"Your" experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Your" experience

Lets not make this a gun debate but more about fucking ignorance and stupidity. Due to recent events someone posted this on facebook

"I'm extremely knowledgeable in weaponry, having a father who is a CC permitted gun enthusiast and a boyfriend who is a Marine. I've seen the damage a large gun can do and I've shot an AR15"

I havn't seen a response as to how her dad's and bf's weapons experience translates to anything more than shooting an AR15. One could argue that both dad and bf are extremely knowledgeable of weapons.

To me this is sort of like saying my dad is a mechanic and I helped him by tightening bolts on day but other than that I don't do shit with tools and my bf also does his own oil changes.... Yeah you have more experience than other people who have never done it before but your also not magically qualified.

You're making sense, stop it
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The stupid.. it hurts.

So... does she get her "extreme knowledge" of guns through osmosis or something? >_<

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
        To me this is sort of like saying my dad is a mechanic and I helped him by tightening bolts on day but other than that I don't do shit with tools and my bf also does his own oil changes.... Yeah you have more experience than other people who have never done it before but your also not magically qualified.
        Hehe by that logic, I helped my dad build a kit car (fiberglass MG TD replica on VW Beetle chassis) when I was 3 Sure, I went with him to scrapyards looking for part, handed him the occasional tool, part, beer, or sandwich in the garage, but there was only so much I could do then. Sure, I was interested in old cars, and read as much as I could about them. Not many 5-year-olds could go "that's a '54 Hudson" and be right

But seriously, it wasn't until I got the MG, and actually engaged in some serious wrench-slinging. At one point, I had that entire car down to a rolling shell. I had a shop rebuild the engine, get the car running again, and do some welding, paint and body work. At the time, I didn't have the skills or time to do it.

That's changed a bit. Last summer, I redid the entire front suspension. Pain in the ass, but once you have the proper tools, and look at it carefully, easy enough. Once everything was apart, the rusty parts got cleaned up, painted, fitted with new polyurethane bushes (they last longer than rubber), new nuts and bolts, pins and other parts, it was hard to tell from new. Even the guys at the local Pep Boys, where I took the car to get inspected, were impressed.

Unfortunately, I know several "car guys" that have no idea what they're doing. They think that because they own an old car, they're immediately an expert on all things automotive. They don't know an SU carb from their ass

Comment

Does knowledge diffuse now? If I stand next to my little cousin, will he instantly learn chemistry and math? God that's so convenient.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

God, I wish. I would be a biochemist!

I feel like I know a little more about science than the average bear because my husband keeps me updated in his field, but I don't pretend to understand what he studies, the experiments he does or even exactly how the scientific method works.

Also, I shot a gun once.

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
              *snip*

Also, I shot a gun once.
              Oooh, me too, me too! So does that mean I'm an expert too?

... even though I dropped the thing and nearly bolted because although I knew it would make a loud noise, I wasn't expecting what actually came out of it? ...

My ears rang for three days afterwards.

And I didn't get far, because the senior officer standing behind us got a good grip on me and told me to calm down, pick up the rifle and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                "I'm extremely knowledgeable in weaponry, having a father who is a CC permitted gun enthusiast and a boyfriend who is a Marine. I've seen the damage a large gun can do and I've shot an AR15"
                And I have an AK47, so? Would be my response. [And I have a CC license for here in Connecticut, FWIW. Well, I also used to be licensed for Armed security in both Virginia and Connecticut.]

Actually my personal belief is that if I do not have a felony, nor a history of violent crimes, I should be allowed to have anything I bloody well want in the US and US territories. I have handled weapons of all sorts from the time I was 8 years old and had my first instructions in firearm safety [and archery range safety, you can do serious damage with the little 'toy' fiberglass bow and arrow sets.] I will agree that I do not have the right nor expectation to possess firearms in any country other than the US and her territories.

[Actually around the house we have handguns ranging from the cutest little 22 Iver Johnson semiauto up to a .44 Dan Wesson pin gun, my favorite is my antique 1939 Sauer 38H for shooting, for display is the WW1 p.08 parabellum, both of which were looted by my dad. I also have his WW2 issue Garand. Rob has a couple Moisen Nagant he likes a lot. In summer months we go through a fair amount of ammo maintaining proficiency.]

Comment

Originally posted by Pixilated View Post
                  Oooh, me too, me too! So does that mean I'm an expert too?

... even though I dropped the thing and nearly bolted because although I knew it would make a loud noise, I wasn't expecting what actually came out of it? ...
                  According to the post-9/11 jokes, I guess that would mean you passed your French army firearms qualification.

Comment

I read a lot of nonfiction. I would be doing the world a public service to go outside and stand next to people. Or does it only work if they know you?
                    "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                    We are contented, because he says we are
                    He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

I've shot a gun once; that makes me an expert, right? XD

Nope. It was a gun on a fairground game (back in the mystic years before health and safety rules) and I can honestly say I'm more proficient with a bow and arrow than I am with a gun.
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I've hucked an ax and got it to stick in the target at a Ren faire. I guess that makes me Xena.

Comment

Well an update from Christmas, my brother can now say he has fired an AR15 and and SKS, which will put him on equal standing with the girl from my OP. Being unable to come closer than 1ft from a target 10ft in front of him, I will have to follow up any responses from that girl with "BTW, did ya actually hit anything?"

As a few people have pointed out, just because you have also done something once does not mean you have done it well at all, especially if any skill or training is needed in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                            I've hucked an ax and got it to stick in the target at a Ren faire. I guess that makes me Xena.
                            Only if you did it in a leather miniskirt while shouting a ululating war cry. Wow, I spelled ululating right the first time. I was not expecting that.

Comment

I'm not not sure if its a flip side or the same side but also people who won't listen to people with real experience because they've done it once or twice so they're an expert.
                              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X