % are very fluid and approx, I'm far too lazy to sit there with a syringe and calculate everything to the millilitre I do the that's enough drops system. Just make note of your nicotine % or you will have a durr moment.

I would use no nic but I can tell the difference. I love me a Riva though and I'm about to buy a clearomizer tomorrow when I buy some more batteries and VG nic. Got to get my order in before the xmas shipping clogs up the mail system. Takes 2 weeks on a good shipping week and 1 week in customs.

To be safe stay away from the PG stuff.
                Last edited by Zaiida; 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaiida View Post
                  Oh I premix a fixed amount in a clear plastic 30 ml bottle then fill my cartomizer when needed. I fill the bottle 2x a week, less messy to carry a small premixed bottle around than everything. I just didn't pay attention to the Nic strength and mixed it at aprox 40mg cig strength. Big idiotic moment. Now I'm at errr.....I think...5-6 mg (2-5% nicotine per 30 ml bottle 35% flavouring 45% glycerol 15% water, I prefer my mix thin) and happy, just stay away from PG stuff, stick to VG. The % are very fluid and approx, I'm far too lazy to sit there with a syringe and calculate everything to the millilitre I do the that's enough drops system. Just make note of your nicotine % or you will have a durr moment.

I would use no nic but I can tell the difference. I love me a Riva though and I'm about to buy a clearomizer tomorrow when I buy some more batteries and VG nic. Got to get my order in before the xmas shipping clogs up the mail system. Takes 2 weeks on a good shipping week and 1 week in customs.

To be safe stay away from the PG stuff.
                  Thanks for the advice. At the moment I'm using some premixed PG liquids at 16-18 mgs so no worries there, I'm gonna switch to VG liquids as soon it is time to get new supplies, and eventually go down to 6-12 mgs liquids.

Comment

Working...
                  X