Asmr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asmr?

Has anyone heard of this? Apparently it's been around the interwebs for a while now, but I just heard of it yesterday

ASMR is a phenomenon that stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. It hasn't been extensively researched, but it's the name given to a "tingly" feeling that people get when exposed to certain stimuli. Some people describe it as a tingling in the brain area that can spread to your limbs if you're feeling really good. There are many triggers, such as a soft voice, or the sound of a pen against paper, or just having personal attention. There's been a surge of videos that feature these stimuli, and there are many YouTube channels devoted to ASMR.

It's not a sexual thing, but it's similar to sexual turn-ons in that everyone supposedly has different triggers. My fiance says he gets tingly in his head and a little bit all over when he sees the videos of girls talking softly. I didn't really get a tingly feeling, but it is pretty relaxing to watch some of the videos. They are probably a great distraction for when I'm stressed or anxious. I guess I just haven't found the right one yet?

This is an article that has a list videos with common triggers:
    5 YouTube Videos That Will Give you ASMR Shivers

They didn't really do anything for me...I think I have that type of reaction to an actual massage, but not a video where someone is pretending to give me a massage. Idk. What about you guys?

Only the fountain pen gave me a response... but I didn't find it pleasant. It felt more like nails on a chalkboard to me believe it or not.

I have had some pleasant ASMR responses, however, but they are often when I'm listening to music. Sometimes a powerful climatic end to a score or musical piece will send shivers down my spine, or an amazing riff during a rock solo, or perhaps even a thought provoking lyric.

I think the only thing I can think of that causes a positive feedback response is the sound of bacon sizzling on a stovetop, but I can't tell if it's the sound or the smell that causes my nerves to get all giddy.

Comment

So, this would be what you call it when, say, someone's voice "sends shivers down your spine."

For me, it's certain pitches of very deep male voices. And the idea that some vocal stimuli trigger a pleasure center response is not at all far fetched.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Reaching the Tour the Mansion Multiball in the Addams Family pinball game, or similar "Completion" multiball modes in Twilight Zone and Star Trek: The Next Generation, gives me ASMR shivers. =^_^=

Comment

None of those videos did anything for me. Honestly, I don't have any idea what triggers me if anything.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post

I have had some pleasant ASMR responses, however, but they are often when I'm listening to music. Sometimes a powerful climatic end to a score or musical piece will send shivers down my spine, or an amazing riff during a rock solo, or perhaps even a thought provoking lyric.
            I had not heard of this but have experienced it. I didn't know it had a name. But my trigger is music, especially music I really love or am in the mood for. Gives me goosebumps and a tingling sensation in my brain sometimes as well.

Huh...who knew.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Erm, does anyone feel it building up before the actual response, or was that just me? If it was just me, then its probably not it, cos I can simulate the feeling at will. Tingling light static sensation from the top back of the skull down the spine, and a bit onto the shoulders and arms.
              Helps me decieve my senses for a while into thinking the air is colder than it really is. Useful in the heat, which I really dislike

Comment

Ok..as normal I am kinda strange. The feel of silk or satin is a trigger for me, as well as somebody running their fingers through my hair. I know a long time ago a certain voice pitch would do it..not a high pitch..its hard to explain..something like a childs pitch but not quite I guess you would call it baby talk (from full grown women).

Foreign accents can..sometimes..but it is not a constant thing. The same accent may or may not trigger. A very light touch on my arm can, again sometimes..sometimes not. And yes .. some music.
                Last edited by Mytical; 01-24-2013, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Bob Ross gets me. But his voice is like audible codeine.

I usually get that feeling watching people quietly paint, draw or otherwise do something creative.

Comment

The only thing that can stop me in my tracks or make me just lose focus of everything else is when I scent a specific perfume off of women. Doesn't give me the typical asmr reaction, but it drives me nuts. Today at the movies, I was watching the previews when a couple walked in and sat down behind me. I got a waft of her perfume and I was overcome with, "Holy shit that smell coming off her is amazing!" I cannot describe the smell, I have nothing in my experience that I can compare the smell to. My God, if I was introduced to a woman who smelled like that I'd probably propose on the spot.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                      The only thing that can stop me in my tracks or make me just lose focus of everything else is when I scent a specific perfume off of women. Doesn't give me the typical asmr reaction, but it drives me nuts. Today at the movies, I was watching the previews when a couple walked in and sat down behind me. I got a waft of her perfume and I was overcome with, "Holy shit that smell coming off her is amazing!" I cannot describe the smell, I have nothing in my experience that I can compare the smell to. My God, if I was introduced to a woman who smelled like that I'd probably propose on the spot.
                      I'm with you on that one, not the typical asmr response but oh some scents will have me following that person home willingly.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

This is very interesting stuff, though I don't think it affects me.

When I want shivers, I get them off watching other people be excited and surprised. Being that fountain tech is my hobby, I love hanging out around the Bellagio in Las Vegas and watching the expressions and reactions of other visitors as they watch 1,219 nozzles perform for them. When people gasp, stare blankly, wipe their eyes, I get a happy, elated feeling bigger than anything else on earth. I don't know why, it's like I'm soaking up the excitement right out of the air.

For some reason, I have a suspicion that I do also have these ASMR reactions to....something.. I just can't seem to remember offhand what it is.

Edit: This does it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_sU8Rmshkc
                        Last edited by Skunkle; 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Anyone who seems to call me by a very bad name behind my back. Even imagining it can do it to me.

Also, anyone who hovers a finger near my head. Or me imagining a gun to my head.

Comment

Working...
                          X